So, has anyone found some BT earbuds that they like yet?

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

parkgt

Feb 19, 2013
Western AR
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, XP Deus, previous CTX and 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DL, the Sennheiser CX 6.00BT are reported to be very nice, but they come at a price of about $100 on amazon.

You must be careful to get true Aptx LL earbuds. Some mention Low Latency in the description but not in the specs. Several guys have been burned by this.

I have compared standard Aptx to Aptx LL and there is a noticeable difference in lag. Hold out for a pair of LL.

Here is a link to the official Qualcomm list of Aptx products; click the tab for the Low Latency. You will see that there are not many choices listed at the moment.

https://www.aptx.com/products?field_aptx_type_tid=484

I was able to get a sample pair of the Levn M78 direct from the factory in China. They work well. Unfortunately they don't seem to have any retail channel yet.

Last edited:

Larwar

Jul 23, 2014
New Richmond WI
Detector(s) used
A T Pro. Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sound peats on Amason about $28.00 and free shipping they work great and music sounds good too.

parkgt

Feb 19, 2013
Western AR
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sound peats on Amason about $28.00 and free shipping they work great and music sounds good too.

Unfortunately they are not Aptx Low Latency. As mentioned above the lag will be noticeable when compared to headphones or earbuds that are LL.
Some may not notice or care but once you experience the difference it is hard to accept less than LL.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was at Wally World today and was just checking out what they had for earbuds. a young guy asked if I needed help and so I explained that I was looking for BT LL earbuds but I didn't believe that they had anything remotely like that. He stared at me and asked what I was talking about so I tried to explain. Finally told him to look it up on his phone, so he googled it and then said, no, they didn't and then walked off. So, not every kid knows everything electronically LOL

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have never had a problem with headphones. When I go to dig a target I remove my headphones and I never get sweaty. I tried earbuds and they are more agravation than they are worth. I have to remove them too.. Maybe some people leave their headphones on all the time and the same with buds and that's cool if that's what they like and prefer.

parkgt

Feb 19, 2013
Western AR
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never had a problem with headphones. When I go to dig a target I remove my headphones and I never get sweaty. I tried earbuds and they are more agravation than they are worth. I have to remove them too.. Maybe some people leave their headphones on all the time and the same with buds and that's cool if that's what they like and prefer.

Can't imagine having to stop and remove headphones every time I dig, that would really slow me down putting them on and off, especially in the winter with a hood on. I don't understand what aggravation you have had with earbuds. Wireless earbuds are the least aggravating I have used. Light, cool or warm as desired depending on head gear.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
half the places I hunt are either messy from dirt or mud, or worse, have an abundance of fire ants to deal with. taking headsets off and setting them down can be asking for trouble....at least for me. earbuds are light, don't get hot and are easy for me to deal with 95% of the time. And yeah, you don't want fire ants around your face or ears, not fun.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Sennhiesers a little too pricey, especially for non-sweatproof buds, doubt they would last the summer for me. I use Anker Soundcore Curve buds. They are not APTX LL but are APTX so the lag is more than tolerable (non APTX BT AAC lag is unusable IMO). They are sweatproof/water resistant and very reasonably priced at about $25. Don't get the new Anker Soundcore Spirit X's as they are not APT X. I like the full sized BT APT X LL earphones the best (see recommendations in this forum) for audio and comfort but have found none you can wear if caught in a downpour so I use the Ankers in hot or wet weather.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Sennhiesers a little too pricey, especially for non-sweatproof buds, doubt they would last the summer for me. I use Anker Soundcore Curve buds. They are not APTX LL but are APTX so the lag is more than tolerable (non APTX BT AAC lag is unusable IMO). They are sweatproof/water resistant and very reasonably priced at about $25. Don't get the new Anker Soundcore Spirit X's as they are not APT X. I like the full sized BT APT X LL earphones the best (see recommendations in this forum) for audio and comfort but have found none you can wear if caught in a downpour so I use the Ankers in hot or wet weather.

Thanks Hugh, I may have to get a set of those to try out for a while.

Larwar

Jul 23, 2014
New Richmond WI
Detector(s) used
A T Pro. Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is no noticeable lag, I tried them right after I found a target with headphones then went to sound peats I could not tell the difference. But hay if you want to spend more go for it,

Wiganer

Jan 30, 2017
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Whites dual field beast, with Anderson shaft.
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I disagree with the need for low latency, my ear buds are not, and I can guarantee when I here a beep it's under the coil, is not an issue for me or my wife, both of use a 600 with regular Bluetooth ear buds.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need to be careful about broad proclamations on either side of the BT latency spectrum here because APTX LL can have a delay as small as 30ms while regular SBC Standard BT can have a delay as large as 270ms (that's a quarter of a second, folks). I have tried BT headphones that are not APTX or APTX LL and the delay is intolerable when swinging with high recovery speed, to wiggle on the target , pinpoint, or when you have multiple targets under the coil (i.e., when swing speed is fast, when you are rapidly changing swing direction, or when there are targets within close proximity to each other). It drive me nuts. Depending on your swing speed it is like you are picking up two targets separated several inches from each other when there is only one target there.

While I believe you can get away with something that is not APTX LL, I think it is a stretch to say that regular BT does not have excessive latency (at least at the 270 ms end) and it is somewhat of a crap shoot as to whether you will be satisfied with non-APTX LL earbuds since the delay spec is hardly ever published for individual models, only whether they comply with certain general BT specification categories and those categories for the "standard" bluetooth categories can have a wide variation in the allowable delay times. The Bluetooth Latency Delay categories break down as follows:

APTX LL Delay = 30 - 40ms (these work great)

APTX Delay = 60 - 80ms (I have found a set of earbuds here that has tolerable delay)

BT AAC Delay = 90 - 150ms (I would be wary about getting something that might end up on the high side of this spec)

BT SBC Delay = 170 to 270ms (not sure these would be tolerable anywhere in this range).

You can go by word of mouth, anecdotal testemony that non-BT APTX LL work for others and may work for you but who knows how tight the manufacturer keeps the delay when it can vary by 50 to 100 ms from unit to unit. That is why I would look for APTX at least but could see getting away with BT AAC.

BTW - the Soundpeats mentioned earlier are APTX (like the Anker Soundcore Curve and similar Slim+ I mentioned previously), I believe, so they should be OK but only you can tell if they will work for you.

Finally, another alternative to BT earbuds, if you have a set of corded earbuds or headphones you love, is to get an APTX LL receiver or receiver/transmitter module into which you can plug your headphones. They are tiny, cost about as much as a set of earbuds (around $25 - $30) and you can just stuff it in your pocket or in a baggy or whatever to keep them out of the weather and use your wired headphones you love, yet remain untethered to the detector. Just another option.

Those that say their "Regular BT" headphones are working well without excessive lag, it would be helpful if you posted the model number so we can determine what category they fall into to see if we can ascertain the delay spec for the specific model and get a bead on what delay is tolerable rather than rolling the dice. Thanks.

HTH HH

Last edited:
OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Need to be careful about broad proclamations on either side of the BT latency spectrum here because APTX LL can have a delay as small as 30ms while regular SBC Standard BT can have a delay as large as 270ms (that's a quarter of a second, folks). I have tried BT headphones that are not APTX or APTX LL and the delay is intolerable when swinging with high recovery speed, to wiggle on the target , pinpoint, or when you have multiple targets under the coil (i.e., when swing speed is fast, when you are rapidly changing swing direction, or when there are targets within close proximity to each other). It drive me nuts. Depending on your swing speed it is like you are picking up two targets separated several inches from each other when there is only one target there.

While I believe you can get away with something that is not APTX LL, I think it is a stretch to say that regular BT does not have excessive latency (at least at the 270 ms end) and it is somewhat of a crap shoot as to whether you will be satisfied with non-APTX LL earbuds since the delay spec is hardly ever published for individual models, only whether they comply with certain general BT specification categories and those categories for the "standard" bluetooth categories can have a wide variation in the allowable delay times. The Bluetooth Latency Delay categories break down as follows:

APTX LL Delay = 30 - 40ms (these work great)

APTX Delay = 60 - 80ms (I have found a set of earbuds here that has tolerable delay)

BT AAC Delay = 90 - 150ms (I would be wary about getting something that might end up on the high side of this spec)

BT SBC Delay = 170 to 270ms (not sure these would be tolerable anywhere in this range).

You can go by word of mouth, anecdotal testemony that non-BT APTX LL work for others and may work for you but who knows how tight the manufacturer keeps the delay when it can vary by 50 to 100 ms from unit to unit. That is why I would look for APTX at least but could see getting away with BT AAC.

BTW - the Soundpeats mentioned earlier are APTX (like the Anker Soundcore Curve and similar Slim+ I mentioned previously), I believe, so they should be OK but only you can tell if they will work for you.

Finally, another alternative to BT earbuds, if you have a set of corded earbuds or headphones you love, is to get an APTX LL receiver or receiver/transmitter module into which you can plug your headphones. They are tiny, cost about as much as a set of earbuds (around $25 - $30) and you can just stuff it in your pocket or in a baggy or whatever to keep them out of the weather and use your wired headphones you love, yet remain untethered to the detector. Just another option.

Those that say their "Regular BT" headphones are working well without excessive lag, it would be helpful if you posted the model number so we can determine what category they fall into to see if we can ascertain the delay spec for the specific model and get a bead on what delay is tolerable rather than rolling the dice. Thanks.

HTH HH

thanks again Hugh, I will try the Anker...may look at the soundpeats if they are similar

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread