So... Please tell me Why does a metal detector cost $2499 again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I choose NOT to buy a $125 pinpointer that isn't even waterproof.

I choose NOT to buy a detector for 2k that will sell for $949.00 a few months later.

I choose NOT to buy a $50 digger when I can buy one just as good (if not better) for $8 at Walmart.

Those are all your choices, just like it is our choice to spend our money any way we choose, especially since we are who worked to earn it...

Posted From My $50 Tablet....

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We all make choices.

You get maybe 80 years here. 70 you can do much with. Might as well have something nice if you can afford it and it appeals to you.

I don't begrudge anyone that wants to spend their hard-earned money on something they will enjoy. I guarantee you'd be hard pressed to spend as much on detectors as a new 34 foot sailboat, annual maintenance, insurance and marina fees. ;-) You could buy 50 or 100 of those $2,500 detectors that first year depending on the boat.

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I choose NOT to buy a $50 digger when I can buy one just as good (if not better) for $8 at Walmart.

....ah....NO. I have bought and tried everything Walley-Mart has and you are wrong there. Besides....34.00 not 50.00 gets a good one.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well now is your chance to get, I assume, the Deus. It's on sale everywhere for 949.00

I choose NOT to buy a detector for $949.00 that will be $600 in a few months. And if I'm going to spend $600 on any detector, it will have to be made in the good old USA.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My absolute favorite was $29 and has proven indestructable.

HPIM0173.JPG
HPIM0177.JPG

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Charlie, That is more that three times more expensive than Walley-Mart. LOL

Looks like a good coin digger though.

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So what detector is it you have your sights on that is in the 600.00 price range that is ACTUALLY made here, that is going to hold MORE than 75% of it's resale value? And get anywhere CLOSE to the depth of a CTX or a Deus or an Etrac or a Nokta or......

(Patiently holding my breath for this one)

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Coin shooter's dream. Three pushes, flip the turf "flap" and one more push and lift out the plug and you have a 2" x 2" hole 7" deep that goes right back with no visible dirt or disturbance. Park maintenance supervisors love it - and therefore I do.

It's also great for cleaning leaves and crud out of the roof gutters at home. ;-)

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
..ah....NO. I have bought and tried everything Walley-Mart has and you are wrong there. Besides....34.00 not 50.00 gets a good one.

Bought a Fiskars planting tool for $8 at Walmart and it lasted over a year. I finally broke it trying to pry up some frozen ground. Works great and looks like one mean weapon from a distance!

fiskars.JPG

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So what detector is it you have your sights on that is in the 600.00 price range that is ACTUALLY made here, that is going to hold MORE than 75% of it's resale value? And get anywhere CLOSE to the depth of a CTX or a Deus or an Etrac or a Nokta or

Garrett AT Pro.

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I saw a vid on youtube with one just like it or similar. Would be good to keep in the truck for yards. But relic hunting around where I'm at can be a nightmare with all cleache clay.

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have an AT Pro and it wont do it. I've used them side by side.
it has it's place, and I take it out also when I go; but it does not hit as deep.

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
And made here doesn't always make it better. I had to send mine back first week. One of my hunting partners had to send it back. Maybe someone should ask what's inside those. Not me. I like it and will continue using it. But not as my main relic hunter.
I love it as a coin shooter...hard to beat.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Made in USA when it comes to electronics doesn't mean much, the majority of the electronic components used are made in Asia.

Posted From My $50 Tablet....

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That digger might be long enough for what you dig...but not me.

Fiskars makes great limb loppers though.

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I understand you are superior to me every way.

But you can dig as deep as you like. Two more pushes and you have two flaps, and then you can get the handle in and go as deep as your arm is long and still close the hole with two flaps that look like you found it when you are done. I carry a round 14" rubber circle cut from an innertube and put the dirt on that and then tip it back in. Or lean my sore knee on it in places where dried dirt on the surface making it look like you killed the grass won't matter. I don't stand up as well after a squat as I use to.

95% of my coins are less than 7" deep. Your soil and conditions may vary. In the woods or foundations I use a Lesche M85 or my Lesche M88 Hercules relic shovel.

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bought a Fiskars planting tool for $8 at Walmart and it lasted over a year. I finally broke it trying to pry up some frozen ground. Works great and looks like one mean weapon from a distance!

View attachment 1105818

I have the digger on the top of the pic. I got it from an old guy who also sold me his Garrett Propointer. It works great and does look mean. I would like to get a Raptor 31c. May be some of what this years clad will go for.
31C.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread