Soapstone Clamshell?!

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well, not really, but it sure resembles a hinged shellfish. Maybe a quahog( hard shelled clam)?
This was found years ago on high ground west of Greenwich Bay, RI. I've seen this bay referred to as the "quahog capital of the world", so, who knows, maybe it's a shellfish effigy or maybe just a shallow bowl that might have been salvaged from a larger bowl. It's certainly different, with one lug end, and maybe blackened by fire on the underside.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    583.2 KB · Views: 137
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    601.9 KB · Views: 141
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    384.3 KB · Views: 119
Upvote 0

dlos

Jul 12, 2011
Really cool and interesting piece, I agree that it is made in the form of quahog shell. Thanks for sharing!

bsit1361

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2010
md
Hard to say anything different. I'm agreeing with a soapstone clamshell. I guess you would call it an effigy bowl.

Martingeetars

Dec 16, 2009
The south
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is just an awesome piece, it looks to be almost complete, like a spoon. WOW great great find!

OP
OP
Charl

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is just an awesome piece, it looks to be almost complete, like a spoon. WOW great great find!

it does look like a huge ladle, now that you mention it. It is complete, but don't know if salvaged from a bigger vessel, or made this way.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting artifact, looks like there are a lot of ''knife marks'' from use. What does the label read, (second photo/on the left)? Hard to tell what it is made from, what's your opinion?

OP
OP
Charl

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Interesting artifact, looks like there are a lot of ''knife marks'' from use. What does the label read, (second photo/on the left)? Hard to tell what it is made from, what's your opinion?

it's a fairly good grade of soapstone or steatite. The label contains location and finder info.
A farm that's long gone...

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice relic thanks for posting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread