Snow on the ground.. 2017 year end Silver... Personal best for me.

Ken C

Nov 18, 2017
Mt. Wolf, PA
Detector(s) used
Deus II / Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on your amazing year. Those walking liberties are beautiful! :occasion14:

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whoaaaaa, Nellie! Amazing year, Sir. 🙌

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm happy for you. I know that NY State gave me a lot of silver over the years. But you had to work for it.
Congratulations on an outstanding year.

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a crazy, crazy big pile of silver you got there! What a drool worthy total for the year. Congrats Ray!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that's a metric ton of silver!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_2017_finds.jpg

CoinNerd86

Mar 14, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to bump this older thread but I saw your Standing Liberty quarters and felt I had to tell you this:

I don't want to get your hopes up, but that dateless Standing Liberty quarter (bottom-leftmost coin in the triangle of quarters in your picture) looks like a 1916 to me. Even in that condition, it could be a $1000+ coin.

As you may already know, the Standing Liberty design was beautiful but much maligned by Mint officials because it (like the Buffalo nickel) didn't strike well and the dates wore off of them far too quickly. Only about 52,000 1916 Standing Liberty quarters were minted and many of those were no doubt melted over the years as "unidentifiable." You may have found one of the survivors and rescued it from a sad fate.

I'm sure you're wondering how it's possible to identify as the date has been obliterated. Well, those Mint officials I mentioned earlier were literally tweaking the design of the Standing Liberty quarter from day one, trying to get it to strike better. Fortunately for coin collectors, the 1916 die has several unique identifiers that were changed in 1917. Therefore, even without the date a 1916 can be positively identified. Go ahead and Google "identifying a dateless 1916 Standing Liberty" or something similar and you should be able to find some helpful information. I see that you have a 1917 as well. Compare the reverses (backs) of your dateless and your '17. Both should have no stars beneath the eagle - this is a design found only on 1916s and 1917s, so if it matches, you're halfway there. Then take a look at the drape on Liberty. To me, Liberty's drape on your dateless quarter has an unmistakable "lazy parenthesis" shape that's only found on '16s. It's flatter than the 1917 "half-circle" drape. The difference is subtle but one of the sure earmarks of a '16. (They kept tweaking this drape well into the '20s. Take a look at some of your other SLQ's and you'll see it became much shorter in later years.)

I'm very excited for you and your potential gold mine. If all else fails, any coin dealer worth his or her salt should be able to tell you what you have. And if you DO have a '16, I strongly encourage you to send it in to PCGS or NGC to get it authenticated and slabbed - it's a $1000 coin even in Poor-1, dateless condition. (Yours actually looks like a Fair-2 or AG-3, which means more $$$)

Best of luck and good wishes!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread