So what would you do?

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sold this item: 1916 1945 Mercury Dime Partial Set 71 Coins in New Dansco 7123 Album | eBay

3 days after delivery I receive this email:

"Hi ,
There are only 68 coins in this Album i was suppose to get 71. can you please update me what went wrong?
Thanks
Ansar"

My reply: "Sorry to hear this. From the photos I am counting 71 coins in the album. I have no idea where they could be, I put them into the album and there was a layer of plastic on each side of the coin to protect it. Could you please tell me which coins are missing?
Happy New Year! Joe"

Next email: "I dont know eactly what are missing i can send the pictures of the album what i have received. Please let me know if you want me to send the pictures here not sure how to attach them here."

My Response: "Each dime has the year and mint mark printed right below it. Per the original listing "This set includes all coins except the 1916d, 1919s, 1921, 1921d, 1926s, and 1931d" so those slots will be empty. Feel free to send me the photos, there is an "attach photo's" button right next to the "send message" button."

Next Email: "I have checked all the coins year wise one coin was under another coin 1934 was under 1936-D, So the missing two are 1923-S and 1945. Can you please check if you miss to include these two coins 1923-S and 1945."

My Response: "OK. I will look to see if I have those 2 coins or if I can find replacements. I will contact you in the next few days."

Reply: "Ok Thanks Joe. Waiting for your reply."

My Next Email: "I was unable to locate those 2 coins. Looking through my inventory I do have a different 1945 I could send you, but no 1923s. I could send you a 2nd dime of a different date? Let me know how would you like me to proceed."

Reply: "Thanks for your cooperation and timely response...
Lets do this if it works with you... I will get one 1945 you have and
the second may be any one out of these six 1916d, 1919s, 1921, 1921d, 1926s, and 1931d. Please let me know ..."

My Next Email: "The 1916d, even in low grade is a $700 coin, the 1921 is $50, and the 1921D is $60, so those are out of the question. As for the other coins, I checked my inventory and I do NOT own a 1919s, 1926s, or 1931d. So here is what I can do: I can give you a $6 refund (coins average $2.81 each), OR I can send you a 1945 mercury dime and another mercury dime of a different year.
Let me know"

Last email: "This is causing little inconvenience to me to i have decided to return and get the refund. Please let me know .."

My last response: "If that is how you would like to proceed that is fine. Please note, however, that according to my listings, while I do accept returns I will NOT pay for return shipping and I will Not be refunding the original shipping charge so you will still be responsible for paying for shipping BOTH ways.
I personally put all those coins into that album myself. How the 3 coins went missing, only for it to become 2 coins I have no idea. I have offered you multiple solutions to make this right, but I cannot give you coins that I dont have and I will not give you coins that were not part of the original agreement. Againg I am willing to refund you $6 for the 2 coins you say are missing, or I ll send you 3 additional Mercury Dimes if that works for you, a 1945 and 2 other coins of my choosing.
Also please note that the coins and album must be in the same condition as they were in the listing photos. If you still want a refund, it will not be issued until after I receive the coins."

I know all the coins were in that album when I sent it. I personally put them all into a Dansco album where there is a plastic insert protecting both sides, so immediately I am skeptical that 3 of the coins are missing. Then the guy cant figure out which coins are missing. Then it goes from 3 coins are missing to only 2. Then he want's me to replace the "missing" 1923s with a 1916d, 21, 21d, 26s etc....clearly he knows nothing about Mercury dimes OR he thinks I'm an idiot and doesnt know any better. I am really trying to avoid a refund for obvious reasons, so I guess it's time to call eBay? Problem is - will I get an agent that is any brighter than this customer???

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say he's trying to scam you. But you already know this. So I have had this happen before as well. I sold a roll of quarters to a guy and he told me there was 38 not 40 and wanted me to send two more.

So like an idiot I did. I sent him two more for free but I wrote his name down and kept it in my note pad. I had a lot of silver coins to sell at the time. So a couple days later he buys another roll and I mail it to him and he emailed me and said Sir I'm confused there's only 37 coins in here not 40 can you please send me three more.

So I asked, last time we were missing two quarters. Now you're missing three. They are all counted out and there is 40 quarters per roll. I have doublecheck this and every roll is the same exact height and pretty close the same weight. Can you please tell me the dates and mint marks of all your coins so that I can compare to the List of coins I sent you. I wrote them all down, I am very OCD and I will replace the ones your missing...

Must've been too much work because I never heard from him. And then I blocked him.

If he didn't send you a picture of the ones missing and didn't know I mean I'm sure is the sign that man is full of crap. Sorry you're going through that what a pain!

OP
OP
Joe777Cool

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just pay the return shipping. eBay will not side with you if item is considered " not as described " Regardless of what happened I think this is your best option. e-mail the person and tell them to mail them back and provide a tracking number and you will issue a full refund plus return shipping when you receive them. You can also call ebay and tell them that is what you are planning on doing (also ask them just to make them feel important) so that will also be on record along with any e-mails.

Yeah I just called eBay just to have it on the record that I called. Buyer hasn't opened a case yet so they can't do anything. Rep acknowledged the inconsistencies in the buyers story and said that they would side with me should the buyer open a case......but we all know how that works! Just depends on who you get on the phone!!!

meanpc

Jun 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your selling history on eBay is good, I wouldn't refund at all. After all, he's sending you back less than you sent him. I would take this approach - tell him you are going to contact the shipper since their tampering is the only way any coins are missing. They will of course want to examine the package, blah blah blah. Usually a strong pushback on a scammer will make them go away, like beachkid said. You've got some pretty damning evidence where the guy is specifically trying to get you to send ridiculously valuable replacement coins.

What's his feedback look like?

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say someone is trying to take advantage of you. But hey if you are going to hand out 1916d mercs how do I get one :laughing7:. Sorry to hear about your troubles better luck in the future.

OP
OP
Joe777Cool

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your selling history on eBay is good, I wouldn't refund at all. After all, he's sending you back less than you sent him. I would take this approach - tell him you are going to contact the shipper since their tampering is the only way any coins are missing. They will of course want to examine the package, blah blah blah. Usually a strong pushback on a scammer will make them go away, like beachkid said. You've got some pretty damning evidence where the guy is specifically trying to get you to send ridiculously valuable replacement coins.

What's his feedback look like?

Only has 29, member since 2004, nothing noteworthy in the comments.

meanpc

Jun 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeh, sometimes you gotta play a little game of chicken with these scammers. They almost always swerve first - they aren't looking for a gunfight, they just want some free $$.

I do TRY to assume good intent and honesty, but in a case like this it's pretty clear cut.

OP
OP
Joe777Cool

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got another email today he really just wants the 2 coins replaced. I went through 800 mercury dimes in my safe deposit box before I found a 1919s. UGH! I'll just sent the 1919s and 1945 to him and hopefully be done with it. $3 for the coins $2 postage, will be the best $5 I ever spent!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread