JustKeepDigging

May 2, 2013
Jupiter, FL
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
PRL-1 Whites, Tesoro Sand Shark, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found it in the woods about 3 feet deep. Found using my Whites Industrial PRL-1 which goes pretty deep so I use it for going hunting in the woods. I honestly thought it was an old pipe of some sort but I guess not! It's marked "1851" "Mitteh" anyone have any info on that? Had no luck online.

Upvote 3

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm going to reverse my original assessment and vote banner. I'm not much of a sword and relic guy, so my original thoughts that this sword isnt a banner find was probably due to lack of experience. It may be ironic that I am a custom knifemaker by trade, and not very educated in swords. After reading all of the posts, I've gotten a good education. Three feet deep! Perhaps we should have a separate banner just for tenacity!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the cloth it was found in was in fact a "sack" * according to the finder -- (most likely just a rotted old run of the mill burlap feed sack) likely it was thrown away --so no photo..

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice Find... I have dug in Jupiter area and northward along the coast since forever and no a little about area history. I am interesting in seing a photo and your description of the material which was wrapped around the sword. I can offer you some inteersting information regard the era when the sword was used here in Florida, but prefer to do so through private mail. If you wish to gain further knowledge then send me a Private Message.

SD

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have some special information too. PM me and maybe we can get together at the site and talk about it 8-) j/k

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the cloth it was found in was in fact a "sack" * according to the finder -- (most likely just a rotted old run of the mill burlap feed sack) likely it was thrown away --so no photo..

He said:

It was buried in some kind of sack. The sword did feel sticky before I cleaned it, so that may be the oil? The cloth it nasty though. I have it sitting outside currently. Tried my best to find some info on it but it's just a plain old rotted gross sack.

If you look at my finds posts at all, You know I would have pics of that " nasty " sack :laughing7:
This is why I cannot understand why he hasn't yet :tongue3:

We have some Amazing members here. If someone posts pictures of a nasty old Sack here,
it wouldn't surprise me if someone would be able to give some info on it.

Last edited:

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Bone Valley, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That goes without question. .Anything pertinent to the find Alway gets posted. See soil color change when I found the locks, buckle shield and musket hammer.

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excuse me for asking but I'm at work and can't read all the posts , What's the story on the sack ?

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I must point out a typing error in my previous reply. I meant to say the sword has the German-Austrian style of D-shaped guard, but I typed a P instead of a D. Because there is such a thing as a P-shaped guard, the error was an important one -- and I apologize for it. I've now edited that post, changing the P to a D.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just because this sword is from the 1850's doesn't mean it was buried back then. There are many reasons why it may have been buried at a much later date. Inheritance dispute, the sword was stolen, someone's kid was playing pirate and buried it and so on.

I'm giving this guy the benefit of a doubt. As for the demand to see the rotted sack, well that's just silly. No one here is THAT good at identifying old sacks. If it had any sort of markings on it, he would have mentioned that fact. Let it go and congratulate the man for his amazing find.

Jon Phillips

Mar 10, 2009
Riverview Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F-75, MXT, 6000di sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He said:

If you look at my finds posts at all, You know I would have pics of that " nasty " sack :laughing7:
This is why I cannot understand why he hasn't yet :tongue3:

We have some Amazing members here. If someone posts pictures of a nasty old Sack here,
it wouldn't surprise me if someone would be able to give some info on it.

Just a "heads up" folks...Be very careful if you are wanting to see the sack...DO NOT Google-image "nasty sack" with the Safesearch filter off...It will ruin your day!

:laughing7:

CRH

Nov 13, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro, garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Just simply amazing! :thumbsup:

Guest 1551

Aug 4, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Other
Just a "heads up" folks...Be very careful if you are wanting to see the sack...DO NOT Google-image "nasty sack" with the Safesearch filter off...It will ruin your day!

:laughing7:

lololol

mirage83

Dec 20, 2009
NW Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, XLT
Sweet recovery. I've often wondered what could be found in some of my hunting area's with a true deep-searching unit like yours. Now I guess I know.

monita.secreta

Jul 18, 2014
Tarragona
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark / Fisher CZ-21 Quicksilver
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Found it in the woods about 3 feet deep. Found using my Whites Industrial PRL-1 which goes pretty deep so I use it for going hunting in the woods. I honestly thought it was an old pipe of some sort but I guess not! It's marked "1851" "Mitteh" anyone have any info on that? Had no luck online.

east coast? awesome find!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread