dfxdude

Jun 29, 2004
Wilmont, MN
Detector(s) used
White's DFX (2) V3i(1)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"SNOWBIRD" heading SOUTH

Hey all, cabin fever has hit and even though this has been warmer winter than normal, its time to find some frost free ground before the thaw in March. So I'm headed south to Texas, New Mexico and Arizona for the next 6 weeks. I did the same thing last winter and picked up 600+ coins and 7 rings(4 of them sterling silver), so I got a jump on 2006 MD'ing that I wouldn't have had if I had stayed here. I'll try to sign in occasionally and share any decent finds. THINK SPRING, YOU ALL ! ! !
Butch, aka DFXDude / Renville County, MN

Blackjack77

Jun 16, 2006
Minnesota
Re: "SNOWBIRD" heading SOUTH

Butch- -good luck down south. Its been a warm winter, but
up North the ground is frozen solid. with the lack of snow,did take the
detector out but its frustrating to hear signals and not be able to dig!! :(
HH

OP
OP
dfxdude

dfxdude

Jun 29, 2004
Wilmont, MN
Detector(s) used
White's DFX (2) V3i(1)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It looks like I brought the cold from Minnesota with me. It was 70 in Oklahoma City yesterday(Thursday) and it was 19 today at 2 PM and businesses were closing due to ice storm. It is raining and 34 degrees here near Ft. Worth and ice to come in next two days. HUMBUG ! ! ! And the weather is going to be in just the 30's & 40's like it was in Minnesota just a few days ago. I did find 5 pennies in a tot lot in Mulvane, Kansas and 23 cents in a park in Edmond, OKlahoma yesterday. So I have a grand total of 2 dimes and 8 pennies so far this year.

OP
OP
dfxdude

dfxdude

Jun 29, 2004
Wilmont, MN
Detector(s) used
White's DFX (2) V3i(1)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bah Humbug!
Last year when I had the trek to Texas, NM and AZ I had above average temps. I was gone 6 weeks and had 600+ coins and 7 rings(4 silver) by the time I got home. This time around, no such luck. Ice storms for 3 days at Dallas-Fort Worth, then a day of cold, then a day of 3" inches of snow. Then rain or drizzle. Temps didn't get to 50 in the 7 days I was there. Then went to Houston and nothing but drizzle or rain, same at South Padre Island, so I drove back to Fort Worth for two days to dry out. Then to Midland, TX and on to Tucson, AZ where I finally got some warm weather. I did manage a silver ring in a city park in Springtown, TX the second time around. Only have about 70 coins so far, and havent looked at any of them closely yet. I did get a 55 wheatie in pocket change in Texas. But I have noticed the temps up there on the frozen tundra(Minnesota) and I got out just in time. They are blaming me for bringing it with me. Hope to find a couple of warm days in Apache Junction to get out a little more. Butch/Dfxdude

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
OP
OP
dfxdude

dfxdude

Jun 29, 2004
Wilmont, MN
Detector(s) used
White's DFX (2) V3i(1)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well the snowbird trip is over as I arrived home to -13 degrees on Valentine's Day morning at 2 AM. It was close to 80 degrees in Tucson, AZ 5 days earlier. The weather for the 2 weeks I was in Texas was crappy for the most part including 3 days of ice, one day of 3" of snow and generally cold weather below 50 degrees in Dallas-Fort Worth area. Then is seemed like is was a constant drizzle or rain along the gulf coast for several days all the way from Galveston to South Padre Island. Finally got to Arizona and the temps were much nicer. But the coin count was down from 600 last year to 128(all clad) this year with just one solitary silver ring compared to 7 rings(4 silver) last year. Did pick up coins in 9 new zip codes.......Mulvane, KS,---Edmond, OK,---Harlingen, TX,---South Padre Island, TX,---,Midland, TX,---Florence, AZ,--- Miami, AZ,--- Winkelman, AZ and Tucson, AZ.
Got a 1955d wheatie in pocket change somewhere along the way. Got a nice "Winnie the Pooh" lapel pin at Ft. Lowell Park in Tucson.
While driving around Tucson, I saw another MD'er swinging a BIGFOOT coil in a school yard on a Sunday afternoon. I talked to him and he was a regular MD'er and belonged to an MD club in Tucson. We exchanged calling cards. He said their club saved aluminum pull tabs and the proceeds were turned over to Ronald McDonald House.
The pipes froze in the basement of my house while I was gone so I had no running water when I got back. It was rectified by the end of the next day, so it wasn't a prolonged inconvenience. Temps look to be in the 30's this week and there was a lot of snow melt today(Presidents Day). I'm ready for Spring...........! ! ! ! !

Blackjack77

Jun 16, 2006
Minnesota

Butch-- -welcome back to the frozen North. Weather forcaster said We just
finished 22 days below normal- -its been cold!!!
sounds like you had a good trip even if the "count" wasn't as high as last
years. You avoided some nasty weather back here.
I'll second the "can't wait for spring"
tim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread