Snows Hill, TN

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
http://www.tennessee-scv.org/Camp1513/allison.htm

. . . While camped near Liberty, the squadron was warned of the approachment of Federal troops from west of town. A guard of ten men was sent to investigate and near Salem church a column of Yankees was spotted. The guards opened fire on the advancing Bluecoats and quickly raced back to camp to warn the rest of the men. The firing had warned the men in camp and they quickly saddled their horses and started the supply wagons toward Snow's Hill, a steep high ground that was easily defended by the often out-numbered Confederates. A running fight ensued. At Dry Creek bridge, Capt. Wright's Co. C. stopped and waited for the Federals. Once in sight they opened fire, stalling the yankkes for a bit, then riding on. Capt. Reece's Co. B. used the same tactic a little ways up the road at the Stanford home. At Ashbury Church, Co. A., was able to hold the enemy long enough for the supply wagons to make it up Snow's Hill. This fight involved over 1000 Federal troops and a total of 75 Confederate troops, with 8 Yankees killed and 1 Confederate wounded. Believing that Allison's Cavalry was the advanced guard of Gen. John Hunt Morgan's command, the Federals did not attempt to pursue the units up the steep ground.

http://tennesseeencyclopedia.net/imagegallery.php?EntryID=D022

DeKalb County furnished almost as many Union troops as it did Confederate troops in the Civil War. Fighting occurred around Liberty in 1863 and included the battle of Snow's Hill on April 3, which engaged about two thousand men on each side. After the armies left, guerrillas, or "bushwhackers," terrorized both Union and Confederate sympathizers in the county. Bitter feelings about the war lasted for decades and were especially strong at election time. Not long after the war, Dowelltown grew up one mile east of Liberty. Named by the postmaster, Frank Dowell, it became the home of several Union army veterans.

http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/Fort/2754/2dKY_Sifakis.html

Snow's Hill (April 3, 1863)

woodyw

Feb 22, 2007
Azle, Texas
Detector(s) used
BH Land Star
outdoorsup - I am not finding a battle for Snows Hill in any of my data or online. Could it have been known by a different name ??

Woody

OP
OP
O

outdoorsup

May 9, 2004
Lake Ozark, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites 4900, Garrett Ace 250
Hello, and thanks for the great information so far. The battle took place outside of Liberty TN and Dowelltown, TN in the area known as snows hill. There is a historical marker that says the The Battle of Snows Hill fought here during this time etc. The marker is now 120 mile from me so I cant go and look. I appreciate any information you can and have found. It may even be called Snowhill, snowshill, snow hill or snows Hill. Thanks again and now I need to find a hunting partner in the area. Good luck all.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Its Snow's Hill if its by Liberty

Battle of Snow Hill
On April 3, 1863, two Union brigades under Gen. Stanley advanced to this position to battle a Confederate Division commanded by Col. Gano of Morgan's Cavalry 1/2 mile east on Snow Hill. Union wounded were taken to the Williams house 300 yards to the east. Union dead were buried 300 yards northeast in unmarked graves. Confederate dead were buried near the Methodist Church 4 miles east in unmarked graves. Stone breastworks used by the Confederates are still present at the foot of Snow Hill.

hasbeen

Jan 4, 2006
I was at Liberty,Dowelltown,Snow Hill,and Smithville yesterday.

The historical marker for the skirmish at Snow Hill is 3 1/2 miles east of the intersection of Tn.53 and US 70 which is in Liberty.The marker is on the east side of the junction of Dry Creek Rd. and US 70 which is at the east limits of Dowelltown.

Turn south on Dry Creek Rd. then turn east onto the first blacktop road and it will take you into the community of Snow Hill,about 3.2 miles.This may be the road along which the skirmish was fought or the road farther to the south that leads to Snow Hill may be the one.

I spoke with several people in the area, none had any knowledge of the stone breastworks.

This area would be very hard to detect in the summer as it is very grown up with trees and weeds.Area is very rough and rocky.

I live about 28 miles SW of Liberty but seldom go to that area.

hasbeen

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread