Soggy Day, Good Day

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wednesday was my birthday. I decided to get off my lazy retired butt and go find something. I started out scouting a new permission. It's only 3/4 of a mile south of my house. It's an obsolete corn crib sitting in an ag field where there use to be a house. It was beans last year, and they chiseled it after harvest. It's just starting to melt down and I walked in the mud to see if I could find where the house was.

DSC09180.JPG

There were lots of brick bats and broken pieces of pottery that covered a large area on one side of the barn. I asked the landowner if anyone had detected it and he said not that he knew. His family has owned the land for 70 yrs. It should be a good spot if it ever dries out.

DSC09181.JPG DSC09184.JPG DSC09185.JPG

Next I went to a spot along the creek about 1/2 mi. west of my house. I remembered seeing some bottles in a ditch that ran into the creek when I was bowhunting there several years ago. I also wanted to try and detect the bed of the creek.

I found 3 bottles in the ditch and one that had washed farther down the creek. I couldn't figure out where the bottles were eroding out. Cod liver oil and castoria. Yuk! Glad I didn't grow up in that household.

DSC09186.JPG DSC09187.JPG DSC09189.JPG DSC09190.JPG

I took the AT into creek bed and was thwarted by iron. I couldn't believe how much old iron they had thrown into the creek. Or it eroded down into the creek from the edge.(?) I gave up on the creek bed and went up in the woods, just above where the bottles were. The AT went off and rang up a 76. I hoping for a silver coin, but out popped this spoon. My first spoon, and a nice one. Engraved F. Boyd on the handle. Curious though, would your silverware have your name or your wife's? Three marks on the back. I think the first is a bird, then B, and maybe another bird. Rains started and I left. Bottles cleaned up pretty good as did the spoon. Gary

DSC09193.JPG DSC09192.JPG DSC09194.JPG

Upvote 21

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
nice finds those bottles are way cool

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Very awesome finds. Those bottles are real beauties.:icon_thumright:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow toss some boots on your retired self and rip it up Lol Happy Birthday and those are some great relics looks like a good hunt site Thanks for the great post and story. Tommy

OP
OP
ToddsPoint

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow toss some boots on your retired self and rip it up Lol Happy Birthday and those are some great relics looks like a good hunt site Thanks for the great post and story. Tommy

Thanks. I've been thinking about you Tommy. I'm old and crippled and can't slog though mud anymore, but I have a hillside in a pasture I'm going to do. After your hillside finds, I thought I'd give one a try. I have permission for this one. Check it out! Gary

thumbnail_IMG_1600.jpg

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I sure like that spoon! :occasion14:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. I've been thinking about you Tommy. I'm old and crippled and can't slog though mud anymore, but I have a hillside in a pasture I'm going to do. After your hillside finds, I thought I'd give one a try. I have permission for this one. Check it out! Gary

View attachment 1660644
Gary that looks like a gold mine people sledding running up and down I see it this way change lays in the bottom of your pocket how will it fall out it is on hills where people fall I have found many coin spills and rings ect. Also by trees where people sit study picnic put there valuables if there playing so they don't lose em but they do. Good luck to you My Friend Tommy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread