Some C.W lead from todays hunt

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some C.W lead from today's hunt

Meet up with DHD , he was a little under the weather , first site last week the owner told us to come back but of course his wife answered the door and gave us a big fat NOOOOOO . Whats up with people's wifes lately ????? So we resorted to plan B hit a previous site inwhich DHD scored a nice dropped enfield I managed a nice dropped 54 cal gardner and a 57. cal washington aersenal and two plain three ring .57 cals . So off to the next spot owner said he already cleaned his yard out as he was into metal detecting as well. Fourth place no answer so we called it a day.

So there is always next weekend !!!!! Thanks for looking at my saves.....

Attachments

• rsz_imag0003.jpg
    rsz_imag0003.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 350
  • rsz_imag0004.jpg
    rsz_imag0004.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 363
  • rsz_imag0005.jpg
    rsz_imag0005.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 370
  • rsz_imag0006.jpg
    rsz_imag0006.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 369
Upvote 0

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Some C.W lead from today's hunt

Don't sweat it,nice save's :icon_thumright:

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Teknetics G2, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Good job and pushing on despite obstacles. Well done!!

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congratulations! Nice lead. Looks like you had some moisture?

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey man, you saved a little bit of history there. I actually don't go around knocking, but I know with my past experience on randomly asking owners of property(that I don't know) they always say no. I only have permission from 2 people...both I know and they are customers in our lawncare business. People just aren't trustworthy of others coming on their property. You can tell them until you're blue in the face that you're responsible and you will fill in every hole, show them the finds, help them find lost items...etc. It just doesn't matter for most! :dontknow:

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

In this day and time, if you go hunting for CW relics and recover 2 or 3 good relics and have fun, you have done OK. Permission is getting harder to get all the time. You will have a real good day soon. HH, Quindy.

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I have to disagree. WV property owners may differ from NC property owners then. I posted this on another page but it pertains here:

I equate it to being a door to door salesman. I bring prints of maps, overhead imagery etc, to back up my request. I also offer up some of my finds for them to keep. Telling some property owner that he will have a conversation piece for his mantle piece or office shelf will go a long way. And remember its all about saving the relics so others can look and admire them so, if its the property owner who has it, you have essentially accomplished your goal. If someone says "No" I thank them for their time and wish them a great day.

I have gotten access via the phone and via email too. It is all about selling the "product".

Head up and look forward my friend!!

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Papa Bear said:
I have to disagree. WV property owners may differ from NC property owners then. I posted this on another page but it pertains here:

I equate it to being a door to door salesman. I bring prints of maps, overhead imagery etc, to back up my request. I also offer up some of my finds for them to keep. Telling some property owner that he will have a conversation piece for his mantle piece or office shelf will go a long way. And remember its all about saving the relics so others can look and admire them so, if its the property owner who has it, you have essentially accomplished your goal. If someone says "No" I thank them for their time and wish them a great day.

I have gotten access via the phone and via email too. It is all about selling the "product".

I do most hunting in Winchester, Va. That's where I work. But I have asked 2 people in West Virginia. I asked one woman who has an abandoned house on her property and I asked to detect it and she hesitated...then said you'll have to check with my husband. He maintains the area, but he will probably say no. I still haven't gone back to ask...mainly a time thing(and the "he'll probably say no" thing). He works til 6. I'm either off too early, or working later. Then I stopped at another property where there was an old homesite that burned down many years ago...there was a fella working in the fields, but didn't live there. He told me to go ask the land owner that she probably wouldn't mind if I detected there. Well she owns a fruit and vegetable stand right down the road and I stopped in and asked her and almost before I could get out metal detect she said "NO" shaking her head frantically! Basically told me that she used to let detectorists there, but they were careless. Didn't fill in their holes and left the trash laying next to holes when they found something.

So yeah...you could be the best salesman, but sometimes other people ruin the hobby for the good guys who do right. I'm not completely turned off the idea of knocking on someones door and asking, but that did kinda sidetrack me and I haven't done it since. :dontknow:

OP
OP
Ifoundit69

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

matt092079 said:
Papa Bear said:

I do most hunting in Winchester, Va. That's where I work. But I have asked 2 people in West Virginia. I asked one woman who has an abandoned house on her property and I asked to detect it and she hesitated...then said you'll have to check with my husband. He maintains the area, but he will probably say no. I still haven't gone back to ask...mainly a time thing(and the "he'll probably say no" thing). He works til 6. I'm either off too early, or working later. Then I stopped at another property where there was an old homesite that burned down many years ago...there was a fella working in the fields, but didn't live there. He told me to go ask the land owner that she probably wouldn't mind if I detected there. Well she owns a fruit and vegetable stand right down the road and I stopped in and asked her and almost before I could get out metal detect she said "NO" shaking her head frantically! Basically told me that she used to let detectorists there, but they were careless. Didn't fill in their holes and left the trash laying next to holes when they found something.

So yeah...you could be the best salesman, but sometimes other people ruin the hobby for the good guys who do right. I'm not completely turned off the idea of knocking on someones door and asking, but that did kinda sidetrack me and I haven't done it since. :dontknow:

Welll there are two ways you could look at that ! 1. you lost , she won and you were rejected 2. Or reading the last part of what you said , she saved you a days worth of digging trash by not allowing you at a site that has been pounded and been cleaned out ...

Honestly a couple rejections isnt bad , keep working at it get your speel down and present what you doing in a way they are interested in hearing what you have to say , and couple rejections is part of it I can honestly say try have 8 rejections in one day its happened to me but I still get out there and keep on trying ... worse they can do is say no or hell no get off my land ! All depends on how badly you want a new place to dig ....

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Ifoundit69 said:
matt092079 said:
Papa Bear said:

Welll there are two ways you could look at that ! 1. you lost , she won and you were rejected 2. Or reading the last part of what you said , she saved you a days worth of digging trash by not allowing you at a site that has been pounded and been cleaned out ...

Honestly a couple rejections isnt bad , keep working at it get your speel down and present what you doing in a way they are interested in hearing what you have to say , and couple rejections is part of it I can honestly say try have 8 rejections in one day its happened to me but I still get out there and keep on trying ... worse they can do is say no or hell no get off my land ! All depends on how badly you want a new place to dig ....

Glass is always half full, never half empty. It is also the law of averages. The more times I ask, the more "yes" I will get.

Good luck to everyone!!

PB

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Do you think age has something to do with it? I mean...sometimes I think someone who is older may seem more trustworthy? I am 32 but I look kinda young for my age. Maybe they think I would be wreckless on their property. :dontknow:

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

matt092079 said:
Do you think age has something to do with it? I mean...sometimes I think someone who is older may seem more trustworthy? I am 32 but I look kinda young for my age. Maybe they think I would be wreckless on their property. :dontknow:

In regards to the property owners I feel that it is that and position in life, as in wealth. I was out in a field one day and a property owner for neighboring field drove up. He owns property all over the county. We chatted with him and showed him what we had found and he pointed to his property next door and gave us permission right there. We visited that field about half a dozen times because it was producing and he came by every time we were out there. We made a point of stopping what we were doing and meeting with him. All he wanted to do was see what we found and then ask questions as to what they were used for. The only thing he asked was that we not broadcast the fields location because he trusted us but did not want the whole USA to descend on his property.

In regards to us, as rescuers of history, I do not think age is the issue. I am ONLY 45 and I look younger that most 45 year olds. It really does have to do with that first contact. It is almost like a job interview. I do my research on the property I am interested in. I will ask the owner if they were aware that.......an old house was on the property, a colonial road ran through the property, a CW camp was on their property, what ever it is.

If it requires an hours drive to knock on someones door, then that is what I will do. I am still working a property in Jones County, NC. I have been for 2 months. I have had email traffic, and three phone calls with the property owner. It is now up to him contacting the guys that leases the hunting rights from him. I will be calling him this week again.

Do not get disheartened. :icon_sunny:

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE

Nice CW saves.
Dman

oldsalty19