So my bank informed me.....

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After all my boxes last week were brand new, one of the tellers asked the courier about it. Apparently the Guarda warehouse in my area is out of halves and they had to order them directly from the FED. All 6 of my boxes all new yet again. I told them to cut my boxes down to 2 a week until some coins started recirculating.

So I need to rethink my halves strategy.....

who does BOA order from?
Sovereign?

Any help would be appreciated

Upvote 0

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Each bank orders from different companies in different areas. A BOA in NYC might order from Guarda, while a BOA in Newark could order from Brinks. I would also keep ordering as long as they are coming in straight from the Fed. You never know when they might get through that pallet and hit a pallet with all 64s or better yet all pre-63s.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Each bank orders from different companies in different areas. A BOA in NYC might order from Guarda, while a BOA in Newark could order from Brinks. I would also keep ordering as long as they are coming in straight from the Fed. You never know when they might get through that pallet and hit a pallet with all 64s or better yet all pre-63s.

LOL, I think my heart just stopped for a second thinking about one of those boxes showing up at my bank! Wouldn't that be nice. Nice thought there Wilmington. HH, Maverick.

OP
OP
Joe777Cool

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

a box of 64's straight from the Fed? I think we are about 48 years late for that!

OP
OP
Joe777Cool

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1999 and 2000 in all 8 boxes

Half Hunter

Jan 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah man that sucks, I had attack of the 1995 a few weeks ago, it will go away eventually, never heard of that many new ones all at once though.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
1999 and 2000 in all 8 boxes

I'd just keep ordering, I'm no expert, but I would think they have taken some in at some point that have been sitting there for a while just waiting to be ordered, or I could just be totally wrong too, lol. HH, Maverick.

OP
OP
Joe777Cool

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah man that sucks, I had attack of the 1995 a few weeks ago, it will go away eventually, never heard of that many new ones all at once though.

Its such a major letdown! I look forward to those boxes all week - and then see the box and instantly know its crap. Did buy a Franklin today from a teller's loose halves, so all is not lost!

Nellerefinnej

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2013
America's Hometown
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bank with a few local places. I have asked at them for halves and they tell me they cannot get them. How do you get them to order them? They tell me they cant get them. Are they tellin me the truth? How do I get around this issue?

OP
OP
Joe777Cool

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I was thinking that some would have to cycle through.....eventually so thats why I didnt stop my order completely.

OP
OP
Joe777Cool

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bank with a few local places. I have asked at them for halves and they tell me they cannot get them. How do you get them to order them? They tell me they cant get them. Are they tellin me the truth? How do I get around this issue?

I know some banks arent allowed to order them, TD Bank for one. Just keep trying

silas1128

Feb 13, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TD bank can get them, but some of the smaller branches actually can't just because of their size. So sometimes when a teller says they can't get them, they may actually be telling the truth.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
When you said they're all new, I was expecting 2011 or 2012. If you're getting 1999's and 2000's, then yes, it looks like they're pawning off boxes that have been sitting there for years. I'd up my ordering to see if I could get to the point where they're sending you boxes that have been sitting for decades...

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a box of 64's straight from the Fed? I think we are about 48 years late for that!

Not when you consider that the Fed only ships out when a coin rolling company is low on coin. Then consider that halves are the most uncirculated coins in the US (behind the IKE). Then consider all the years that the Fed did not stock pile NIFC halves. There are bound to still be a few pallets of 90% silver halves sitting at the Fed.

Last edited:

mjm579

Jan 6, 2013
Montgomery County, PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure if you are up for it or not, but check out the going rate for a roll or unopened box on eBay. I recently sold a $25 box of unopened 2013-p cents (pennies) for $75 plus Shipping and Handling. I was upset the first time around bc I opened the box before realizing that they sell on eBay. So I have been listing a roll or two from the first opened box. Then when I went to the bank today for 4 boxes, one was uncirculated. Listed it, and it sold in less than 3 hours! Maybe I shouldn't let out ALL of my secrets, but it might help to drive down eBay price gauging.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Not sure if you are up for it or not, but check out the going rate for a roll or unopened box on eBay. I recently sold a $25 box of unopened 2013-p cents (pennies) for $75 plus Shipping and Handling. I was upset the first time around bc I opened the box before realizing that they sell on eBay. So I have been listing a roll or two from the first opened box. Then when I went to the bank today for 4 boxes, one was uncirculated. Listed it, and it sold in less than 3 hours! Maybe I shouldn't let out ALL of my secrets, but it might help to drive down eBay price gauging.

The older halves don't have much of a premium in terms of boxes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread