Solar powered dredge.

creek miner

May 5, 2008
Hi guys,
I'm new on this forum. Well I have a question for the experienced dredge owners. I would like to make if possible a 2" dredge, but instead of using the gasoline powered engine, I would like to use solar powered motor. Now I live in California, so the sun wouldn't be problem My question is, how big electric motor, and how many solar panels ( volts and watts) I should need to operate that 2" dredge. Or is it possible to make it solar powered?
Thank you.

Upvote 0

bigalathenstn

Mar 20, 2007
dont hold me to this,,, but id say you would have to have around 190gpm pump and i dont have any idea on the size of electric motor,but you would have to make it battery opperated and just use the solar panels to charge the batteries,id say, sounds like a fun project though,but gas powered is way way cheaper IMO

Stryker_FO

Feb 22, 2008
White Mountain Lakes
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not sure you could find a electric pump with enough pressure to get the venturi effect.. or enough power thats transportable to power it if you did. Just my 2 cents

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the cost of enough panels to run it or charge the batteries in a decent amount of time would be prohibitive.

I've got this picture in my head of a 2" dredge next to a hillside of panels :D maybe it would be feasible in a couple years the way technologys going!

TOWcritter

I am putting together a portable electric dredge right now. Not a 2 incher, but something a little smaller to help in the cracks and in the holes. I am going to use a 12 volt bilge pump and a portable deep cycle power pack like they sell at auto stores. That and a small , roll up solar panel to recharge the battery and I figure I can get about 4 hours or so of continuous action out of the thing depending on the amp draw of the pump. The rest of the set up is basically going to be pvc and some 3/4" hose and reducers etc. I am going to make an adapter so I can dredge and it will dump into a backpack sluice that I'll put in the streams I'm going to work. I won't need the large volume pump for the sluice, (the stream will provide the power there). The whole package will probably weigh around 25 pounds or less (not including beverages of choice...Beer!) and fit into 2- 5 gallon buckets. I also plan on using some sort of a float tube or such to make it easier on my back! I'll take a pic or 2 when I have it all together. :thumbsup:

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.
I hadn't thought about solar power for a dredge, (likely because I don't use a dredge where I am), but I'm considering a battery powered suction device for the cracks and crevices. Which would in turn be run off of as many solar panels as I can squeeze between the assorted vents on the roof of my trailer. I've even looked at using something similar to Maxwell brand, super, or ultra capacitors, instead of batteries. Even though they're more costly than batteries, they weigh about 1/3rd as much and they last for years. And if I encounter an unsavory visitor, they put out lots of juice, really fast. :o

On the topic of solar power, I thought I'd mention solar furnaces. I've seen some on the web, but mostly the ones I saw were just play things, even though I recall hearing of some that could melt through steel plate. Maybe when I have more time, I'll investigate this further.

F.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TOWcritter said:
I am putting together a portable electric dredge right now. Not a 2 incher, but something a little smaller to help in the cracks and in the holes. I am going to use a 12 volt bilge pump and a portable deep cycle power pack like they sell at auto stores. That and a small , roll up solar panel to recharge the battery and I figure I can get about 4 hours or so of continuous action out of the thing depending on the amp draw of the pump. The rest of the set up is basically going to be pvc and some 3/4" hose and reducers etc. I am going to make an adapter so I can dredge and it will dump into a backpack sluice that I'll put in the streams I'm going to work. I won't need the large volume pump for the sluice, (the stream will provide the power there). The whole package will probably weigh around 25 pounds or less (not including beverages of choice...Beer!) and fit into 2- 5 gallon buckets. I also plan on using some sort of a float tube or such to make it easier on my back! I'll take a pic or 2 when I have it all together. :thumbsup:
Definately post some pictures when you get it up & running! Would be interested in seeing your outfit, and am sure a lot of others would also!

TOWcritter

I have all of my parts assembled for the dredge and got a 12 volt pump from Harbor Freight Tools for $25 that pumps 360 gals / Min. Cheaper than a bilge pump and draws less amps. I think the final weight of the whole setup will be less than 20 pounds. I think it will be a nice little sniping outfit. More to come when the rain finally stops and I can get back into the creek!

Stryker_FO

Feb 22, 2008
White Mountain Lakes
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
whew ok cool thats what I thought you meant but wasnt sure...

how big of a suctions nozzle are you going to have on that..

I have a 1200 GPH pump that I tried a 1.25" nozzle on and all it did was spray water instead of sucking , is it going to create enough pressure to start the venturi effect or are you just going to pump water into the sluice with it.

TOWcritter

I plan on using it for sniping. I'm using it for cracks and crevices, breaking open old bedrock and sucking out the small stuff. And I do mean small stuff. The gold I've been lucky enough to find is in grains and small flakes. So I'm planning on 1/2" PVC and max 3/4 ID hose to connect it all. I'm not a math wiz :icon_scratch:but I just figured that with the smaller diameter of the pvc and the pump output and downsizing the whole rig that the venturi would be there. I'll find out this weekend when I get it all together.

TOWcritter

Just to bring you guys up to date. I got the idea for this "solar electric" dredge when I was vacuuming out the old dirty fish tank water. I have a contraption that one end hooks up to the sink and the other end sucks the "droppings" up into a neat little baggie type thing when you turn the water on. I figured if it can work with fish tanks and household water pressure, why can't it work on small patches of sandy stream bottom that holds some gold underneath old bedrock? I only call it "solar powered" because of the connections for a panel on my little power pack. For now I am just plugging it into the house power to charge it up. It's a nice little thing I got at Costco for $49. Add $25 for the nifty little pump and another $20 or so for the hose and fittings and Ta-Da...for less than $100 a "hopefully" functional little electric sniping outfit! Now the only thing left to do is put it together at creek side and find some GOLD! Pics will follow....

JamesE

Wouldn't it be more efficient to build a PVC Super Sucker to suck out or blow out cracks? :icon_study:
I use the 'tube' from a self feeding paint roller thingy, gives a pretty strong jet and draws well but it's a little long for the pack.

I have a 1200 GPH pump that I tried a 1.25" nozzle on and all it did was spray water instead of sucking , is it going to create enough pressure to start the venturi effect or are you just going to pump water into the sluice with it.
Purely in the sense of trying to be helpful. Are you plugging the end of the jet long enough to completely fill the dredge suction hose?
jim

TOWcritter

I was a little worried too about the pressure. Remember folks, I am only using a 1/2 " pvc pipe to suck up small amounts of material under some rocks and stuff.
I'm not moving mountains yet. I still need to pick up my switch to turn it on and off. Something else I forgot today. With the switch, I can save battery power....hopefully. We'll see tomorrow or Monday. Oh...and the whole thing will be floating too! I like to float lazily along in a few favorite sections of the creek in the hottest month....mask , snorkel , cooler of beverages....

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
I think you'd be able to do just as well with a 'goldsucker' type hand dredge as messin around with small battery operated things... unless you're just out havin fun!

Solar powered?
I'm gonna need to hang with the boogeyman on that one...

If you can afford a hillside of solar panels why are you in the creek goin after flour gold?????

Get some REAL equipment and buy a good claim in Alaska and GET some gold!

HH
rmptr

mjon46

Aug 31, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, I recently purchased the Goal Zero Yeti 400 solar generator and the Solar panel. This thing is awesome. I originally bought it for camping and realized I could use is to use my blue bowl. I now want to design and build a mini dredge using 12v bilge pump that the goal zero with power. Any questions, let me know.

mjon46

Aug 31, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try the Yeti Goal zero with solar panel. I bought one for camping and realized I could use with my blue bowl. It will power any 12v pump. I bought mine at REI

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread