Sniping question

taternut

Apr 12, 2013
Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Hand sluice, Gold bug pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So I got a hint on a creek that supposedly was amazing when dredging was legal in ca. The guy told me there is a lot of exposed bedrock as well. I looked it up on google earth and found the creek and I can see all the bed rock in it. But I don't think it's blm property, actually I'm almost positive it's not. Would sniping be a big no-no if its not on blm? Or can I just say I'm testing my diving gear out? Lol

Upvote 0

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if its private property and you don't have permission then it doesnt matter what you are doing...if you are caught with gold and have gear the owner could go for grand theft as you show intent by possesing the gear.

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Maybe whoever told you it was good would know? I would do it as long as there's no signs, houses, or other buildings indicating somebody owns it. Just bring minimal tools so if somebody asks you just say your going for a swim. (If the creek is big enough..) Don't bring anything you can't fit in your pockets. Tweezers and a bottle.

Last edited:
OP
OP
taternut

taternut

Apr 12, 2013
Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Hand sluice, Gold bug pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There's a few houses along it but I figured I'd scope it out and see if there's anywhere hidden and if there's somewhere I could park my truck, that's not along the creek cause it follows along the road

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The pissed-off girl friend threw your truck keys in the creek, how could anyone fault you for trying to find them?

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have definately hit non-public spots, near roads that you could get to, near houses and not been questioned. If its is an area you pass enough you will see other cars parked sometimes. Seeing the same car parked in a spot often is a good sign also. Bring one of those little green fishing nets and if questioned say you are making "Observations" :icon_thumleft:

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Say you're a biologist and your doing a survey on the creek to see what types of critters are in there =P

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Say you're a biologist and your doing a survey on the creek to see what types of critters are in there =P

Wear a shirt saying "Cal.Berkeley", and if questioned, use terms like "benthic organisms" and "macro-invertebrates" - that will send them back to their TV sets, lol.

Last edited:

Sample Pan Dan

Bronze Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bostonia,Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My buddy told some mountain bikers we were testing for West Nile virus on a little creek we play on. It's on Blm land, but still...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread