Some Finds in Western PA

Hutch in PA

Nov 18, 2010
Western PA
Found a couple of keepers this weekend. Will post a better pic of the red/yellow tonight. It's a reall beauty. I'm not sure of the material...it's not flint ridge. It was hard to miss against the back drop in the spring. The other point is a bifurcate...I've only found a handful over the years.

Attachments

• Point in Spring.png
    Point in Spring.png
    149.4 KB · Views: 373
  • Point 2 In Hand.png
    Point 2 In Hand.png
    107.5 KB · Views: 392
Upvote 0

ohio

Bronze Member
May 28, 2007
Those look like two really nice points from where I am sitting. Show us cleaned up shots!

Chuck

ohioaxeman

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2007
sandusky, ohio
Hutch. love the colors in the first point. Can we see bigger pictures of them especially the 2nd one? I dont think its a bifurcate. A bigger picture will help us with its true identity! :wink:

OP
OP
Hutch in PA

Hutch in PA

Nov 18, 2010
Western PA
Agreed, I believe it is yellow jasper. I will post better pics tonight. If it is yellow jasper, does that mean it came from the Eastern side of PA?

jeff a

Sep 16, 2008
ne ohio
i find unworked yellow and red jasper just west of youngstown in the glacial till,i dont know where the glaciers brought it from or if its the same jasper thats in eastern pa

OP
OP
Hutch in PA

Hutch in PA

Nov 18, 2010
Western PA
Here are the two points. I love the deposits on the jasper. Upon closer inspection, the other is definitely not bifurcate. I was actually thinking of a different point I found last week. Will post sometime. Any opinions welcome. Also, check out my next post. Geofact?

Attachments

• Jasper Plus.png
    Jasper Plus.png
    111.9 KB · Views: 340

artorius

Jul 30, 2008
Pennsylvania
Hi Hutch,

I am aware of three major sources of jasper in Pennsylvania: the high-quality jasper found near Vera Cruz (Berks/Montgomery/Lehigh Counties); a generally more grainy jasper centered around Elkton, Maryland and extending into the extreme south-western corner of Chester County, PA; and a grainy and matt colored jasper found in Centre County (Houserville jasper). Your piece looks to me to be most like the high-quality jasper found near Vera Cruz, and I would guess that the stone probably originated from there. I agree that the point appears to have been heat-treated. Nice piece!

artorius

OP
OP
Hutch in PA

Hutch in PA

Nov 18, 2010
Western PA
Thanks for all of the opinions. I did a quick mapquest, and Artorius, if you are correct (which I believe you are), this material traveled a little over 250 miles to reach its final resting spot. It sure must have meant a lot to someone...

artorius

Jul 30, 2008
Pennsylvania
Hi Hutch,

Nice quality flints did travel. The very first artifact I ever found (I was 8 at the time) was an expended Kirk corner-notched point of Coshocton flint. I found the piece in a gully near a parking lot outside of Philadelphia, but the flint originated near Columbus, Ohio. I believe that flint travelled about 400 miles to reach its resting place, over the Appalacians, and without helpful rivers to facilitate the journey.

artorius

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread