Software defined metal detecting?

Hephaestus

Greenie
Jul 16, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, I was pondering a metal detector the other day, seeing that others find them effective on the NSR helping to find the flake we get around here...

Then I looked at the prices :sadsmiley:

Then brain said "I have wires, I have op-amps, resistors, capacitors, and a dozen or two microcontrollers floating around." This is never a good solution :) I should know better!

So I started eyeballing the example circuits, well shoot - 20$ in shipped discrete components in that circuit could be replaced by an Arduino...

More google, I'm not the first one to have this idea.
(deleted by mod for rule violation, link to another detector forum)

So, question for you guys here... If one was going to DIY a metal detector, for prospecting - knowing it's going to be software definable - meaning I can set individual/multiple frequencies, use processor horsepower to interpret signals, activate / deactivate coils as desired... So what would I be better to use as a starting point.

Thanks in advance,

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

WesP

Greenie
Sep 25, 2012
Mound House, NV
Detector(s) used
Minelab Extera 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have you looked at (link deleted by mod for rule violations, cant post link to another treasure forum) ? These guys are into all sorts of metal detectos and I know there was a big thread on software controlled m/d's.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
H

Hephaestus

Greenie
Jul 16, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Didn't know there were so many MD geeks out there... A lot of those projects died mid build sadly.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hephaestus, very interesting postulating you've begun! Not knowing really what I'm talking about but - the chosen frequency vs the coil type/coil size, the type of signal sent to the coil and how it reacts to all types of naturally existing minerals & rocks in the ground and how to categorize/sort all the return signals and how quickly the detector can sense the signals from one to another could be important to understand. Also, how much energy will it take to do all of this as backpacking in a 7 to 12 pound detector will not be very popular. Again I find your inquiry into the subject interesting though I hardly grasp the subject myself but, keep going and good luck!!........................63bkpkr

185_8515.JPG

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please remember it violates our rules to post links to other treasure forums.... Any links will be deleted.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread