So its either the most expensive mistake Ive made or the best investment, Help!

debbmb

Tenderfoot
Feb 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So its either the most expensive mistake I've made or the best investment, Help!

I found this set of skis and can not find any info on the name google or ebay. Well when I googled it a link came up for a ebay sale in Italy or Germany that ended unsold with a listed price of 13,000 not sure of that is dollars euros or what??? I could not read the listing because it was in a foreign language, and I tried to use translate.

Can anyone tell me the history on these skis? How old they may be? Or lead me to a site to find it. I did go to a site on Wooden Skis that is "Dedicated to the preservation and enjoyment of skiing with wooden skis" I have a feeling (wishful I know) they are much older OR :( they are not worth what I paid. The good thing is my GW has a 5 day return policy. I am going to try to find the time to stop in a local antique shop in the next few days to see if they can give me any info.

Do you have any idea of the value?

Thank you for any help or advice. It is greatly appreciated. ski 3.jpg

Attachments

• Ski Tag.jpg
    Ski Tag.jpg
    456.8 KB · Views: 146
  • Ski 1.jpg
    Ski 1.jpg
    390.1 KB · Views: 120
  • Ski.jpg
    Ski.jpg
    350.1 KB · Views: 120
  • Ski 2.jpg
    Ski 2.jpg
    366.3 KB · Views: 137
  • Ski Stamp.jpg
    Ski Stamp.jpg
    448.1 KB · Views: 116

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't help you on the Skis ,
but if you search for Google Translate,
You should be able to copy & paste
by paragraphs from the site you saw them & get an Idea of what they are saying.

either way, I hope you didn't pay 13,000 without knowing what 13,000 is :tongue3:

If you did. Boy do I got some deals for you :laughing7:

if you paid $40.00 that seems to be about right for a cool item

hjoi.jpg

http://www.ebay.it/itm/Vintage-Scha...Sporthaus-Wiesbaden-Cabin-Lodge-/371186687368

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
by the way You would get $10.99 for 15,000 Italian Lire.
not sure on 13,000.. $9.52 ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was in ski industry 21 years and collected antique skis.those were likely rentals from the shaefers sportshaus.the era of those bindings was roughly 1930s-1950s so WW2 ish era.if there are screwed on metal edges on the bases would narrow it further to early 50s.
It appears they are 140 cm.in length.certainly a childs ski of that time.another indication of rental as children would rapidly out grow their skis.one would raise their arm straight up and bend their wrist.the bend of the wrist was the height of ski you would use.

value....well those arent particularly valuable but are wonderful wall hangers.It wouldnt expect to get more than $40-50 bucks on a good day.perhaps more valuable to a veteran stationed there as it is almost certain they were for servicemen and their families.the locals were primarily a ski culture and would likely have their own.
Ive been out of that world for awhile so take my advice with a grain of salt.

good luck

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
was just looking into it and there is a collectors market out there.some are valuable.check this out

Vintage and Antique Skis by Northland and Lund | Vintage Ski World

these americana but perhaps german of same era also collectable.in my town there on bout every resturant or other buisness wall for decor.Also check with interior designers in your area,may be best resale value

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

debbmb

Tenderfoot
Feb 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
was just looking into it and there is a collectors market out there.some are valuable.check this out

Vintage and Antique Skis by Northland and Lund | Vintage Ski World

these americana but perhaps german of same era also collectable.in my town there on bout every resturant or other buisness wall for decor.Also check with interior designers in your area,may be best resale value

Thanks so much for the advice and taking the time to look into it. I will check out the link you provided. :) I only have a few days to return them, so the help is appreciated.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread