cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did your 2017's disappear after getting the solid boxes, or did you continue to see quantities of them mixed in for awhile?
In the beginning I would get 1 or 2 per roll and then all of a sudden solid boxes. I have not ordered in about a month. If I order early on a Friday I have to wait one week. I do not get into town very often to place my order. I still live in town, everything is a 5 minute drive. Lazy I guess, knowing I might get another skunk.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
There's one thing that we are not taking into consideration here, and that is some coin processors BUY FROM EACH OTHER, especially if and when they cannot fulfill the banks order needs. It happens very often in my area. You think that the box come from Loomis when in it actually come from Garda, Brinks etc.

OP
OP
S

scottw

Jul 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am in NE Oregon.
The main population center in my region is TriCity, WA.
It is possible the coins are from 2 sources.
While I do not mark coins, I do set the marked ones aside to compare. The boxes nearly always show to be from different sources. I see 4 major markers, and one box will be full of one individual's, the other holds somebody else's. They are usually not mixed together unless the markings are worn, and show a few dumping cycles since being marked.
One hunter makes a peace sign on the obverse of bicentennials, another makes a cursive m on the obverse of any coin, another dates the coin(usually obverse), and my favorite scrawls some unreadable scratchings on both sides of the coin. What makes this hero special is a predilection for marking proof coins.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You think that the box come from Loomis when in it actually come from Garda, Brinks etc.
Somehow I will try to find this out. The flat box always has LOOMIS on the wrapper. I have point blank asked the teller if they have two carriers and they reply "for security they can not answer" I just don't want flat boxes and they say they can not control. Thet does hint only one carrier that gets coins from where ever they can.

My "Buy" bank is Chase so next time I am in Oregon I will see if I can order a box from a Chase there. It is 25 miles north and maybe a different carrier.

Last edited:

MotherOfGeeks

Apr 26, 2016
Washington
Primary Interest:
Other
My turn, Yay! and damn it. I showed up for my normal 2 boxes of halves for the week and my tellers said they had a total of 5 boxes in the back would i want more. I had the cash for 3 boxes. All 3 boxes were sealed and solid 2018D. I have saved a roll and will toss the rest back tomorrow.

I'm dreading the remaining 2 boxes in the vault. Apparently someone else started ordering halves from my pick up bank and has not picked them up.

NoThisIsPatrick

Jan 8, 2015
Washington
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Scottw,

What city in NE Oregon? I’m planning on starting to hunt a few boxes in the Walla Walla area somewhat soon. I’ll be sure to avoid any banks in your area since that’s your territory!

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My turn, Yay! and damn it. I showed up for my normal 2 boxes of halves for the week and my tellers said they had a total of 5 boxes in the back would i want more. I had the cash for 3 boxes. All 3 boxes were sealed and solid 2018D. I have saved a roll and will toss the rest back tomorrow.

I'm dreading the remaining 2 boxes in the vault. Apparently someone else started ordering halves from my pick up bank and has not picked them up.

Hey MOG! Long time no see. Yeah you're right in my neck of the woods and to hear your pickups are solid too is a bad sign. I'm ordering 2 more this week and if solid 2018 I'm going to hold off for a while

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am in NE Oregon.
The main population center in my region is TriCity, WA.
It is possible the coins are from 2 sources.
While I do not mark coins, I do set the marked ones aside to compare. The boxes nearly always show to be from different sources. I see 4 major markers, and one box will be full of one individual's, the other holds somebody else's. They are usually not mixed together unless the markings are worn, and show a few dumping cycles since being marked.
One hunter makes a peace sign on the obverse of bicentennials, another makes a cursive m on the obverse of any coin, another dates the coin(usually obverse), and my favorite scrawls some unreadable scratchings on both sides of the coin. What makes this hero special is a predilection for marking proof coins.

LOL, I know the "hero" you're talking about... its no me btw I don't mark my coins. He's another hunter in this area and takes his dumps down to Oregon or SW Washington to get his dumps as far away as possible. He's slowed down on the boxes, used to buy $15-20k at a time.

The Peace sign ones I get a lot too. These ones have been more recent within the last 6 months or so.

The other common mark I get is from a hunter who underlines 1974d halves. below the WE TRUST.

OP
OP
S

scottw

Jul 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang! It is a small world!
I did not think anybody else would be interested in torturing themselves with our crazy hobby, at least in our 'small potatoes' location.
While I like to read about dream boxes of old Walkers and Barbers, I realize I will never see one from our sparsely populated area.
Still, you never know what's in that next roll until its opened.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ll be sure to avoid any banks in your area since that’s your territory!
I had a pretty big “territory” When I was so cal, but I knew there was another t-net hunter that sometimes visited some of “my” banks. We talked ocassionally on t-net. One day I was making a deposit of a couple big $500 bags and someone ahead of me was doing the same thing. While we were waiting we struck up a conversation and found out we already knew each other. I have only met one other t-net member by accident, I sold something on eBay and he wanted to pick it up locally. When we met out conversation led to t-net and we had seen each others posts.

MotherOfGeeks

Apr 26, 2016
Washington
Primary Interest:
Other
I just picked up the last 3 boxes at my bank & 2 were solid 2018D. I am hoping this is my last shiney box for awhile, but i'm not holding my breath.

The tellers confirmed there is at least one other hunter who has a standing order for a weekly box & one guy who sometimes drops off a box or 2 of halves.

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My two boxes were not 2018d. Thank goodnes. They were also not loomis, the flat boxes with holes on top... I think Garda...? Loomis have been the solid 2018. Did pull a '63 proof Ben from one, the other was a skunk

OP
OP
S

scottw

Jul 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang.
This 2018D plague continues.
I get 2 boxes per week. 3 out of the last 4 have been solids.
I can deal with 1 per week, but the latest 2 were both solid.
To make matters seem worse, both them had been ripped open, as if someone did some date checking.
I know of one other hunter that also gets 2 per week. He also picks them up earlier in the week than I can. I really hope he is not opening, then refusing them.
It is also possible this happened elsewhere in the chain. I would think they would be taped up, though.
My boxes used to be date stamped. That would be handy now.
The only identification nowadays is a number embossed on one of the minor flaps of the box, the numbers ranging from 1 to 4.
I have been wondering about the meaning of these numbers.

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's sucks Scottw. I got 4 solid boxes of 2018 two weeks ago, last week they weren't solid but mostly 2018 and this week one of each.

They've got to clear up soon, right?!?!

OP
OP
S

scottw

Jul 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The sooner the better.
I've only got 1 box these past 2 months that did not have any 2018's.

MotherOfGeeks

Apr 26, 2016
Washington
Primary Interest:
Other
I thought they were done when i started seeing mixed but mostly 2018D boxes the last several weeks and then one out of my 2 boxes last week was solid again. I've been lucky enough to find a single 40%er in 5 out of the 7 mixed boxes.

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Figured I'd bump this thread for my own sanity, see if anyone else out there is seeing what I'm seeing. The last 5 weeks I've had all solid boxes of 2018 half dollars. I order 2 per week. Anyone else seeing the same?

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Figured I'd bump this thread for my own sanity, see if anyone else out there is seeing what I'm seeing. The last 5 weeks I've had all solid boxes of 2018 half dollars. I order 2 per week. Anyone else seeing the same?

Where are you located? It might be time for you to consider changing banks to one that gets its coins from a different courier (the bank will not usually tell you this useful information due to security). I've not seen this for halves but have seen it for dimes a few times. I gave up on the dimes and focus on halves only. I also get 2 boxes locally in Brinks boxes and they are ok, but not as good as the Garda boxes last year. I also occasionally get Loomis boxes from a more distant bank, but only when they can justify ordering them with their regular coin order and that has been very sporadic. Dunbar boxes are the worst by far.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread