Some find coins but I found the slab

WilliamBoyd

Sep 22, 2007
California
Some find coins but I found the slab

post_slabfound.jpg

I found this item while walking up a road in the hills near where I live.
It was laying near an old automobile wreck.

It is a graded coin holder known as a "slab" for an 1897 silver dollar.
The initials "ICG" is the Independent Coin Grading Company.
Looks like somebody cracked it open and removed the coin.

:)

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
might have been a looted coin collection --look about they might have ditched the non silver coins nearby :wink: say cents too lazy to worth that hard for a cent

UTcoinshootR

Mar 5, 2008
UT!
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, DFX300
Some paranoid tweeker probably thought it could be tracked. I bet he ruined the coin.

rogues71

May 9, 2009
mesa az
Detector(s) used
whites mxt
i would swing around the area you found the slab you never know what people drop

hammong

Aug 29, 2009
Old auto wreck, $250-300 coin broken out of it's slab. Sounds like a crime scene. Odd as it may sound, might report it to the police to see if anybody reported it stolen (the coin, and/or the car).

Greg

nova

Jan 10, 2009
Utah
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT //Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most likely stolen if the loot was resold in the slab it could be traced on the serial # on the slab. I don't think a collector would do that expecially that high of a grade 65

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
if a theif were to jack a coin collection * the first thing would do is get the coin collection to a out of the way "safe spot " to deal with it --- the first thing they would be to do get it out of its "IDible" serial # 'ed holder--- ( that way it can not be positivily IDed as the stolen coin since one coin looks like another once outside its "serial #ed container") so they can then turn it in as "scrap silver" at melt value or take it to a coin shop to sell as "gramps old silver coins he left me " :wink: -- the crooks would go after the high value gold and silvers -- often the lesser coppers and such would be chucked in a hole and buried or thrown aside most likey -- that spot if its in a out of the way place might have been used in just such a way.--the car might be a stolen car used in the robbery and torched afterward . --fairly common trick used by pro crooks so that their cars and car tracks do not get IDed at the scene of the "crime"

M

michigan michael

I feel sorry for the kids that swiped that from their dad for spending money! :-\
~MM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions