so i dont get how you guys do this successfully...

d2arcing

Bronze Member
Jun 22, 2009
so i don't get how you guys do this successfully...

so i go to my bank, i have an account with, decent money in it... i want to make a withdrawal of 1125, 125 cash to pay off some people, and then 2 boxes of halves i ask for, they have them on reserve for someone... ok fine i ask them to order me 2 boxes for next week, they say fine... then the teller goes they been sitting their a while, so why not just give me them? fine don't. i ask for 2 boxes of quarters, 2 people go get 1 each, one comes back and asks do you got a business with us? i was like hmm what do i say... no, then why you need? work, but no account with this bank... so they only give me one box...

i tell the teller i didn't know it was this hard to get coins... and then asked if i didn't have an account would i be able to get coins? she said no, not even with a fee... so how do you guys take road trips?

did the box... 2 fake silver coins, you know the round silver plated circles you find in the street thinking they are quarters... i think i will be an ass and bring them back to them...? did find a 1964 quarter :tongue3: so i guess it was worth it

Upvote 0

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: so i don't get how you guys do this successfully...

It's all hit and miss w/road trips. I would not suggest bringing those two slugs back, just chalk it up as part of the game. You made up for those w/that silver quarter. ffd

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other

d2arcing said:
did the box... 2 fake silver coins, you know the round silver plated circles you find in the street thinking they are quarters... i think i will be an ass and bring them back to them...? did find a 1964 quarter :tongue3: so i guess it was worth it

No, you don't want to tick off the bank and return those two "slugs". That is part of the risk with this hobby.

Tellers can either be your worst enemies or your best allies. You'll want them to be the latter.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!

What do you mean? that IS success by our standards. :D YOU found a silver coin.

I think success is something htat happens on some trips, but not on others, and if you average it all out ... we are not that successful for the time we spend. GBut then again, I never find silver when I go golfing, and that COSTS to do, so doing htis and finding something as a bonus is still a better deal in my (rationalizing) eyes.

Good luck to you. YOu'll work it out with some tellers and banks, and ignore others. Maybe even branches of the same bank. But success comes slowly most of the time. You need to keep at it.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro

First problem was your bank. They seemed stingy from the getgo. Seems like they already have one coin roll hunter there and don't want a collection of them. You were lucky to get away with the one box of quarters...probably will not happen again. Also you were lucky to pull the silver quarter. People have searched hundreds of thousands without finding one. That is no fib. It is a numbers game on road trips and you never can tell when a bank will pull the "Do you have an account here?" question. If they ask you can attempt a lie but in my experience it is better to tell the truth. Many teller just want to get rid of the coins so they don't have to count them. If they say no, you leave and move on to the next. It helps to call ahead so they have them ready and they know your name and that you are coming. Plus you know how much money to bring with you. It is luck of the draw and silver is where you find it. No science needed. Good luck.

Golden Silver

OP
OP
D

d2arcing

Bronze Member
Jun 22, 2009

yea i think i should call ahead... but at work (cvs), we call ahead to chase and get a fee for change... if we don't call ahead no fee...

the problem was being refused 2 boxes and only getting 1, i guess i just got to order what i want... and both will be happy

my bank is old fashioned, there is no bullet proof glass, their is just lil cash draws and then the vaults with like 3 door blocks, so they got to go to the back to get coin boxes...

i am happy i found a silver quarter!, but did get 2 slugs, so i lost 50 cents to get it technically

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA

Don't forget the part about NOT dumping your rejects where you got them. HH Mark

OP
OP
D

d2arcing

Bronze Member
Jun 22, 2009

Silver Stripe said:
Don't forget the part about NOT dumping your rejects where you got them. HH Mark

i won't

do you guys order all your coins?

i got a good idea... i am going to sign up at chase, and be like you got a counter? i bought a vending machine route and i will need to deposit lots of coins weekly :tongue3:, but would this make them suspicious and be like are you claiming this money? was just thinking this could go horribly wrong with an audit...

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro

Before you sign up at bank make sure they know your true intensions. Ask them if they will order you coin. Many branches will with no hassle. Don't sign up and find out later that they will not order. Don't make up a story just ask if you can order a few boxes. Some tellers will buy a story but many already know what you are up to believe me.

Golden Silver

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions