Some Finds From A Hunt With My Dad-Lots Of Pictures

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got to hunt with my father again today after a long period of time when he wasn't physically able to hunt. He started having problems with his knees about 10 years ago and he wasn't able to walk through the fields anymore. He had both knees replaced about a year and a half ago and is now able to get back out to hunt as long as the conditions are right. I found a field that had just been disced and planted and was rather flat so he was able to hunt it with me. It felt really good to get back out with the man who started me on this incredible 44 year journey I have been on collecting artifacts. He didn't find much, but he did find one really nice point and a few brokes and we had a really good time hunting together again, something we haven't done in a long time. He is 75 now and I was amazed at how well he got around through the field.

We found three nice whole points, a Bifurcate, a Stemmed Point, and a nice large Side Notch that resembles a Thebes but there is no grinding on the base at all though is does show some beveling from resharpening. We also found two nice Scrapers and a nice little Hematite Celt. We also found a few broken pieces and a Concretion Cup. I got a lot of in situ and in hand pictures of just about everything we found except for the Hematite Celt because I didn't realize what it was until I picked it up and cleaned it off.

Here are the pictures.

In situ and in hand of the Bifurcate. It is a classic example of a Bifurcated Point with the burin flakings removed from both sides of the base.
New01.jpg

New02.jpg

New03.jpg

In situ and in hand pictures of the Side Notch and one of my father holding it.
New08.jpg

New11.jpg

New12.jpg

In situ and in hand picture of the Stemmed Point my father found. This is made of a really nice colorful Flint Ridge flint.
New15.jpg

New17.jpg

Both of the Scrapers in situ and in hand. The first one is really nice and it has a great edge and an engraver spur on one side.
New04.jpg

New06.jpg

New07.jpg

New13.jpg

New14.jpg

The days finds.
New22.jpg

The three best points of the day.
New23.jpg

The Bifurcate showing the burin flake on one side of the base. The other side is done the same way.
New24.jpg

The best finds of the day.
New25.jpg

The best Scraper showing the really nice edge and the engraver on one side.
New27.jpg

The small Hematite Celt. It has a really nice sharp blade on it.
New28.jpg

This last picture is one of my father off in the distance hunting the low spot in the field. I tried to convince him there wasn't anything down there, but he went down anyway and tried and didn't find anything. I figured since he hadn't hunted in so long that I would just let him go and hunt wherever he wanted.
New18.jpg

Upvote 0

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
Very nice hunt DorkFish. Glad you could share it with your father. Give him a little time to get back in the swing of it and he'll probably start showing you up. :wink:
Randy

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
A great hunt with yer dad, nice memories, not to mention major finds. :thumbsup:
When my dad had his knees replaced, he wanted to go pheasant hunting again, after years of not being able to.
We'll have to do that, and soon.
Nice post Dorkfish.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a show. Oh man you will always remember these hunts. He looks strong enough to plow that field. Good for you all. Great great post and finds.
TnMountains

abarnard

Apr 10, 2009
Beautiful artifacts. Man, I love those scrapers, what great tools.... Love the color of the lithics... Thanks for sharing, must have been a good time with pops out in the field...

paleojoe

Mar 31, 2008
Really good day Dork. Wish I could have been there,But glad that you got the chance to get your Dad out.Maybe one day I can go with you two. I would like to hunt with the man that got you started. If you think about it, I would not be hunting if it was not for him. I will stop by when you are off and check out your finds.

F

Flintfinder of Mo.

Glad to see your Dad out hunting again. I can not even imagine getting to old to hunt. So congrats to the both of you on a fine hunt. John

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Steve. Good to have some quality time with your father.
Thanks for sharin'

Molly.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread