Solid roll pictures!

dreamboxvip

May 1, 2014
IMG_9402.JPG IMG_9406.JPG IMG_9389.JPG IMG_9390.JPG IMG_9403.JPG IMG_9396.JPG IMG_9399.JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

dreamboxvip

May 1, 2014
Thanks! it was my lucky day for sure! I really hope that whoever traded all this in really needed the money. There were six 1950s between both rolls. Four were 1950-d.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Someone sure took a big loss cashing all that in at fv. But whoever it was may have (for whatever reason) got all that for free and thought they were actually coming out ahead by getting just what little cash for it they did. Well, their financial loss and ignorance was certainly your big financial gain that day. Those are the kinda big scores we all hope to find but rarely if ever actually do. But I sure think Im going to be making more of an effort to ask for cwr's from now on.

H$H!

jun808bug

Feb 11, 2014
I never believed solid rolls were possible until I got to experience it myself. Awesome score.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is great.i've been at crh since 2006 and have not gotten a solid roll!
Thanks for sharing.

chacuff

Mar 19, 2014
Gulfport MS
Detector(s) used
Sold out...gone fishing...
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Someone sure took a big loss cashing all that in at fv.

H$H!

I'm not so sure...when's the last time you guys tried to sell this stuff to any of the coin dealers? I'm sitting on my dad's coin collection. He died 11 years ago this year. I'm not a collector but watched him for years work with this stuff. He bought mint sets and proof sets every year. Built full collections of Franklins, Kennedy's, Washington's, Jefferson's and Roosevelt's. He would sort through them and buy the best example he could find of each date and mint mark that he could afford. He ended up with uncirculated mint and proof coins in each spot except some of the really expensive key coins. A few years ago mom told me and my brother to clear out the safety deposit box and split the stuff. We did.

On a whim I took the stuff by a dealer my dad used to buy from years ago to try to put some sort of value on it. I was quickly told the clad was worthless....face only...did not matter if it was uncirculated mint, proof he wouldn't even make an offer. In the split I ended up with the Washington quarter collection....every date and mint mark, coins from mint sets and proof sets where available except for a few key coins....like the 32 which are the best he could possibly afford...a really nice coin. The dealer was only interested in the key coins...the entire remaining collection was only quoted at scrap silver prices. I took it all home...not breaking a quarter collection for scrap that I watched my dad work on for years with such pride. Same deal on his Franklin and Kennedy collections...the guy only wanted to pull the silver out.

It's my understanding that this is common with coin dealers....it appears the bottom has fallen out of the collectables market for coins...unless it's a rare key coin...it's scrap metal.

So...not so sure what a a roll of old nickels are worth....except keys and silver war nickels....I would guess 5 cents....

Cecil

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry to hear about your personal experience with your dad's coin collection Cecil. Probably the best way to get a true value of your dads coins is to check sold ebay auctions of comparable coins. Dealers might be the easiest and quickest way to sell but if you want to get a more accurate price value for your coins you'll have to sell to the people the dealers sell to - although that will likely mean some added selling costs for you unless you find a buyer someplace like Craigslist.

The coin collection that dreamboxvip found is worth considerably more than fv. And it looks like this collection was meticulously put together by some collector also only to have someone else carelessly and quite ignorantly just cash it in at fv at the nearest bank. The silver war nickels right now are worth about $1.20 each and could easily be sold quickly just about anywhere , even for free on CL where I live for at least $1 each which is 20 x fv. And the buffalos look to be in really nice condition and are very popular with collectors and could be sold for around $1 or so each also (depending on date and condition). The intrinsic silver value of the '65 Canadian dimes right now are worth about $1.28 each which is almost 13 x fv. And the key date '50D nickels are probably worth at least $5 or so each depending on condition which is 100 x fv.

Even the most dishonest dealer should be able to offer at least half of the true value of the buffalos coins and '50D's and any semi-key dates and at least 75% of the intrinsic value for the silver coins which is still considerably more than just fv. But whoever had them last was obviously unknowledgeable and probably very disinterested in the coin collection they had acquired (however that may have been) and just wanted the quick cash from the bank. So dreamboxvip definitely made a huge score and profited hundred's of dollars in intrinsic silver and collectable clad coin value from someone else's loss.

Ignorance is bliss but it can also be quite costly as it was for someone in this case. But if the someone in this case didn't have any more interest and respect of someone else's coin collection that they had acquired then to just dump them at a bank for fv then I think they probably got just what they deserved and dreamboxvip was in the right place at the right time to profit from their ignorance and carelessness.

H$H!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
DB, would you like dozens of rolls of solid Canadians? Hit me up

As far as ePay goes, I'ma bout ready to list some burnt toast that looks like Elvis. I hope to make a mint.

OP
OP
D

dreamboxvip

May 1, 2014
Sorry to hear about your personal experience with your dad's coin collection Cecil. Probably the best way to get a true value of your dads coins is to check sold ebay auctions of comparable coins. Dealers might be the easiest and quickest way to sell but if you want to get a more accurate price value for your coins you'll have to sell to the people the dealers sell to - although that will likely mean some added selling costs for you unless you find a buyer someplace like Craigslist.

The coin collection that dreamboxvip found is worth considerably more than fv. And it looks like this collection was meticulously put together by some collector also only to have someone else carelessly and quite ignorantly just cash it in at fv at the nearest bank. The silver war nickels right now are worth about $1.20 each and could easily be sold quickly just about anywhere , even for free on CL where I live for at least $1 each which is 20 x fv. And the buffalos look to be in really nice condition and are very popular with collectors and could be sold for around $1 or so each also (depending on date and condition). The intrinsic silver value of the '65 Canadian dimes right now are worth about $1.28 each which is almost 13 x fv. And the key date '50D nickels are probably worth at least $5 or so each depending on condition which is 100 x fv.

Even the most dishonest dealer should be able to offer at least half of the true value of the buffalos coins and '50D's and any semi-key dates and at least 75% of the intrinsic value for the silver coins which is still considerably more than just fv. But whoever had them last was obviously unknowledgeable and probably very disinterested in the coin collection they had acquired (however that may have been) and just wanted the quick cash from the bank. So dreamboxvip definitely made a huge score and profited hundred's of dollars in intrinsic silver and collectable clad coin value from someone else's loss.

Ignorance is bliss but it can also be quite costly as it was for someone in this case. But if the someone in this case didn't have any more interest and respect of someone else's coin collection that they had acquired then to just dump them at a bank for fv then I think they probably got just what they deserved and dreamboxvip was in the right place at the right time to profit from their ignorance and carelessness.

H$H!

Couldn't of said it better myself. I wonder how many coins i passed up in the past before i knew about silver. In the past i only searched currency on and off to try to find radar notes, low serials and all that good stuff not knowing how much more valuable coins can be. When working at a gas station in 09', i unknowingly gave someone a silver quarter in change and they made a comment. I checked as soon as i got home about "silver" being in coins. I was shocked to see how many were buying on ebay. Its funny because i thought of the idea to buy coins from banks without even knowing crh existed. Sadly i never bought boxes in 09 because i didn't know i could and had great success driving from bank to bank asking for halves. Suprisingly my finds have increased from year to year. More people are cashing in collections unknowingly or they just don't care.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread