Some advice needed, what would you do?

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to a thrift store and they know I'm always buying jewelry. So I bought the bolo and the girl Handed me a single stud earring and said here this was on the floor it's probably fake but you can have it. It's 14 karat gold and has a three-quarter carat diamond in it that's real. It rings higher on my diamond tester then my wife's wedding ring. Should I return it or should I just go back and give them my phone number in case someone comes in looking for it. I have a feeling if I get it back to them they'll never be seen again the stores kind of a mess! So I was thinking just leaving my phone number would be the best option? I'll try to take a picture of it but I don't know if I can on my camera phone.

image-147563242.jpg

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it was me, I would take it to a jeweler and find out what it is worth, chances are the owner will have no idea where they lost it.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
It is nice to see someone who is honest and has good morals.

I too would like to see it returned to its rightful owner, but in this case, it might be impossible.

Yes, someone could have lost that earring in the store, but truthfully, you have no idea where it came from. It could have been lost in someone's home, dropped into a pocket of a shirt, those clothes then donated to the thrift store, and then dropped on the floor by whatever worker was putting those clothes out that day. The possibilities where it came from are endless.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya, that's what my mom thought too. I am going to get the girls that work there pizza or something for lunch one day.

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They know you as the guy that buys jewelery, here, she gives you something she found. Accept it, it is called karma. It was given to you in good faith, keep it, or sell it. Maybe you have something that could use a few bucks right now. Either way, you got it fair and square. Enjoy it. No guilt. If she thought for a second it was real, she probably would not have given it away. You or I would have it looked at or tested before we did anything with it.

RJGMC
HI BOB!

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends is it goodwill or another mark up thrift store. More then likely them places will just keep it and sell it. I'd take it to the police and do a lost and found report. That way after 30 days it comes back. Then id let the store know where it is, leave a detectives or departments card that way the REAL owner will go get it. if you just go in and tell them anyone can claim its theirs. Then your minds clear and no hard feelings anywhere.

On another thought and point, do you turn in everything that you find MDing, or change you find on the ground? Really theirs no difference, that women gave it to you, so I really wouldn't worry about it. But it's up to you.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends is it goodwill or another mark up thrift store. More then likely them places will just keep it and sell it. I'd take it to the police and do a lost and found report. That way after 30 days it comes back. Then id let the store know where it is, leave a detectives or departments card that way the REAL owner will go get it. if you just go in and tell them anyone can claim its theirs. Then your minds clear and no hard feelings anywhere.

On another thought and point, do you turn in everything that you find MDing, or change you find on the ground? Really theirs no difference, that women gave it to you, so I really wouldn't worry about it. But it's up to you.

My cousin found 8 100 oz silver englehard bars in a parking lot. In Tampa. She turned them into the police. 6 months later she had to get a lawyer to get them back. They told her they couldn't find them and they were lost. She got them back though and gave 4 to her church and kept 4. I've asked for one for Christmas every year but hasn't happened yet!

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wanting to do the right thing is always the best thing to do but in this case there is no way you are going to find the real true owner or the chance of it is so slim you have a better chance of hitting the Powerball lottery.

Like has been said in previous replies where it came from (the possibilities are endless). I highly doubt anyone is looking for this earring, it fell out of a pocket of some donated clothes that could have came from anywhere. Doing the right thing in this case is just keeping it & do what ever you want with it.

I know people who get clothes for free at a certain auction I go to weekly, they come in boxes or bags on pallets with other stuff & often the clothes get taken to the dumpster. The people I know take those clothes (the good ones) & donate to goodwill. They would never know if they didn't check all the pockets if anything at all were in these clothes & the clothes were auctioned off with everything on the pallet so it's not stolen & it's sure as heck not missing or lost as the person who bought the pallet of stuff thru it away & another person claimed the stuff then donated that stuff to goodwill so it had 3 potential owners in the span of no time but none of them knew it was there. No harm no foul!

Last edited:

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009

The police may or may not give it back. It depends on where you are. In some locations they keep the item for 30 days (or whatever) & if no one claims it they sell it at auction & keep the money. That happened to a gold wedding band I found.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did check craigslist into that's as far as ago as far as the police department is concerned. I question those who find bags of money iworld and then turn them into the cops some will goto the news if they find that stuff! It's one thing if you find a briefcase full cash at the train station. It's another thing if you're 15 miles in the woods and you find a black bag full of cash. I don't really see the reason of turning it in because obviously nobody lost that out in the woods. I guess that's why don't probably never happen to me! Although when I was younger I did find a bag with money in it and my aunt Made me turn it in because she said the cops would give it back and I was last we saw of that that thing. What made me really upset is that my parents at the time could really use that money.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
While YOU may be interested in doing the right thing, if you turn this in, it will likely never be seen again (not by you or the rightful owner). In cases like this where there is almost no chance of determining ownership, I would have to say just keep it. If you want, you can do something nice to keep the good karma flowing.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going sell it. Use the $ for Xmas presents and send a gift to the girl we sponsor in Kenya for christmas too.

spankster13

Apr 11, 2007
West By God Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites DI5900
Thank you for finding my stud. Please leave your # of where I can find you and get it back. Thats the response you will get. If you post a lost and found. I find more earings on the streets of Wash. DC than you can shake a stick at. randomly ask any woman you see and ask have you ever lost an ear ring and you would be supprised at the answer. Keep it sell it or what ever its your and don't feel guilty. Just my 2 cents.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If if is going to weigh on your conscience, sell it and split the money with the girl 50-50. That would be the technically correct thing to do. And you would probably get first dibs on jewelry in that store from then on out too. lol

Last edited:

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm,

Friend of the family called me one day in distress. His wife had lost a diamond stud earring that he bought for their anniversary.... They pleaded for me to find it with my detector. After looking with my machine for 30 min and testing the other stud to find out the machine won't even pick it up. I stand with my head at a lower angle and eyeball the diamond. They were so happy I found it they gave me $10 now that's not the $100 you may get for the diamond stud but it was nice to know I could help them out. On such an important stone.. My point is that diamond could really mean something to someone. So you should do what you can to find the rightful owner. Tell the store if someone comes looking for it in 90 day's then you should return it. If no one claims it in 90 days keep it !! Just my opinion !

Keep @ it and HH !!

Last edited:

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took it to a jeweler today. They said it was fake then offered me $30!

This could mean two things. Number one (1) the Diamond is synthetic and they offered you $30 for the gold.
Number (2) The diamond is real and they tried to take you... I'm going with number (2) you said it tested high.
However these machines can be fooled by modern fakes. I don't think that you had a 14k gold post that had a scrap value of $30
I presume the diamond is real since its set in 14k and worth around $100- $150

Keep @ it and HH !!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh what fun.
Yes the girls get a cookie or something, just cause their nice to the jewelry hound. Not cause of the earring.If asked ,it might be decent but jeweler don,t think so.
Because you are a regular if its previous owner is a concern just sit on it till a couple weeks have passed ,if you visit store and no one was in looking for it relax. If they have come backtracking looking for it let them provide its mate or if it was a single positive proof of its identity. Or better yet, do what you like.:icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread