So how many of ya have a great spot ready for the first real dig of the year...

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, I like to cold call, taking people by suprise, that method works for me; I didn't do my homework this winter as much as I should have. I have a hotrod project rotting in the barn, never made it out there all winter either......how's about you Jim? Still able to keep that monkey off yer back?

D

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have a spot that we have wanted to detect - forever.

It was tied up in some kind of legalities, and then someone fenced it off.

A year later (last week), we found out accidentally who finally ended up with it - and it turned out that it was a grand-daughter of the original owner. We had gone over to see a colt she had wanted me to see (a rescue horse), and we realized the land was attached to "the" spot we wanted to detect. It is a site that has lots of history - an old stage stop, plus the main ranch house for the first ranch in this area (back from indian war days). All the buildings etc. are long gone, but, we really wanted to detect it.

During the conversation, we got to talking about metal detecting, and my friend said that a few people (back several years ago) had detected and left big holes in the field (good for broken cow legs). I just mentioned that if WE detected it, we would never do that. And, she said "do you want to detect it? I almost fell over!!!! So, we have a summer spot that we have been drooling over. They have pulled a couple of things out of years ago. A gold cavalry officer button and a derringer pistol that had been in the old outhouse. (it was old, old).

Can't wait, can't wait, can't wait, can't wait! We are the only ones with permission :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

B

postalgriff

Silver Member
Aug 7, 2008
Southern Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oh yeah....we scouted out some great sites today. actually we saw our first cellar hole out in the woods. still too much snow, but we are saving this one and some other nice ones for our group hunt. I've spent a lot of time using the old plat map drawings, and have printed them out to hand to the owners of the property when we ask for permission. It worked good last year, and more times than not the owners had never seen the drawing before, and they are incredibly accurate. Like this one I included, for example, the people were thrilled to have a copy of this. They said they were just talking about going to the library to look for an old photo or drawing. I found some nice keepers at this house including my first 2cent piece.

Attachments

• 7-27 draper map.jpg
    7-27 draper map.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 175
  • 7-27 draper map.jpg
    7-27 draper map.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 171

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vicksburg Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Jim! I have already been out 6 times in 2010 already! Twice in a creek, once at an old house site, and two times on sledding hills! But yes I am looking forward to soft ground and warm temps!

Jim 2.0

Nov 10, 2007
Pinckney, MI
Detector(s) used
BH, Prizm IV, Tesoro Cortez!
Just found out my son's old high school hockey coach bought a late 1800's house in downtown Pinckney :) Asked about detecting it and he said sure, anytime :).....this will be my first old home hunt !!!! (that is, when the ground thaws) looks to be about 1/2 acre corner lot. Hope some neighbors ask what I'm doing with the "gieger counter" and say: "how about doing my yard?" :laughing7:

Attachments

• DSC00058 [640x480].JPG
    DSC00058 [640x480].JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 150

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
R&A Diemaker said:
Just found out my son's old high school hockey coach bought a late 1800's house in downtown Pinckney :) Asked about detecting it and he said sure, anytime :).....this will be my first old home hunt !!!! (that is, when the ground thaws) looks to be about 1/2 acre corner lot. Hope some neighbors ask what I'm doing with the "gieger counter" and say: "how about doing my yard?" :laughing7:
Give 'em heck buddy! You are more than ready with the looks of that arsenal. Good luck at that spot, hope you get some nice ones! ffd

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions