SNY - Belt Plate.......What a nice surprise!

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This weekend started out like any other with a plan on where we were going to detect and the time we were going to meet…..but that changed quickly when a friend I was going digging with could not make it at the last minuet…So I decided to make my way down to Allegany county where we had planed to go, shortly after that phone call I decided to call another friend that I go detecting with “Jim B”. The funny thing is, he was heading down to Allegany county also…….so we decided to hook up and do some detecting. After giving me the location where they were going to be, I put the info in my GPS and within a short time I arrived at the location…. Now the walk was not far, but it was up an old horse and wagon road that is no longer being used. After about a 15-minute walk, I arrived at the old foundation. I seen Jim talking to someone, it was a friend of his and a member of our club. His name was also Jim and we meet around a month ago at one of our club functions…. what a small world! This story gets good right off the bat…he hands me a silver coin that he just found and it was a good one….silver and old… real old. It turned out to be an early English silver…It was the size of a silver US half but had no date….With Jim now being video taped and excited about his find, I just said "that’s a nice find now its my turn" and laughed....……I turned on the detector and off I went ……but its gets better. After finding a few old beer can tops left by some old woodland beer drinkers! I pulled out a detectorests treat!!! and it was one of those finds on the old have to find list….this beautiful “SNY” pre Civil War Belt Plate. Now I was more surprised than anyone….right after Jim found what is definitely a first for him , I also find a first Plate of this type and my second to date.

P9030037 Large Web view.jpg

P9030033 Medium Web view.jpg

P9030036 Large Web view.jpg

After doing a little research on this plate on the web , here is some information on this particular plate…….
The design follows the Regulation 1839 and was intended for New York troops. This large plate with well formed thin letters and wire hooks, would appear to date well before the war to the "Dragoon" period, however none of these have been found at any Civil War sites. Apparently these plates with the belts and cartridge boxes, were trapped in a warehouse somewhere in New York and simply missed the war, even though troops in the field could certainly have used them. Designed for a 2 inch belt, the plate was die struck on thin brass sheet, solder filled, wire hooks are right handed (two wire hooks under the "S"). These plates were made in the 1840’s and were used up to the Civil war. With all that said....there is mixed reviews regarding this buckle....some sites say it was used during the Civil War and some say it was pre Civil War. I guess will have to just keep digging............! http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~scprnyz/Uniform_Guidelines.html

I know one thing, I was surprised to see it and never expected it!!! The rest of the day we all found some nice stuff including a nice bell, a couple of old dresses pins (one the shape of a heart) and the other with a floral design. Sorry I don’t have picks of their items but I’m sure they will be posted.

P9030052 Medium Web view.jpg

The large cent is an 1839 the Indian 1892 , wheat’s are 1909,1916 they were found at another cellar hole on the property….

P9030053 Medium Web view.jpg
P9030046 Large Web view.jpg

P9030048 Large Web view.jpg

.All in all, it was a terrific day with plenty of nice Relics and a couple of firsts to go along with it…………..

Keep in Digging!!! John

Upvote 0

pjroo33

Oct 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!!!! Great hunt!!!! Congrats on the BANNER

DetectoDude

May 2, 2004
So. Ca.
Ok, you have always out hunted us on the Brother's and Others hunts, and won the chicken, but now it is time to tell you the truth. You are one lucky DOG!!!!! WTG!!!! I'll have you on my team anytime! Congrats! I hope this makes best finds of the year! :tongue3:

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a your great finds and congrats on the banner! :headbang: :hello2:

camb1

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2006
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000 & Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:thumbsup: Awesome Hunt with some beautiful finds to say the least. I wish you had made a video. :thumbsup:

DetectoDude

May 2, 2004
So. Ca.
I think you have earned this!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The FAMOUS SCREAMING CHICKEN AWARD

Attachments

• Heneretta 14.JPG
    Heneretta 14.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 2,079

kansas coin hunter

Feb 24, 2008
kansas
Detector(s) used
whites q2 6000 di series 3 6000di pro and whites bulleye pin pointer
now why in the hell it an't it on the banner lot better than some of the other stuff kansas coin hunter banner vote from me

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kansas coin hunter said:
now why in the hell it an't it on the banner lot better than some of the other stuff kansas coin hunter banner vote from me

You apparently Don't look at the Banner

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff of pa said:
kansas coin hunter said:

You apparently Don't look at the Banner
Must have been an......"oversight" ;D

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's a great looking plate... Man I love this hobby, never know what your going to get..

Congratulations on the great belt plate! I enjoyed the story and the history of the plate that you provided. Your find adds another page to the history of that plate. Obviously not all them sat in the storehouse!
Nice going,
Dave.

Ragic

Nov 2, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 and Tesoro Silver Umax
I'm from Western NY too, I saw the video on YouTube and was not surprised at all that things like that can be found here. Great job! I love it!

IAsoldier

Apr 8, 2008
MV, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 with 11 inch coil. BLuetooth head set and Minelab pin pointer. My back is the Minelab Explorer II w/ 12 x 9 NEL coil, Minelab pinpointer and Deep woods headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG on the Banner and nice relic and coins :headbang:

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible find John, that was a super nice surprise for you...CONGRATS!!

:wink: RR

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread