Some clad, wheats, and silver

jude061

Mar 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We're finally getting a new deck at our apartment, so I took the opportunity to do some detecting, of course. It's around 90 and humid here so it was a short hunt, but I managed to score a clad quarter, a badly corroded1914 wheat cent, and a 1960 Roosevelt. Not too bad for not detecting since April, I guess.

On another note, I picked up an early U.S. Marine Corps marked mil-k pocket knife for short money out of a junk knife bin at a local antique store yesterday. From some cursory interwebz research, it appears to be a 1944 Kingston-made knife. I guess that could count as a "find" right?

Upvote 2

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
photo_camera.gif
How about a picture of the "U.S. Marine Corps marked mil-k pocket knife?"

OP
OP
J

jude061

Mar 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a picture of the knife:
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1497367348.347512.jpg
There was a small chip in the blade which I ground out, intending to use it.
From what I've read on various collecting forums:
"U.S. Marine Corps" was used on these knives in 1944 and 1945, rather than the more common USMC. There is no easy-open cutout on the spike side, the cap lifter has the m-1 takedown stud, and the main blade and cap lifter are on the same end of the knife, where the modern configuration has the can opener. They were made by Kingston, and some had the bail marked and some did not (this one doesn't). There are no markings on the carbon steel blade.

I thought it was a pretty good find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread