So, you deleted your cookies . . . Thats ok, we just rewrite them

S

Smee

So, you deleted your cookies . . . That's ok, we just rewrite them

So, you cleaned out your browser cache . . . you deleted all your temp files, your cookies, and you've run your antispyware ap to make sure there are no tracking cookies on your computer. Good for you.

Unfortunately, some of those cookies will magically reappear when you restart your computer's browser.

Scorecardresearch.com and fullcirclestudies.com have decided it isn't fair that you should be able to remove their cookies. They use a flash feature to store the items on your computer. So what? So, when you restart your browser, if it doesn't find their cookies . . . it just rewrites them from its own cache.

Now, until these bums pay for my computer, pay for my internet access, pay me to visit a site, they don't own my damned computer!!!

Here's a link to a lawsuit and a bit of information on how they are using Adobe's LSO (Locally Stored Objects) to "fingerprint" your browser without your permission. You know how sometimes you will get a popup saying that Adobe needs to store information on your computer? It may as for ask much as 1 megabyte of storage space. That space is needed to spy on you.

"Oh now, everyone uses cookies!" That may be so, but they are nothing like these! They "fingerprint" your browser and can track every place you ever visit even without accessing the cookies on your computer. Those cookies are just to tell them who the heck you are when you access their content/video player/game/etc.

Of course, I know you bought your computer, paid for internet access, bought an antivirus, etc. just so someone else could use the computer to invade your privacy. We all want folks peeping in through our "windows" to see what we do when we think we are alone.

Doesn't that make you feel happy? :help:

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin
Re: So, you deleted your cookies . . . That's ok, we just rewrite them

Smee said:
So, you cleaned out your browser cache . . . you deleted all your temp files, your cookies, and you've run your antispyware ap to make sure there are no tracking cookies on your computer. Good for you.

Unfortunately, some of those cookies will magically reappear when you restart your computer's browser.

Scorecardresearch.com and fullcirclestudies.com have decided it isn't fair that you should be able to remove their cookies. They use a flash feature to store the items on your computer. So what? So, when you restart your browser, if it doesn't find their cookies . . . it just rewrites them from its own cache.

Now, until these bums pay for my computer, pay for my internet access, pay me to visit a site, they don't own my damned computer!!!

Here's a link to a lawsuit and a bit of information on how they are using Adobe's LSO (Locally Stored Objects) to "fingerprint" your browser without your permission. You know how sometimes you will get a popup saying that Adobe needs to store information on your computer? It may as for ask much as 1 megabyte of storage space. That space is needed to spy on you.

"Oh now, everyone uses cookies!" That may be so, but they are nothing like these! They "fingerprint" your browser and can track every place you ever visit even without accessing the cookies on your computer. Those cookies are just to tell them who the heck you are when you access their content/video player/game/etc.

Of course, I know you bought your computer, paid for internet access, bought an antivirus, etc. just so someone else could use the computer to invade your privacy. We all want folks peeping in through our "windows" to see what we do when we think we are alone.

Doesn't that make you feel happy? :help:

Seems like many companies are jumping on that "allow" for storage of their crap on peoples computers. Liveleak/zynga are two of the worst with news agencies (local/national) almost as bad, click on one website for a legit reason and their ads follow you around to every website you go to on the net like an obsessed ex-girlfriend. (no need to click anything for that last feature, it just "is")

Wish somebody would build an app to start charging rent. :wink:

F

Felinepeachy

Is there a way to remove them? :dontknow:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Felinepeachy said:

Yes, melt your computer down to scrap and never go on another computer gain :icon_thumleft:

Pretty interesting to see how spyware can rewrite itself... Makes you wonder what else it can do if not put in check :icon_scratch:

F

Felinepeachy

spartacus53 said:
Felinepeachy said:

Yes, melt your computer down to scrap and never go on another computer gain :icon_thumleft:

Pretty interesting to see how spyware can rewrite itself... Makes you wonder what else it can do if not put in check :icon_scratch:

phil_04.gif

OP
OP
S

Smee

Actually, the technology was originally developed to "fingerprint" your computer to protect you when conducting online banking.

As with anything good, someone always finds a way to turn it around.

Since that technology was created by the Federal Government (according to sources) to secure bank transactions, you could say our government has sold us out. If created by the U.S. government, shouldn't we get angry as that is a true invasion of privacy on their part to allow this technology into the public sphere?
Felinepeachy said:
The simple answer is "yes" if you use the firefox browser, "HECK NO" if you use the Internet Exploder browser, and "we don't know what you're talking about" with Safari and Opera.

For Firefox users, this plugin "Better Privacy" is supposed to help: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6623/

Personally, I use "Noscript" (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/722/) and block scorecardresearch.com and fullcirclestudies.com as well as any sites I'm unable to get information about.

Warning: Google uses scorecardresearch from time to time as do the other search engines. Almost like fingerprinting your search activity.

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon

You should can also go to "Tools" in Firefox and click "Start Private Browsing". This mode doesn't store cookies, history, etc.

Whether it also works on the above spyware, I don't know.

OP
OP
S

Smee

Here's another thing that helps to an extent (but with certain sites, they won't allow access to content).

On the flash object (movie player, advertisement, etc.) just right click, choose settings and then you can choose NOT to let them store data on your computer . . . NFL.com (for instance) will not allow some videos to play if you do though.

OP
OP
S

Smee

A great "for instance" would be that little peel down link at the top right of this page. It will show you the little box I mentioned.

Right click, and you will see a dialogue box popup. Unfortunately, the company who provided this link has made it so that you can't adjust the amount of storage you will allow.

I didn't find anything wrong with the object, nothing malicious, I just can't figure out why it needs to have storage on my computer :dontknow:.

How could I have any idea about this stuff? I am a web site designer . . . I do my own flash animations as well as some designs for other websites . . . and I've NEVER needed to store data for my flash objects on a visitor's computer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread