Some Finds From A Woodland Village Site

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This site isn't very big, maybe 150 yards long by about 50 yards wide, but it's right on the banks of the Ohio River and has produced some fine pieces in the past 10 years or so. This Woodland village is only a 1/4 mile down river from the Goldcamp Site, a very large Ft Ancient village site, and dates from early Woodland to Late Woodland which is evidenced by the stemmed Adena points and the Triangles. I went up Sunday morning and hit the site as soon as the sun came up and didn't do to bad. I found a couple of heartbreakers that would have been killer if not broken and I did find a few decent pieces. I didn't get any in situs again because it was raining and I'm not taking a chance of ruining my new camera.

The first picture is the days finds right after I got home and laid them out before cleaning them. The top row is a Gorget preform that they had already started to square off the sides, a large crude Flint Chisel, a decent but crude black Knife and a broken Celt. There is also a broken Gorget on the right and the few points and Flake Knives I found.

The 2nd picture is the Celt, Chisel, Knife and Gorget Preform all cleaned up. If you look closely at the Gorget Preform you can see where they were squaring of the sides.

The 3rd picture is of the points found, including a Lerma type blade, a small Hopewell Point with both corners of the base broken off, some typical Triangles from the site, and 2 typical square base Knives found here.

The next three picture show both sides of the broken Gorget. It is made of some very chalky white material with dark bands running through it. You can see from the drilling that it is definitely Woodland since they drilled almost all the way through on one side and just barely tapped the other. If I'm not mistaken that is early Woodland and possibly Adena.

The last few pictures are of all the other pieces I have from the site including they tray of the nicest pieces, some Pottery Shards of which 95% are grit tempered, some more Stone Chisels, and some Flake Knives..

Attachments

• Bonzo002.jpg
    Bonzo002.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 396
  • Bonzo004.jpg
    Bonzo004.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 382
  • Bonzo007.jpg
    Bonzo007.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 388
  • Bonzo008.jpg
    Bonzo008.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 395
  • Bonzo009.jpg
    Bonzo009.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 394
  • Bonzo012.jpg
    Bonzo012.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 377
  • Bonzo022.jpg
    Bonzo022.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 392
  • Bonzo018.jpg
    Bonzo018.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 406
  • Bonzo019.jpg
    Bonzo019.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 386
  • Bonzo016.jpg
    Bonzo016.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 382
  • Bonzo015.jpg
    Bonzo015.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 376
  • Bonzo028.jpg
    Bonzo028.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 376
Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boy that field has kicked out some nice ornaments for sure.No wonder you keep going back. Interesting to see the broked gorget at the hole. Nice example of what a hold look like. I like that Lerma Blade and the big worked tools. Nice hunt SRV. :thumbsup:
hh
TnMtns

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread