Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just since I have been metal detecting I have developed a skin condition on my hands. The palms of my hands will get small water blisters sparodically that turn red and itch. Once they pop, they leave a small dark spot until they heal completely. I have tried wearng gloves with water proof palms but it doesn't seem to help. Tried surgical gloves once but they are way too hot and sweaty for this summer digging. The palms of my hands and the insides of my fingers is the only place I get them. I have noticed I get more on my left hand because I usually dig right handed and sift through the soil with my left hand. I'm wondering if maybe it's caused by some kind of insecticide or fertilizer in the soil? Is there a dermatologist or MD detecrorist out there that might render some advice? Surely I am not the only one getting this condition? JIM

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JIM ;

I get it in the webs of my fingers.

? ?I don't get poison, so I doubt it is that.

I very Rarely wear gloves, most of the time, the tips of my fingers get raw from clawing the ground
with them, but still, the only place I get a rash is in the Webs.

YOU MAY BE RIGHT
it may be an alergy to something in the ground.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Athlete's foot-Detectorist's Hand.
Jim, either try Tuff Actin' Tinactin or just send me those old diry coins you're allergic to. J/K ;D

vic910

Bronze Member
Mar 14, 2005
Orlando, FL
Jim, I'm no doctor, but if it's eczema, try making sure you moisturize your hands as often as you can. I was a cashier in a commissary for years and that's when I discovered I was allergic to nickle from handling all the dirty coins. They also could be ant bites. You might also try dabbing the spots with some liquid bleach diluted with a little water. If nothing helps, you'll have to go to the doctor. The ointments they can prescribe are a lot stronger than any home remedies. Good luck!

vicki

weldermark

Jan 17, 2005
LOU-EVIL KY
Detector(s) used
white's DFX
Jim go to your local ace hardware and get a tube of invisible glove three bucks and change it will protect your hands from any germs.

Mark

S

skydiv

since i started mding in spring I got something like jigger bites around my ankles and forearms (itchie) went to the Dr. for allergy tests, ruled out everything but what i was allergic to. still don't know and still have it. I just keep scratching.

E

Einstein

I HAVE THE ANSWER. It is likely the same harsh conditions that tear up a penny in a few months underground. If you get dirt on yourself constantly and live in certain areas then you could be exposed to different natural fertilizers. I would suggest some form of protection both a glove for the dirt hand and some form of topical solution to keep direct contact of soil to your hands less likely. They have a product called liquid gloves. dont know if this helped but a lot of people were giving silly answers...

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll try the liquid gloves first . I have an appointment with a dermatologist but it's 5 months off. The blisters are little bitty things about the size of the head of a pin, no great big sores or anything like that , just annoying. Thanks for the tip on the liquid gloves. JIM

Wayne from Maine

Mar 22, 2005
Portland Maine
I have a bad time with poison ivy. I can deal with it when I see, but the early spring it worse as the roots are even more caustic then the leaves. As you are digging around all the roots look the same. May have nothing to do with your problem, but it is something to look at.

I have been in the medical profession most of my life(ER nurse), it has always been that by the time you can get an appointment with a dermatoligist the rash is only a memory!

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out this morning and forgot my gloves. My left hand, the one that handles most of the soil is all broken out! It's got to be something in the soil that I'm allergic to. For some reason poison oak or ivey has never caused me to break out. I have a friend who can break out and swell up from just walking by a poison ivey plant. He has to go and take shots every spring just to survive the summer! Being pretty much an outdoorsman I have come into contact with poisonous plants often and never had a reaction. I've pulled it by hand, crawled through it, lay down in it and nothing.....never! Mosquitos rarely bite me either for some reason. Just lucky I guess? JIM

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just suffice to say she didn't get it either.....well she got it but not poison ivey! ;) I don't kiss and tell. JIM

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out this morning and wore a pair of surgical gloves. My hands didn't break out ! They sure were hot and sweaty though. When I took them off they were all stained with a substance that looked like nicotine, dark yellowish brown stain. Guess that is what would have been on my hands? Whatever it is it's caustic to me so I guess I will keep wearing the surgical gloves. JIM

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Jim, if anybody starts to bother you especially around the park, just give the glove a little snap and say "Next!"
Sorry, warped sense of humor just kicked in. LOL

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wore the gloves this morning and still broke out a little. Must be some form of dermatitis or leprosy? I'm going to the Doc and get it fixed one way or the other! JIM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions