pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Seems like it's the New Year's topic (on the news) about social media making folks feel depressed. So I think it's just basic too much overload for the brain and the feeling of being left out of these social media forum as FB,Twitter, Snapchat....

Do anyone think this holds water what they're saying?

Glad we're all somewhat grounded by digging in the dirt.
Best cure is to stick to TreasureNet and go bonkers looking at some finds posted up while it's frigging winter outside!

Social media is making us depressed: let's learn to turn it off | The Independent

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Is this place social media? I get sad when I see all of the silver flying out of the ground up north. Then I cheer up when the ground freezes up there so who knows? Forget about the beach guys depressed isn't even the word for it!

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Is this place social media? I get sad when I see all of the silver flying out of the ground up north. Then I cheer up when the ground freezes up there so who knows? Forget about the beach guys depressed isn't even the word for it!

Sand diggers depressed? Naw only if there's no eye candy, and sand gets in the shorts. :)

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think most people are a bunch of whiners and social media gives them a chance to inflict their thoughts onto grad students that have to do psych papers.

To them I say: Suck it up, Snowflakes!

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to think that Tnet is a “semi-private” Club of like minded treasure hunter individuals.

Sure we have egos here but that is expected when Treasure hunting is the topic. My coin is prettier and older then yours and my ring is 24K and yours is only 10K but you know that’s what drives us to keep searching for more and better treasure At least we dont post pictures of our food...

650DE472-DFC8-40A3-BCF1-708210070B72.jpeg

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I like to think that Tnet is a “semi-private” Club of like minded treasure hunter individuals.

Sure we have egos here but that is expected when Treasure hunting is the topic. My coin is prettier and older then yours and my ring is 24K and yours is only 10K but you know that’s what drives us to keep searching for more and better treasure At least we dont post pictures of our food...

View attachment 1535339

You're not interested in the Bison pasta sauce?:tongue3:

fuzzy535

Dec 12, 2014
fairview park, ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, ACE 350,
Fisher F4, whites prizm III, bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its seems as FB a social network has/is making people less social. everyone has an opinion and theirs is better than yours. cigar.jpg

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have watched a few documentaries concerning this matter. It has to do with dopamine, they are addicting and FB, and the other social media apps all provide you the outlet for your brain to give you another shot. This happens when you receive likes or gain followers. Many millennials are so addicted, that they grab their phone as soon as they wake up for another dose. Many can't fight the urge to text or peruse their feeds even while they are driving (looking for the next shot of dopamine . About 4 years ago a local young couple was killed. The young husband was texting while driving in the rain with his wife and baby in the car. He was so wrapped up in texting that the car drifted left of center and had a head on collision with a large truck similar to what U-Haul rents. It's so sad, I see more and more cars drifting towards the ditch and center line while driving to work. They were all on their smartphones, not talking, but texting or skimming through their other social media feeds. FB is creating an app targeted towards pre-teens which is designed to get them hooked earlier. Using social media can keep you in touch with friends or family that live far away, but at the cost of nurtured long lasting friendships/relationships with those around you. We have all seen it, a group of teens around a table, none interacting with the others unless via text and most are texting others or in their own little world. I see it in the break room everyday during lunch.

Watch this if you are interested in this topic.

Heck I believe I am not to only addicted to metal detecting, but also Tnet.

I need more LIKES

Last edited:

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's essentially the same thing here as on FB. Post an idea or opinion and there is a like button. See the like and get the dopamine.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have watched a few documentaries concerning this matter. It has to do with dopamine, they are addicting and FB, and the other social media apps all provide you the outlet for your brain to give you another shot. This happens when you receive likes or gain followers. Many millennials are so addicted, that they grab their phone as soon as they wake up for another dose. Many can't fight the urge to text or peruse their feeds even while they are driving (looking for the next shot of dopamine . About 4 years ago a local young couple was killed. The young husband was texting while driving in the rain with his wife and baby in the car. He was so wrapped up in texting that the car drifted left of center and had a head on collision with a large truck similar to what U-Haul rents. It's so sad, I see more and more cars drifting towards the ditch and center line while driving to work. They were all on their smartphones, not talking, but texting or skimming through their other social media feeds. FB is creating an app targeted towards pre-teens which is designed to get them hooked earlier. Using social media can keep you in touch with friends or family that live far away, but at the cost of nurtured long lasting friendships/relationships with those around you. We have all seen it, a group of teens around a table, none interacting with the others unless via text and most are texting others or in their own little world. I see it in the break room everyday during lunch.

Watch this if you are interested in this topic.

Heck I believe I am not to only addicted to metal detecting, but also Tnet.

So true are your words. It's getting to be something that the human race cannot comprehend yet, as the old pass on the new world is taking over in strides-scary in some ways as they'll loose the interaction of the personal meet-ups. Living in a small hamlet we have coffee at the local hall once a week. Dozen folks show up for an hour and half and talk about anything and everything, and social media is in the mix. But so is the interaction amongst the group where it would be lost in a text.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is a cool animation that also illustrates the issue.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Everything I see on social media depresses me.

Except funny cat videos.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
100% accurate. I was all over Social Media in 2014 then I quit Cold Turkey . I cancelled ALL my accounts including my e-mail and started fresh.

This is the ONLY forum I “intereact” with others on. I am now a face to face socialization person. I even gave my Galaxy 6 away. No Smart phone. Not into tracking.

Having this
314B6E8F-BDF8-4272-B375-13F3173A6741.jpeg

Is worst then this
409F86D6-A3B5-4EAF-9810-E2ADC6B19B4B.jpeg

7AADCEC2-35F5-4D3A-856B-605836BBCB9E.jpeg DEF8E0D2-CA02-490A-BFB4-80144052309A.png

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Top Member Reactions