So your considering the hobby of metal detecting?

Bucketfreak317

Feb 3, 2014
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 305 Whites BH
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I first want to say my words are not the end all of end all's in anything I don't know it all either this post is intended only to give some helpful hints to the new guy who is interested in getting into this exciting hobby,what metal detector you by and how much you spend on it does not equate to you finding more of anything not silver coins or gold rings so do yourself a favor and put the billfold checkbook,and credit card away and consider something more important.
Ask yourself first where do you live,location will be the deciding factor in a lot of things from what type of detector you'll need and right down to what your likely to find in your area,it is my own opinion that the smartest thing to look into is the soil conditions in your area,are there a lot of minerals in the soil iron etc?
I also prospect for gold and the gold in my area is very fine I was aggravated with dealing with the black sand here so I started drying my concentrates out and use a magnet to get as much of the iron out as I can to make it easier to pan out,so if your not sure of your soil conditions in your area you might try drying out some of the soil and run a magnet over it to check this will tell you if you need a detector that works well in iron saturated soil because I learned 3 years ago not all metal detectors work well in such soils conditions.
Look into the history of your town or city is it well established (in other words has it been around for a long time)the same thing should be considered with public parks,also think have there been gatherings like for the fourth of July these are good hints that your going to at least find modern coins and maybe even jewelry.
The history of commerce manufacturing and the economy in general in your area will have an effect on what you might find while detecting if you live in a place that is pee pot poor don't expect to find much in the way of coins or jewelry.
Now once you've considered this keep in mind that there's no price competitive sales going on,no one can say I'm going to give you a better deal than the other guy,that's empirically impossible in a market that has fixed prices so don't be fooled so the smart thing in my opinion is if you've decided on a certain detector look at 2 others made by different manufacturers in the same price and ability range and then start looking for all the reviews you can even the lower entry range metal detectors aren't cheap price wise.
Most manufacturers also have the instruction manuals for their detectors posted on their web sites in PDF format so it would be a good idea to download the manual and look it over, once you've ordered your detector learn every aspect of the manual forward and backwards that way once yours comes you'll be ahead of the game.
Be forewarned also there's more white lies and BS hype being sold to people by the companies who sell these detectors than you can shake a coil at be patient pay attention to every audio tone of every target you hit along with the TID or VID displays this will help you to recognize a good target from a bad one I'm still carrying a note book with me to keep tabs on my settings and the audio tones and TID's of the targets I hit.
Just keep in mind no matter what you've seen on youtube or on national geographic this is one fact that I believe everyone who has been into metal detecting for a while will agree with if nothing else I've posted here it doesn't matter what metal detector you have your going to dig a lot of trash quite a bit more than treasure but on the other hand if you pay attention to the the signals of a good target you will eventually learn what to dig and what not to dig.
My thoughts is you do not have to spend $1300+ to have fun and find some good stuff that is not a guarantee you'll be coming home with hands full of silver half and whole dollars and gold rings by the bucket full.
Sorry for such a long post I hope these ideas are a help to someone like I said I don't know everything about metal detecting these ideas were things I put into practice though in the mean time I got the detector I have now as a birthday gift and I'm happy with it for the most part though what I have may not work for everyone else anyway GL&HH.

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
May I buy a paragraph break Pat? :laughing7:

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
Now once you've considered this keep in mind that there's no price competitive sales going on,no one can say I'm going to give you a better deal than the other guy,that's empirically impossible in a market that has fixed prices so don't be fooled so the smart thing in my opinion is if you've decided on a certain detector look at 2 others made by different manufacturers in the same price and ability range and then start looking for all the reviews you can even the lower entry range metal detectors aren't cheap price wise.

This is not true at all. At least some manufacturers require dealers not to advertise below a certain price, while allowing them to actually charge less - but you've got to ask for that. Not all of the dealers charge the same unadvertised prices either.

A new buyer should definitely call around. Depending on the machine being purchased, it can literally mean saving hundreds of dollars.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is not true at all. At least some manufacturers require dealers not to advertise below a certain price, while allowing them to actually charge less - but you've got to ask for that. Not all of the dealers charge the same unadvertised prices either. A new buyer should definitely call around. Depending on the machine being purchased, it can literally mean saving hundreds of dollars.

Oh how true Dave. If anyone believes there is a fixed price they have never spoken to our supporting vendors on here or my local White's dealer. Maybe we should just keep that our secret. ;)

OP
OP
Bucketfreak317

Bucketfreak317

Feb 3, 2014
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hmm? Whites

Funny you mentioned Whites I ended up with the X-Terra 305 my mother called me and said see wanted to get me a metal detector for my birthday and the fixed price deal is what I found on the X-Terra 705 I could not find anything under MSRP other than open box or used,but I've still got my Sears/whites 6000DI if I'm not mistaken its actually the coinmaster 6000DI,and believe it or not that thing still works I'd say that's pretty good considering I bought it brand new around 1982 or 1983 I still don't know how I was able to swing it as short as I was at the time.
Knowing what I know now I may have to take a trip to Terra Haute Indiana to the Whites dealership there.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was a good attempt at helping newbies find the answer to a hard question - what detector? There are so many variables.
If we put to gather a list of info it would probably be a 3" book by the time we're done and then new detectors come out!
A for effort on your part!

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I Always say do your research and go with your gut. If you do anything else you will always wonder but then again you will always wonder if some guy on Tnet says his detector is better than others. It's more about learning the detector you buy than worrying about what you later thought you should have bought.

I hated my ATP the 1st 3 months i had it but I learned to listen to it and I would put myself up against anyone with an ATP now. Yes even the diggers. I dug over $500 in 3 months with it averaging about 3 hours per hunt and 4 -5 days per week.

I have since bought a Whites V3i and I only have about 80 hours or so on it and I am struggling with it as well. I am learning but there is so many variables with the V3i that I have barely scratched the surface.

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dig trash? What? I thought I bought a detector that has a notchalating discriminationator on it!

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
My first MD was when I was 8 (and it was old then).

A good detectorist and intelligent site selector could take that ancient machine and destroy an idiot with a Minelab who is clueless about site selection and wanders around the same childrens parks and beaches all day.

OP
OP
Bucketfreak317

Bucketfreak317

Feb 3, 2014
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey I've still got my old whites I got it at the same age or maybe a year older that thing hit a watch for me that had a solid gold case and I still have the Whites to this day and it still works even if it is a battery hog I would have to say it would keep up with some of the mid range modern detectors at least.
My Minelab is a beginners level detector and I don't believe its much good for a depth of more than 4 inches at best in compacted soil.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's adjusted correctly, I bet it will go a lot deeper than that.....unless it's defective.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread