Soldiers Memorial 4th Regt, NYV Heavy Artillery

mrussett

Sep 9, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, Im new to the group.
Can anyone tell me more about this gorgeous piece of history?

IMG_0197-1.JPG

IMG_0216.JPG

Upvote 0

johnnyjohnson2043

Aug 26, 2019
Fort Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a similar one on the Heritage Auction website here: https://historical.ha.com/itm/milit...339.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515.

From what I can see they were made for many if not all regiments that fought during the war. Here is the information on who they were made by and when: Lithographed by Sarony, Major & Knapp, New York. Published March, 1864 by J. C. Fuller & Company, Baltimore. I can't find any information yet on who they were given to or where they may have hung. I'll let you know if I find anything else, though.

johnnyjohnson2043

Aug 26, 2019
Fort Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a similar example of one by a different printer: https://statenisland.pastperfectonline.com/webobject/A0FC3ACF-9A37-481E-9445-584218405530.

In the "Ownership and History" section of the page above it states the following: "This print was given to the Staten Island Historical Society in 1937 by Horace E. Buell. Horace E. Buell was a brother of Henry V. Buell (1845-1864) and nephew of Bennett H. Buell (b. 1837), whose names are among those listed as members of the company."

These could have been printed by a number of different publishers around the country during the war and either sold to or gifted to members of different regiments to memorialize their service.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is a cool looking piece of Historical Art and document as well. I agree with what has been said here. I have seen pics of some of these in the past and they were a presentation certificate or document given to members who served during the American War Between the States showing ones regiment and company and acknowledging their service. Do you own this?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread