Banjoben

Greenie
Dec 27, 2014
Southern Tier N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello all, I'm a newbee here. I just got a new Fisher F2 for Christmas, and I took advantage of the nice weather today and hiked out on my cousins land (with him) to a pair of cellar holes, a house and a barn, a good half mile in the middle of nowhere. The "road they are on has been nothing but a jeep path since the beginning of Jeeps, and the cellars were already disappearing into the ground in the 50s when my grandfather first bought the property. Needless to say, they have not been hunted with a detector before, at least not that I know of. There wasn't a ton to find, but I did get some good scores. The best find of the day was the lantern part. When I cleaned it up it still had bits of wick in it! There is a nice pewter spoon with some pattern on the reverse, a couple of flattened out lead bullets, a deer slug, a small buckle, and plenty of big flat pieces of iron I did not bring home. The Big tack buckle and the hoe I found at the barn.
I'm sure there are more things in the area, and I also know of another cellar further up in the woods we are going to look for next spring.
289.JPG 291.JPG

gldnbrew

Feb 16, 2013
The 1000 Islands, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and ATMax, 8.5 x 11, 5 x 8 & a Super Sniper - Pro-pointer.
Fisher F75 LTD, XP Deus - 11", Garrett AT and AT ZLINK pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Why wait! weather doesn't look that bad to New Years. After all it's a LOOOOOOOOOOOONG WINTER here in NYS, get out while you can. :laughing7:

OP
OP
B

Banjoben

Greenie
Dec 27, 2014
Southern Tier N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You got a good point there!!! I'm sure any warm day I can use I will be out hunting. Two things I learned yesterday as a newbee. First, in the woods everything is root-bound. I should have brought the sharper serrated trowel I have, as my Gator digger was struggling to cut through roots. secondly, the only good pair of boots I have are my work boots. my Steel-toed work boots. What a pain! First item on my list of hunting supplies is a good pair of waterproof hiking boots. without steel-toes!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
You got a good point there!!! I'm sure any warm day I can use I will be out hunting. Two things I learned yesterday as a newbee. First, in the woods everything is root-bound. I should have brought the sharper serrated trowel I have, as my Gator digger was struggling to cut through roots. secondly, the only good pair of boots I have are my work boots. my Steel-toed work boots. What a pain! First item on my list of hunting supplies is a good pair of waterproof hiking boots. without steel-toes!
For the roots take small set of pruner sheers or get a AM Leonard tool they will cut through just about any root.. 4750.jpg some garden centers sell them they are heavy and strong and will cut through roots like hot butter www.amleonard.com

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread