Some decent stuff and a first for Nate

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
I Got in a couple of hunts last week. One quick hunt with Dan and another one on Sunday that was a about 6 to 7 hours with Dan, Nate and I. Friday Dan and I resisted the urge to go back to the place we had just found two large cents and a barber. We wanted to give Don a chance at finding a LC since they would be hunting the site the next day.

Today was a tough day of hunting. Battling prickers, saplings, dead branches, golden rod, sawgrass, you name it – it was there. At least the weather was nice and It was the first full day of hunting I have done with my son since August. The day started slow with the usual stuff:

Oct28misc.jpg

The most memorable came at the end of the day. We found a new site that had two very old wells. I worked around the first well and got an IH. Nate was working the area too. After a bit I went across the road to the second one. This one was even more impressive.

Welltop.jpg

Oct28Well.jpg

After working the area I dug up a V Nickel(couldn’t tell at the time). I then went back and told Nate that I had found an old nickel and that the hunting conditions were better where I found the nickel. So I hunt some more and Nate comes over and he inquires about the Nickel. “What is it?” he asks. “I don’t know. I’ll have to check it later” I reply. Annoyed that I didn’t want to immediately find out what it was he asks “Why not just do it now?” So, back to the car I go to get my toothbrush and some water. As I’m working on it at the car Nate comes running back and exclaims “Oh yeah, I scored!” It was a ______! See his post:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,116339.0.html

Coin stuff:

CoinsA.jpg

Also found a beat up old silver spoon with some engraving on it:

SpoonEngraving.jpg

Dan told me that these markings on the back tell that it was made in England:
TrademarkA.jpg

Finally, what I though was a grommet turned out to be a token with a hole in it. The front reads “Very Good Groceries” but the back is hard to read…??? Too bad. Would have been a very cool token. As it is I guess it’s ok.

VeryGoodGroceries640.jpg

TokenBack.jpg

JDelone800.jpg

HH all and enjoy the fall.

Bob

Upvote 0

Mike95inNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 2, 2006
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Troy Shadow X5, Minelab Musketeer Advantage
Nice day you had there Mirage. Be careful around those old wells. Take care.
HH, Mike in NJ

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds Bob and great pics--That IH is in good shape.

mountainplayer

Oct 10, 2006
Way Northern California
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 & Minelab EX2
Hi Mirage. Awesome finds, and as usual, awesome photos. I'm kind of curious about the item in the top middle of your first pic. Looks like it could be half of a mold for lead balls? Am I seeing things? I spent my last two hunts digging hundreds of lead fishing weights at a local drawn-down lake, so its entirely possible I just have lead poisoning.

MP

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet group of finds, Bob. You guys have some great spots up there.

Nate wanted you to go clean that V nickle so he could jump on that well spot. It worked, didn't it. You left and he score the LC. ;D

Ken

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice site and nice finds. Congrats.

OP
OP
Mirage

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Thanks Nick, BDoo and all.

Kas said:
Sweet group of finds, Bob. You guys have some great spots up there.

Nate wanted you to go clean that V nickle so he could jump on that well spot. It worked, didn't it. You left and he score the LC. ;D

Ken

:D Ken, It's fine with me - If I had found that LC I don't think I ever would hear the end of how earlier in the week Dan and I went off and found our Large Cents without him. ;D

mountainplayer said:
Hi Mirage. Awesome finds, and as usual, awesome photos. I'm kind of curious about the item in the top middle of your first pic. Looks like it could be half of a mold for lead balls? Am I seeing things? I spent my last two hunts digging hundreds of lead fishing weights at a local drawn-down lake, so its entirely possible I just have lead poisoning.

MP

MP - It is a curious item. I have a jig mold for making jigs. It is different than this one. This mold looks like it was made for lead balls - possibly for shotguns?

Bob

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"So I hunt some more and Nate comes over and he inquires about the Nickel. “What is it?” he asks. “I don’t know. I’ll have to check it later” I reply. Annoyed that I didn’t want to immediately find out what it was he asks “Why not just do it now?” So, back to the car I go to get my toothbrush and some water. As I’m working on it at the car Nate comes running back and exclaims “Oh yeah, I scored!”

Classic!!! What are kids for? ;D Are we there yet? ;)
Great finds Bob. Those well spots look like great spots to hunt. Thanks for the pix.
I saw Nate's find too. Awesome!
-Doug-

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sound's AND Look's like the perfect day Mirage....Take somethig in there and "bush hog " the place,shouldn't take that long depending on the size,even the smallest sapling can piss a grown man off!!Nice Day.....HH!!

rebelLT

Feb 26, 2007
SE Kansas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE PRO, XLT, Teknetics Omega
nice spoon there. It appears to be coin silver. Good coins also.

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe
WOW ~ you got some great treasures there! Sounds like you had a great time! VERY NICE!!!!

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds Bob. You Nate and Bob are on a roll again. I know you are going to be hitting it hard while the weather holds. I know Gary and I are. I have been working so darn much this year, that it has been getting in the way of our hunting. But the extra money comes in handy for that new coil and headset I just bought.

Keep those great finds coming. Looks like those hard luck tokens, have had some hard luck in Ohio's hard soil. LOL

HH, Ringfinder

OP
OP
Mirage

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
ringfinder said:
Great finds Bob. You Nate and Bob are on a roll again. I know you are going to be hitting it hard while the weather holds. I know Gary and I are. I have been working so darn much this year, that it has been getting in the way of our hunting. But the extra money comes in handy for that new coil and headset I just bought.

Keep those great finds coming. Looks like those hard luck tokens, have had some hard luck in Ohio's hard soil. LOL

HH, Ringfinder

Denny,
I'm sure you will make up for lost time in the next month or two. Nate has had very limited hunting the last few months but now with cross country over he can do the all day Saturday hunts. :)

rtde3 said:
I love the train & the bottle check token! The pics are nice also! Congrats!

Thanks Bob - I guess the pit is closed for the season. :'( Maybe you could find a site with some civil war stuff......

Bob

mountainplayer

Oct 10, 2006
Way Northern California
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 & Minelab EX2
MP - It is a curious item. I have a jig mold for making jigs. It is different than this one. This mold looks like it was made for lead balls - possibly for shotguns?

Mirage - Yes, it looks like a "one size fits all" mold for musket balls and/or shotgun pellets (buckshot size). I guess if you were the proprietor of a general store back in those days, you'd choose to stock items that had the most utility, and a mold with multiple calibre balls would make sense. Pretty interesting item anywhere, but especially cool given the age of the relics you guys are finding at the same site.

MP

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread