Sol Searchin Sunday. 1721 A Copper Half Sol.

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Friday I got my big cob, and Saturday morning I pretty much got skunked.
Headed out this morning for some more abuse.
Wasn't finding much, but I didn't want to go home empty handed again.
Put in 5 hours and spent a lot of time in the full sun.
Right at the end of the hunt I got a decent 1721 A Half Sol Copper. 2nd one I have dug from this site.
Would have loved to have stayed longer, but I was needing a break, and at least I didn't get skunked again.

Dirty Pics
P8130014.JPG P8130017.JPG
Post light cleaning
P8130023.JPG P8130024.JPG
Other note-worthy finds. Brass square nail and musket-balls.
P8130002.JPG
My 3 Half-Sols.
P8130038.JPG
The 4 Cobs that came out of this site.
P8130022.JPG

Upvote 22

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks like a good spot!

MUDSLINGER

Apr 4, 2014
Bourbon IN.
Detector(s) used
ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool stuff and with age! I would be needing clean underwear. French drops makes a lot of sense.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amen to that. Good spot. We on rare occasion get one of the French coins back East here.

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good grief look at that stuff. If you dont get to hunt that spot one more time well, you killed it. The cob on the right, the last one you found is my favorite. But I gotta say I like the coppers at least as much. Thats a site you'll not soon forget. :notworthy:

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good grief look at that stuff. If you dont get to hunt that spot one more time well, you killed it. The cob on the right, the last one you found is my favorite. But I gotta say I like the coppers at least as much. Thats a site you'll not soon forget. :notworthy:
Its been one of the best sites I have ever hunted for sure. And sites like this don't come along that often in my neck of the woods. I fear I will be back to digging 20th century silver soon. Fridays cob and the Lima are my favorites. I like the shape and size of Fridays, but I have never dug a Lima, so that one is pretty sweet too. I was really hoping for a nice Colonies Francois. The 2 i have dug from here are toasty. It may not be over yet, I hope..... Thanks.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
great recoveries, the skunked days are to keep us humble for the oh yeah days

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man you are killing it! Great job cleaning the coin-how did you clean it?

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Haha, excellent finds again buddy. You're absolutely killing it. I've never found any colonial French coinage, just post-colonial, so I'm super envious of those beautiful coppers.

It seems you have luck like my own. A quick hunt yields killer finds and then once you dedicate some time...skunked! Lol. Keep at it and you earned yourself a beer *wink*.

Nice finds again bud.

Steve

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Love those Royal French cooper coins
Congrats

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Jesus...your in metal detecting Disneyland. Congratulations!

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Man you are killing it! Great job cleaning the coin-how did you clean it?
Thanks DnD. I did a light toothpicking, then a light room temp peroxide q-tip rub, and then a dip in mineral oil. I may try a little more toothpicking after it soaks in mineral oil for a couple days.

Haha, excellent finds again buddy. You're absolutely killing it. I've never found any colonial French coinage, just post-colonial, so I'm super envious of those beautiful coppers.

It seems you have luck like my own. A quick hunt yields killer finds and then once you dedicate some time...skunked! Lol. Keep at it and you earned yourself a beer *wink*.

Nice finds again bud.

Steve
Thanks Scrappy. The dozer hasn't worked for a few days, so the finds are getting slim.
Seems like a pattern is forming. Im getting skunked one day, and then I go back the next trip and manage to scrape something up. Persistence or Stubbornness pays off.

We don't get a lot of Large Cents down here. Early US coppers and KG's are pretty much unheard of.
This area was colonized by the French in the early 18th century, so at least we are able to get French Coppers from time to time.

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Jesus...your in metal detecting Disneyland. Congratulations!
Thanks Aureus. Its nice to get on a colonial site for a change. Unfortunately like all good things, it probably wont last much longer.
Been hammering this site almost every day after work and on the weekends for close to 2 weeks.

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Aureus. Its nice to get on a colonial site for a change. Unfortunately like all good things, it probably wont last much longer.
Been hammering this site almost every day after work and on the weekends for close to 2 weeks.

If it's a new site than a plow might bring up good stuff a few more times. In any case you have already done extremely well. Those French coppers are phenomenal and in a great condition as well. As I have mentioned, they are a major bucket lister for me. After finding 4 colonial silver French I have none of those copper ones. Again, great job and may you find some more awesome relics over there.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds by the way. Thanks for the post!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread