Some agates from winter/spring

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought I would share some agate finds from earlier this year that I hadn't gotten around to posting before. I hope you enjoy.

These first ones were found by a lake not too far from where I live. I learned something interesting about this lake. In May I went to the lake and the lake level was so high that it was much harder to search as many of the rocks were under water. I went back a few weeks later expecting the water level to have come back down again but it hadn't. The lake is part of a river and has a dam and so I wondered if they decided to increase the level of the lake. I did some research and found out that in May the lake level is slowly brought up 3 feet and in October the lake level is brought back down 3 feet. This is done every year. The most detailed explanation I found was that it was done for agricultural reasons. Hopefully in the next couple weeks the lake level should be back down and ready to be searched again. :)

Agate-ByllesbyBlueLine-IMG_7063SSS.jpg Agate-ByllesbyBlueLine-IMG_7064SSS.jpg Agate-ByllesbyBlueLine-IMG_7065SSS.jpg

Agate-ColorShape2-03-25-2012SSS.jpg Agate-ColorShape-03-25-2012SSS.jpg

Agate-FebruaryBeachBigChipC1SSS.jpg Agate-FebruaryBeachBigChipQC1SSS.jpg

Agate-FebruaryBeachBottleSSS.jpg

This next one was found near the Mississippi river.
Agate-MississippiPaintedSSS.jpg

These next two were found up on the north shore of Lake Superior.
Agate-SuperiorLongRed-IMG_7059SSS.jpg Agate-SuperiorLongRed-IMG_7060SSS.jpg

Agate-SuperiorOrange-IMG_7061SSS.jpg Agate-SuperiorOrange-IMG_7062SSS.jpg

Happy hunting,
Eric

OP
OP
EricTheCat

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am glad you like them. I feel really lucky that I live in an area where there are agates to be found.

Austin, that ranch looks like a beautiful place. I hope you have fun and find something good.

Upvote 0

Gemsniffer

Oct 2, 2012
1st agate haul.jpg Love your agates mate, very nice, these are some agates & carnelian from down under about a 2hr dive from where we live in NSW. This was our only part of what we found in about 5hrs of sniffing.

Upvote 0

marinedad

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2009
pisgah forest, n.c.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
minelab e-trac and equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
eric, do you polish them up after you find them? those are nice.

gemsiffer, those are nice too, wheres the opals?

Upvote 0

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Lakers, Eric!

Despite my looking for hours, I've never found any decent ones. Lots of Leaverite though.

Of course, it pays to look somewhere besides Keweenaw - that's picked over pretty well.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
EricTheCat

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gemsnifer, that's pretty good for 5 hrs! You have some nice pieces there. They have some good color like the lake superior agates we find here.

marinedad, I have polished some agates. Some with a dremel tool and I am currently working on my 2nd tumble which has been on coarse grit for a little over a month now. Though none of the agates I posted in this thread so far are polished the 3rd one down and the 5th one down are tumbling right now.

Bum Luck, don't give up. Eventually you will find the one that makes it worth it. Keweenaw, MI? That looks like a nice spot to look! So far I have only searched the North shore of Lake Superior. I am hoping the weather will cooperate when I have some time off coming up and I will try to make one more trip to the North shore before winter sets in.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread