Some axe heads I found in a creek

Country Dirt Kid

Tenderfoot
Dec 6, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found some axe heads while walking a creek. I am a bottle hunter so I know nothing about stone artifacts. I picked them up and carried then with me but decided to ditch them because I was filming a bottle hunting video and I didn't think that they were really axe heads. After a while of not finding bottles I went back and got them because I had this sinking feeling in my stomach. If you look at the last picture you can see maybe some petrified adhesive stuff in one of the gouge marks on the bottom of the axe. IMG_4129.JPG
IMG_4130.JPG
IMG_4131.JPG
IMG_4122.JPG
Can anyone tell me anything about these axe heads. I found then in north west Illinois.
Here is a link to some video footage of the scenery if you are interested.

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
More pics of the 2nd one? Don't think the other 2 are anything but natural, just wanna check out no. 2 from different angles...

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
I'm sorry but pretty sure that's natural as well... What area of the world are you searching? Kinda looks petrified-ish...

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Hey CDK, post some pics on this site of the bottles you've found!!!!

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 2nd one looks similar to a Celt/ adze but the material looks like it would fracture too easy for it to have been one . The item in the 1st pic is odd looking , does that hole in the center go all the way thru ? Maybe clean up around it a bit and take another pic

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
you said NW illinois so those are limestone, the circle is a fossil that has eroded out and the shapes are not correct. also...you wouldn't be finding multiple axe heads on a single day in a single creek...

not to split hairsbut no, not artifacts.

...but you MAY have a celt of some sort...give us better pics of that one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread