Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
I'll bet there's good detecting there!

lafatlife

May 14, 2008
CT
Used to live in El Paso, you couldn't pay me now to go over the bridge!!!! Heck I wouldn't even go near the bridge now.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I lived in El Paso for a short spell back in the early 1980s. Although I never detected across the border, I did detect around in El Paso (parks, vacant lot in old-town district, etc...). From my experience doing the tourist thing in Juarez, I can only surmise that any place on that side of the border, in a seedy blighted place like that, would be utterly thrashed with junk. It is practically "3rd world" (once you get a few blocks beyond the modern tourist stuff), and very trashy looking, poor, run down, etc... And I would not put much stock in supposed cache and treasure stories you are bound to hear. This is common superstition amongst their culture, that EVERY ruin or cave simply *must* hold a treasure ::)

One mans trash...

Mar 29, 2009
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV
Roaming around the Juarez area (or any other Mexican boarder area) with a metal detector risks a natural perception among interested parties who are not much into hobbies (none that don't involve electrodes, secret compartments, and rapid fire) that the operator is a government agent or contractor scanning for explosive devices and that the appropriate response would be to let him be found impaled on his broken metal detector. After, of course, a long round of implemented interrogation to try to discover what the government is up to since IED's are surely being considered by the cartels, and our hapless hunter is not going to produce any answer satisfactory enough to end the questioning and move on to the killing and beheading part.

OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
Well from the posts its obvious that some people do not know how it is right now over there. i too have not been there in about 2 years. also most the gun stores in ep "major ones" like Academy Wharehouse, stopped carrying assault rifles because of the fact. Also i went 2 two wal marts close to the port of entrys and they were completly out of handgun ammo.........

lafatlife

May 14, 2008
CT
It wasn't so hot there when I was there and that was from 91 to 98. Granted it wasn't as bad as it is now but still it was not very safe.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
All I hear about is just how much gold is buried in Mexico from all mi hermanos in town here when I'm md'ing. Why I hear they can't dig anywhere without popping gold centenarios up. Ha!

Have MD shops all along the border and train the folks walking over how to use them and give everyone a metal detector, a shovel and a year's worth of batteries, should cure all the illegal immigration problems. Double ha!

Philvis

Mar 24, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
My company has an off shore department in Juarez for customer service. We regularly send down trainers and the last time we did so towards the end of last year, we had to recall them because it was getting too dangerous there. A buddy of mine down in the Southwest told me you couldn't pay him to go to Juarez. You have got to ask yourself this...Are the $5 Retinal and Percocet prescriptions from WalMart worth the risk, haha!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread