Snow Day: Dug Lincolns... Plus A Surprise!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
It was cold and icy here in Charlotte, over the weekend. I was unable to get out and hunt, so I decided to clean some clad, and build a dug Lincoln cent folder. I dumped a bunch of clad into the coin cleaner, and as usual, a few items came out that were not coins.

After tumbling, this item appeared to be a washer. However, I could see a little writing on it...

IMG_20170108_092334_829-1.jpg

I used the Hillbilly Zapper (electrolysis) on it, and this nickel sized trade stimulator token appeared from under the crud.

IMG_20170108_123253_141-1.jpg IMG_20170108_123315_298-1.jpg

Be careful what you throw out!

I also found this "coin" in the tumbled items. Same size as a Lincoln cent, I remember finding it with other coins, but it's made of steel!

IMG_20170108_175825.jpg

I hooked it up to the Hillbilly Zapper, and low and behold, Lincoln's bust appeared... or at least part of the outline of the bust appeared. Squint and use your imagination. Yes, I know the coin is a train wreck. But, it's my first 1943 steel cent!

IMG_20170108_173645_297-1.jpg IMG_20170108_173210_933-1.jpg

Now for the dug folder, here it is. I did fairly well, except for the "S" mint mark coins. There were only about (8) "S" mint marks in the 2000 cents I searched! I plugged the steelie into the folder, even though you can't ID it. I call that "cheating".

IMG_20170108_174128_527-1.jpg

Thanks for looking, and best of luck on your hunts!

Last edited:
Upvote 30

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds.I need to start up a cent book.It might be the only cent's I'll ever be accused of having.:laughing7:

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome!, I dug one once, only reason I know it was a steel cent was because it was in a wheat spill with 4 other copper wheats from the 40s.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good deal Tom. Makes you wonder what gets by us. I found part of a hammer from a musket once that was mixed in with my iron junk. Just never know.

HH RN

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the token and the 43 steel cent.
I would love to find a 43 steel penny. I have found a few copper 43's but since they are not the elusive steel penny, I just spend them. huh?

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Love the token Tom, glad you cleaned that washer fore sure. I dug two 1943 steel pennies this season, the only reason I know they are 1943's and not a hunk of steel is that bother were found with other wheaties in the same holes. My father-in-laws neighbor gave him a nice 1943 Lincoln to give me this past fall.

I see you do the same as I do. I only collect coins that I have dug or are given. I want to bounce your folder against mine. I to am missing many S mint marks. Maybe we ought to take a trip to the wast coast and dig for a weekend, I bet we'd have a better chance of digging those S mint marks.

Do you have a folder for the older Lincolns?

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
be careful driving and operating machinery____________you appear to have a severe case of withdrawal. maybe start going to meetings or take up knitting :dontknow::laughing7:

OP
OP
Carolina Tom

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Love the token Tom, glad you cleaned that washer fore sure. I dug two 1943 steel pennies this season, the only reason I know they are 1943's and not a hunk of steel is that bother were found with other wheaties in the same holes. My father-in-laws neighbor gave him a nice 1943 Lincoln to give me this past fall.

I see you do the same as I do. I only collect coins that I have dug or are given. I want to bounce your folder against mine. I to am missing many S mint marks. Maybe we ought to take a trip to the wast coast and dig for a weekend, I bet we'd have a better chance of digging those S mint marks.

Do you have a folder for the older Lincolns?

The only ones I'm missing are steel or "S" mint mark. Got all of the others!

I was wondering if the guys in Cali dig more "S" coins than I find here. Seems odd, that they would NOT be more of them. They minted less of them, but not that much less. I guess they don't really "circulate" all over the country.

I will go to Cali with you to look for them, but please don't tell anyone that we are doing this, it is embarrassing. Grown men flying across the county to dig up dirty pennies... that's just plain weird!

OP
OP
Carolina Tom

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
be careful driving and operating machinery____________you appear to have a severe case of withdrawal. maybe start going to meetings or take up knitting :dontknow::laughing7:

Very observant PEA. I was pacing around the house looking out the window at the snow, I just had to get my hands on some of those "dirty pennies". A day without dirty pennies, is not a good day!

How Lucky

Jul 14, 2015
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice token! Love finding things like that.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Cool washer! :icon_thumleft:

Lmao @ "hillbilly zapper"! :laughing9:

That's it! I'm about to take the pickaxe for a walk somewhere. :metaldetector:

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the token and the 43 steel cent.
I would love to find a 43 steel penny. I have found a few copper 43's but since they are not the elusive steel penny, I just spend them. huh?

I'll send you an elusive steelie. If you send me one of them copper 43's you keep spending.:laughing7:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the cool token and steel cent! :occasion14: That poor steel guy has seen better days.

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good save on that token, it cleaned up nice!! I've always wondered what a steel penny would look like after laying in the ground. That's one ill probably never find. Lol

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here are a couple of pics of the two I dug this season. Both were dug in small pocket spills along with other wheats from the era. My 1st one I put in a coin folder, the 2nd one I kept the other 2 coins that were dug with it. So if you ever dig a rusty item when you pull a wheat or 2 you can bank that it's more than likely a steel penny.

1st One

20170109_181756.jpg

The one I kept with the other 2 coins from the same plug

20170109_181731.jpg

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here are a couple of pics of the 2 I dug this season. The both were dug in small pocket spills along with other wheats from the era. My 1st one I put in a coin folder, the 2nd one I kept the other 2 coins that were dug with it. So if you ever dig a rusty item when you pull a wheat or 2 you can bank that it's more than likely a steel penny.

1st One

View attachment 1400255

The one I kept with the other 2 coins from the same plug

View attachment 1400256

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I've got some good news for you and some bad news. The good news is, I believe that steel cent is a 1945, which would make it a one-of-a-kind and virtually priceless. The bad news is it's fried and now worthless. :tongue3: :laughing7:

Nice token! :thumbsup:

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, ya didn't have to go diggin' for a "new" find........ya had it all along.........
That's quite the cure for "no-digitis"...........:laughing7:

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wondering if the guys in Cali dig more "S" coins than I find here. Seems odd, that they would NOT be more of them. They minted less of them, but not that much less. I guess they don't really "circulate" all over the country

I rarely find "S" mint mark wheaties. I've found over 250 wheaties, but only 4 have an "S" mint mark.

But here's something weird. I've found 14 mercs and 3 of them have an "S" mint mark! Why would SF minted mercs have a better distribution here in New England than wheaties? Doesn't make sense...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread