Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's not a pretty sight to watch me get back up from a dig. My crippled right foot makes it all harder and I have to assist my left foot into position as I prepare to get up. My Samson shovel has been modified from a ball top to a Tee top but also had another 8" added to it so that I can use it for both getting up and as a walking stick while I walk.

I've been asked if it was really worth it to do all of this and the answer is yes. The lure of the dirt has always been the thrill of the unknown hidden treasure in the dirt. The term treasure can be misleading to some as to me, any form of a relic is treasure. The pocket clad is for snacks or ice cream, maybe a drink.

But my shovel is a must have for me to hunt, if I need to, I can stick it into the ground as I work at getting up. I wear extra thick knee pads that I added good leather to because everything kills my knee caps these days. My back, well it is what it is with a crippled foot.

he VA and my wife are trying to get me a scooter but that might cramp my style in detecting. My day long hunts are shorter now but that is okay and they might eventually get longer with time. I am pretty blind now in my left eye after my second cornea transplant so my depth perception is terrible looking down to the ground.

But it is what it is and that leaves it all up to me to keep pushing myself to do this hobby that I love. I had to switch back to my good ole Deus with the HF coil because the Nox simply wore me out too quickly. But I still will hunt with the Nox, love the tones etc.

My falls have left me weak in my right side and with terrible feeling in my hand so I do more left handed than I want but again, it is what it is. Yeah, this getting old ain't for the faint of heart LOL.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
It's not a pretty sight to watch me get back up from a dig. My crippled right foot makes it all harder and I have to assist my left foot into position as I prepare to get up. My Samson shovel has been modified from a ball top to a Tee top but also had another 8" added to it so that I can use it for both getting up and as a walking stick while I walk.

I've been asked if it was really worth it to do all of this and the answer is yes. The lure of the dirt has always been the thrill of the unknown hidden treasure in the dirt. The term treasure can be misleading to some as to me, any form of a relic is treasure. The pocket clad is for snacks or ice cream, maybe a drink.

But my shovel is a must have for me to hunt, if I need to, I can stick it into the ground as I work at getting up. I wear extra thick knee pads that I added good leather to because everything kills my knee caps these days. My back, well it is what it is with a crippled foot.

he VA and my wife are trying to get me a scooter but that might cramp my style in detecting. My day long hunts are shorter now but that is okay and they might eventually get longer with time. I am pretty blind now in my left eye after my second cornea transplant so my depth perception is terrible looking down to the ground.

But it is what it is and that leaves it all up to me to keep pushing myself to do this hobby that I love. I had to switch back to my good ole Deus with the HF coil because the Nox simply wore me out too quickly. But I still will hunt with the Nox, love the tones etc.

My falls have left me weak in my right side and with terrible feeling in my hand so I do more left handed than I want but again, it is what it is. Yeah, this getting old ain't for the faint of heart LOL.
I'm there with you .. I use my T-Handle shovel as a crutch.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm with you dirtlooter. I also use my Thandle shovel as an aide to getting back to my feet from a kneeling position. For me it's an arthritic power back and two hip replacements. I'm just Thankful that I can still get around. As said, we all need to stay at it as long as we can, it will keep us going, plus still enjoy the great outdoors. God's Speed to you, and all the older treasure hunters here. I include myself here. I just turned 67 last week.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I promise you and Creskol it does NOT get easier as you get older :( Just wait till you guys get old :(

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I promise you and Creskol it does NOT get easier as you get older :( Just wait till you guys get old :(
How old is old? Statistically, I should be pushing up daisies!

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I get down on one knee to dig a target, as long as I can get back up, I will still detect. Loved it for forty years, still do.

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ (Down Under)
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
AlgoForce E1500
I do everything I can to avoid getting down, my back is done these days.
I have developed a way to recover my target, put the final target in the dirt on the coil, lift the detector just below the control box and find the target on the coil, all whilst standing. Down on the ground finding targets these days is not an option. 😕

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
At 66 I still have no trouble getting up from my digs, and I use a short shovel so I’m down on my knees every target. I do lean on the shovel and use it for balance on my uneven terrain. My hunts rarely last longer than a few hours because I need time to do chores and I of course work full time. Being all of 130 pounds doesn’t hurt either.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions