Some fragments from a B-17 crash site. Request of identification.

Matteo La Boccia

Apr 21, 2007
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are some fragments from crash site who noticed on HOUSTON CHRONICLE here:
WWII airman's family receives surprise pieces of history - Houston Chronicle

Some idea about these fragments?
Best regards from SALERNO AIR FINDERS
www.1943salerno.it
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/129119250509719/

Electric engine. For what?
dvc06649.jpg

dvc06650.jpg

dvc06651.jpg

Pistol fragment?
dvc06652.jpg

What?
dvc06653.jpg

What?
dvc06654.jpg

What?
dvc06655.jpg

Upvote 0

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Every American-made airplane flown in WW II was equipped with Grimes lights (red-green-white).
Some history: Raised in an Ohio orphanage, Warren G. Grimes (1898-1975) ran away after finishing the ninth grade and at age 16 went to work for the Ford Motor Company in Detroit. He later became a partner in an electrical business where he was instrumental in designing and developing the first lights for the Ford Tri-Motor airplane. In 1930 Grimes moved to Urbana, Ohio and founded a small lighting fixture plant, Grimes Manufacturing. The inventor of the familiar navigation lights found on the wing tips and tails of aircraft, Grimes, known as the “Father of the Aircraft Lighting Industry,” also developed other aircraft fixtures, including landing, instrumental, and interior lights.
I believe Grimes Mfgt. Co was later acquired by Honeywell Aerospace Corporation.
Don..

Metal Magnet

Bronze Member
Oct 26, 2010
OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every American-made airplane flown in WW II was equipped with Grimes lights (red-green-white).
Some history: Raised in an Ohio orphanage, Warren G. Grimes (1898-1975) ran away after finishing the ninth grade and at age 16 went to work for the Ford Motor Company in Detroit. He later became a partner in an electrical business where he was instrumental in designing and developing the first lights for the Ford Tri-Motor airplane. In 1930 Grimes moved to Urbana, Ohio and founded a small lighting fixture plant, Grimes Manufacturing. The inventor of the familiar navigation lights found on the wing tips and tails of aircraft, Grimes, known as the “Father of the Aircraft Lighting Industry,” also developed other aircraft fixtures, including landing, instrumental, and interior lights.
I believe Grimes Mfgt. Co was later acquired by Honeywell Aerospace Corporation.
Don..

Awesome history tidbit there..thanx for posting! Local history for me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread