so predictable...Stupid questions you get!

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
I just follow my nose!...where the silver and gold goes!
Minelab 5000, Goldmaster, and a few others
XRF spectrometer, Common sense.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am sure we have all had this happen. You are either getting boxes or taking back buckets or bags of coins and someone eyes you...they walk up to get closer, and then the stupidest most predictable crap comes out of there mouths.

The obvious comments of "gee that a lot of coins ya have there"....well duh.

or the "where did you get all those?"
or "How long did it take you to get all those" I love responding with, a couple days

Its so annoying because you can see them coming, you can see it in there body language, and of course, you can almost second guess whats going to come out of there mouth.

The worst are the rednecks that just dont understand. they want too, but they just dont get it.
One a while back would not leave me alone. he had to know "what was going on" I was like dont worry about it.
fortunately I was just finishing up and as the tally number on the screen was hitting some figure in the $3000 dollar mark he made the most odd comment while waking away pissed off. He said. "I hope you enjoy your money"
I will I thought to myself.

Upvote 0

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave.......DAVE!....Take a deep breath. Now........................relax. Geeeeeeez son, just say you're a collector and you search through a lot of coins and you can usually leave it at that. If I hadn't been introduced to CRH I would probably be a little curious myself. Even now, if someone were to come into the bank while I was there and they were bringing back a lot of coin, I might talk to them myself to see if they might be turning in silver that I would be interested in buying from them. Be a little nicer Dave, c'mon, you can do it. :angel4:

Cat J

Dec 17, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Whites Sufe Master PI Pro
I was just thinking of posting.... Where is Dave haven't heard from him in forever. LOL

Glad to see your still with us.

I get those questions all the time. When they say where did you get all that coin. I say the bank gave them to me they have lots of coins.

Last weekend I paid for my gas with $80 in halves. The guy looked at it and said... is that your savings. I said no I had to take out a loan to pay for my gas. Then I laughed.

Most peopel are just dumbfounded when you walk in with all that coin. They can not believe it.

HH
Cat

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
packerbacker said:
Dave.......DAVE!....Take a deep breath. Now........................relax. Geeeeeeez son, just say you're a collector and you search through a lot of coins and you can usually leave it at that. If I hadn't been introduced to CRH I would probably be a little curious myself. Even now, if someone were to come into the bank while I was there and they were bringing back a lot of coin, I might talk to them myself to see if they might be turning in silver that I would be interested in buying from them. Be a little nicer Dave, c'mon, you can do it. :angel4:

LOL.........good one PB!

It doesn't annoy me a bit. It is only natural some folks will be curious. How often does the regular banking business person see someone cashing in thousands of dollars worth of halves.

I've experienced this curiosity by folks many times. I usually say exactly what PB said.....I collect them.

Once this guy asked me how long it took to accumulate that many halves....I looked at the clock and replied.....about an hour......lol. His expression was priceless................... :D

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Dave Dave Dave

Yes it happens all the time. Doesn't really bother me all that much. I just lie. Enhances the mystry

You may know that I'm trying to spend my halves every chance I get. So the "stupid questions" keep coming. I just tell them from my kids piggy bank.

The guy at Speedway gave me a disgusted look yesterday and said something about the deposit. I said lay them on the counter and the next guy will buy them. Funny thing is a year ago this same guy loved it when I used to buy gas with Halves. We even talked about how many come in and the cool coins he gets while working the cash dwar. He' probably can't afford to hoard any more of my junk though.

Anyway long time no hear from Dave.... Relax.

LOL. Mojo

snappy

Jan 23, 2007
sidney montana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
When they ask me how long have you been saving coins. I normally say over 30 years.... which is true... however I don't tell them this is a reject dump and the good coins are in a safe spot.

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
JD!
Wondered where you were-
Now we know- you've been dumping the last $2 mil in halves you had stashed in the closet! ;D

I always see an opportunity when the curious come looking and ask them if they have any old coins they want to sell me.
Most of them do.

OP
OP
jewelerdave

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
I just follow my nose!...where the silver and gold goes!
Minelab 5000, Goldmaster, and a few others
XRF spectrometer, Common sense.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
LOL,
Yeah I know I have not posted in a while,
For me, its the middle of wedding season, I have more rings to make on my plate as well as the coins I have to make than lets me spend CRHing. So I have been here the whole time, Just all my time has been spend making rings, refining gold, and making coins and dealing with other things.

I have been poking in a little here and there. And I will be back in force when things calm down again. But in the mean time. Yikes. Gotta follow the money.

Good luck all!

Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread