Upgrading to E Trac

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will be getting my new E Trac in the mail tomorrow thanks to Bart at Big Boys Hobbies. I am upgrading from an AT Pro and have done a lot of reading and watched many You Tube videos about the E Trac. I am wondering if anyone can give me some beginners advice on what to expect?

Don't get discouraged, I made the same upgrade last year, and the first few hunts were rough. Things will click after you get to know her, and she will give it all to you. Just take it slow.

Sheppie22

Jun 9, 2011
Milford, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac,
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett AT Max
Minelab Equinox 800 and 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I own both and they compliment each other. Etrac for deep coins and the AT Pro with the 5x8 coil for junky iron areas. I know a lot of Etrac users will say hunt in TTF with the Etrac, I just think that the AT Pro has faster recovery speed for those junky areas. Can't beat the 5x8 coil. IMO

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the new purchase.

I remember when I "upgraded" to an E-Trac!

Find rate and ratio didn't improve. Certainly wasn't any deeper than what I was swinging at the time. It made for a good trade though and was glad to be rid of it.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the new purchase.

I remember when I "upgraded" to an E-Trac!

Find rate and ratio didn't improve. Certainly wasn't any deeper than what I was swinging at the time. It made for a good trade though and was glad to be rid of it.
I've also seen you say you never really learned it. Most who make the upgrade from atp to etrac sing a different tune.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
fella, you think all the hype about E Trac is just that? I hope not.
Nope not at all! It's great machine. Users do very well with em.

I've also seen you say you never really learned it. Most who make the upgrade from atp to etrac sing a different tune.
1) True never really became proficient with it. I used it enough (few hours daily for about a month) to know it wasn't what I wanted. 2) I didn't come from the ATP to the ET!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own both and they compliment each other. Etrac for deep coins and the AT Pro with the 5x8 coil for junky iron areas. I know a lot of Etrac users will say hunt in TTF with the Etrac, I just think that the AT Pro has faster recovery speed for those junky areas. Can't beat the 5x8 coil. IMO
Try a small coil with the E-trac and I think you'll change your opinion. You do have to move a bit slower but the results are amazing.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
My self i would say that if you got a Minelab BBS detector that would be a upgrade …. To get a Minelab FBS detector is a downgrade..

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My self i would say that if you got a Minelab BBS detector that would be a upgrade …. To get a Minelab FBS detector is a downgrade..

Excuse my ignorance, what's the difference? (I don't feel like looking it up)

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excuse my ignorance, what's the difference? (I don't feel like looking it up)
BBS is soverigon tech which I own and fbs is explorers and etrac. I like both but do not agree at all with Keppy but everybody has an opinion.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BBS is soverigon tech which I own and fbs is explorers and etrac. I like both but do not agree at all with Keppy but everybody has an opinion.
They're both multi freq right? How are they different?

*edit*
Looked it up (somewhat). BBS goes to 22.5kHz and FBS to 100kHz. Both at 1.5kHz intervals. Is that about it?

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Quattro is FBS.... It finds things deep enough, but to get the most out of it you have to listen to it... If it gets even a little trashy the noise gets bothersome... I just got a Tejon and after using It for a week ...then trying my Quattro for 5 minutes I wanted to wrap it around a tree!

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on an awesome machine! The Sunray X-8 coil was my favorite coil on the Etrac. It is large enough to cover a decent amount of ground and small enough to be used successfully with TTF in trashy iron laden areas. Very lightweight and stable in manual sensitivity.

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is the advice I give to all new E-Trac owners. It comes from 5 years of use.

Before use, you need to read the owners manual. Read it several times. After you play with the detector some, go read it again. It will make more sense now. Do the same with the A.S. book.

To begin, put it in a stock mode, such as the coin mode, or which ever one fits your needs. Now, LEAVE IT ALONE. Don't change anything until you start to really understand it. Constant changes will only confuse and prolong the learning process.

Next, start off in some place easy to dig such as tot lots, volleyball courts, etc. Dig everything that responds, but keep mental notes about TID and sounds. Use these places to practice pinpointing. The E-trac pinpoints great once you learn it, but can confuse you when you're new.

Once you have a solid feel for pinpoint and response, move out into "real" hunting spots. but pick places that aren't extremely trashy. This is the hard part, you have to train your ear and mind. Open up the disc pattern to an Andy Sabich pattern or even more open. Yes, you will dig more iron trash this way, but you will also dig more deep, old, good targets.

The E-Trac is great at ID'ing the Conductive aspect of targets. As targets get deeper, the FE aspect loses reliability. Deep targets will see the cursor "bounce" up and down much more than shallow ones. In time you will learn to recognize the sound of iron falses and how they differ from good targets.

Expect to put at least 100 hours of use on it before you really start to understand it.

Lastly, when you feel ready to start making changes to the settings (other than the pattern) make one change at a time. Go detect and see how that change affects things. Then change something else if you need. Keep making changes this way, because each thing affects responses and some changes interact with other settings. Making lots of changes at once won't let you learn what you are really doing.

OP
OP
vabuckhunter

vabuckhunter

Mar 14, 2011
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Thanks for the advice Jason. I am watching your you tube videos right now and I can say is WOW. What smaller coil are you using and which would you recommend for trashy areas?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread