So I go to my local, (Buffalo), dive shop to signup for a class ..........

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
So I go to my local, (Buffalo), dive shop to signup for a class ..........in how to wear and use a drysuit and get talked into dive lessons next summer. Sheesh what a sucker ! Anyway, I figured as long as I'm making the swith to water tectin I might as well (Dive) right in, (Pun intended). So now my question is should I stick with my plan to by a Sovereign GT or Get Excal 1000 or excal 2 or two of the three. Whaddaya think ?

dazoff

Aug 7, 2007
Lower Mainland Vancouver,BC
Detector(s) used
To many to say
If your switching to water go with the excal, I'm taking diving this winter but I already have 3 excals and a hookah.
Not sure if this upgraded excal is worth the extra money I've already upgraded the batteries in mine so tend to think there's going to be some good deals out there. Are you going to land hunt as well then keep a machine for land. Dan

Drudge

Nov 19, 2007
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab: eTrac, Excalibur II, Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...but if the Ecalibur II is an underwater version of the GT then you have two top detectors in one (land/water).

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
dazoff said:
the excal is a waterproof Sovereign as far as I understand it. Dan
...Well the Excalibur that is out now and has been since early 1990 does not have all the Features that the Sovereign has. The Sovereign has always had a lot more Features than the Excalibur. Now the new Excalibur 2 that is going to be put on the market might have all the features of the Sovereign. I have had the Sovereign since they first came out and have had the Excalibur also.Every one says the Excalibur and the Sovereign are the same but the only thing that they have in common that no other detector has is the.............................17 separate frequencies...............and as far as i could tell the Excalibur had no iron mask mode.................. and other features that the Sovereign has that the Excalibur does not have ..............I HAD AND HAVE BOTH AND THE SOVEREIGN ....ALWAYS BEATS THE EXCALIBUR.... My self the only detector that is as good as the Sovereign is the...X-TERRA 70.......................==Jim==

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Excal does have true Iron Mask. Sure it can give a normal beep on Iron the first time and be silent the second sweep unless there is a good target near the Iron. What these Excal's and Sov. GT have in common is the BBS circuitry (17 freq.) and iron mask. The Sov is better than the Excal in that it has true all metal mode with GB Tracking or Fixed GB. Listen to threshold or run silent. Being able to change coils when ever you need to.

Excal II will have a faster signal response for better saltwater work, lighter Tornado Coil, better battery system, and will be different in looks because of a Lime green color on the sides and battery.

Some guys may sell the older Excal so they can get the new one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread