So quarter are supposed to be bad right?

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well when was exchanging my halves and picking up some dimes the teller said I should try quarters. I explained how I thought they were supposed to be terrible. She insisted she saw more silver quarters than anything. And this was after a conversation about how she got 6 Morgan's once and sold them for 1k. So I think she may know her stuff. Maybe it's worth a shot?

Upvote 0

Mrs.CRH

Jul 15, 2012
Orlando, FL
Detector(s) used
My hands, ears, & eyes =D
Primary Interest:
Other
Either that or she wants you to stay away from the halves & dimes by diverting your attention to quarters.....

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
^^^^I was thinking the same thing^^^^^, maverick.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Though I am going to try a box this week that a branvh is going to hold for me from a vendor that brings in boxes every week, just to see what if anything happens. I have seached 4 boxes total ever and never found any though. Maverick.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
She sounds like a huge bull shiater.

1 k for a few Morgan's? Sounds the same kinda person who thinks Ike's are worth big money.

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well when was exchanging my halves and picking up some dimes the teller said I should try quarters. I explained how I thought they were supposed to be terrible. She insisted she saw more silver quarters than anything. And this was after a conversation about how she got 6 Morgan's once and sold them for 1k. So I think she may know her stuff. Maybe it's worth a shot?

she might be trying to throw you off track!!!

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Its quite possible that she sees more silver quarters simply by virtue of quarters being:

1) Large
2) Frequently used
3) Easy to edge search

And the Morgans could have easily been worth 1K if they were key dates. If they were 1921s naturally they wouldn't be worth much, but a couple of Carson Cities (especially with the right VAM and sold to the right collector) could fetch $1K+

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
CoinFetcher said:
She sounds like a huge bull shiater.

1 k for a few Morgan's? Sounds the same kinda person who thinks Ike's are worth big money.

I mean if she had 4 CC's in MS I guess it's possible.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I mean if she had 4 CC's in MS I guess it's possible.

The more obviouse answer is that she is a liar.

Rare things are rare. Thousand Dollar Morgans are one in 100,000,000

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1889cc morgan dollar has a 350,000 mintage and is worth $3500 in EF40, based off of my redbook of course so prices might vary considering my redbook is from 2010.

Mr. Silver Stash

Mar 3, 2012
The Constitution State
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker
Primary Interest:
Other
I have done 15 - 20 boxes of quarters and found 3 silvers + 1 silver canadian. I have found 4 silver quarters sitting in a teller tray at the bottom all shiny, im like what are those? And got em for $1. As many have said before, quarters are easy to notice with that shiny silver edge in a teller tray. I am sure all tellers know to grab those, and they hardly make it back to rolls/boxes. Also, John Q Public will spot that old quarter & snipe it in pocket changes easily.

I have had much better luck in bags of quarters from machines that typically do not reject silver, finding also 4 or 5 in my best bag. By the time those bags get mixed together with everything else at the coin carrier, we get that 1 silver per 5-10 box average.

That being said quarters are easiest to obtain & dump.

As far as dimes go, I have had tellers tell me "Are you looking for silver? You aren't going to find silver here" asking for halves, and then I'm having her fork over all those shiny dimes (silvers). People don't look/know about the dimes.

OP
OP
Easy

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
She said it was 6-7 Morgan's I can't remember now

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
Yeah my uncle didn't know about silver until he got it in change, threw it into his coin tray in his car and heard it. He kept it, not because of it's silver content/value, but because he thought it was cool.

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with Mrs. CRH. The teller wants you to hit quarters, so she has more oppurtunities for halves.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
The more obviouse answer is that she is a liar.

Rare things are rare. Thousand Dollar Morgans are one in 100,000,000

Ockham's Razor (or for us commoners - Occam's Razor). The likelihood is that she is indeed a liar. Even if she had culled key dates or CC's, 99% of tellers don't know crap when it comes to coins no less numismatic values. How many times when asking for large dollars that they go and fetch small dollars? If they can't tell the difference in size, most likely they can't tell the difference between a mint state 1921 and a slick 1893-S.

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heres what you do: Take in all of your silver quarters found to date and plop them on her desk and say "Wow! You were right!" Maybe she will be the one diverted to the pipe dream of quarters.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread