Some great scores today - with low volume!

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
I haven't had too much cash this week (trying to get my cc's paid off) so I've been hunting on a low budget. But so far I've had a really great weak CRHing. Today I only had about $30 - $40 to work with but I managed to make the most of it - with the help of a lot of luck. I started off at the first bank dropping a $30 dump of nic's and cents from yesterday to get some cash. Then I hit a few more banks - no luck - then I got 2 rolls of halves from another bank - skunked on those - dumped those as well as another $10 in halves I had in my car at another bank across the street that had a coin machine - so that gave me $30 cash to go with the other $10 I still had - so now I had $40 to work with. Then 3 more banks and only 2 clad halves. But my next bank was a winner. They had 15 big "Liberty" dollar coins and $5.50 in halves the cute blond teller told me. I said "can I buy them?" She asked if I had an acct there and I said no (sometimes I tell tellers when they ask me this that I haven't decided yet) and she said "well, we're not really supposed to but I guess so" (something like that) - and I'm sure glad she did. The "Liberty" dollars were all (not surprisingly) dirty clad Ikes but I really scored on the $5.50 in halves: (3) 40% silver and (1) 1964 and I was a happy hunter. Then I dumped the Ike's @ one of my banks down the street 10 min's later to get more cash - no halves there. A little later I hit a WF and got a couple of more rolls of halves there with what cash I had left and the teller told me she had about $260 more so I said I'd probably be back soon for the rest. I checked those halves but got skunked so I dumped those coins at another bank down the street that had another coin machine and when I went to the teller to get my cash (and $10 in nic's) I asked if he had any half dollars and he said he had one so I said I'd take it thinking it's probably just a clad but .....it happens to be a 1958 Franklin that he said he just got 2 customers before me - I may even have walked past the guy as I was coming into the bank. That's what I would call lucky timing. The coin has sort of an unusual slightly dark patina - it might be proof but I'm not sure. And I'd post some pic's but I don't have a camera.

So for the day I managed to use my $40 to get almost $50 in silver - more than a 100% profit - not bad for one day. Even better than investing in tech stocks during the NASDAQ bubble or investing in real estate during the housing bubble. But pm prices are far from a bubble right now which makes CRHing even more worthwhile. And btw, my job requires me to travel around different parts of town throughout the week so I managed to hit all these banks without really driving much out of my line of travel and while putting in a full day's work. That's one of the thing's I like about my job - It's great for CRHing.

So so far I've had a great week CRHing on a small budget. Tues I posted that I scored about $11 (1 - 40% half and 2 silver nic's) just using $32.50 ($30 in nic's & $2.50 in halves) so I got about a 35% return on my money that day and just yesterday I scored a 1920 wheat cent, a partial date 1920 buffalo nickel and even my first magician's half using about the same budget.

I've certainly been having great luck CRHing on a small budget and as of tomorrow I am planning to start increasing my budget and allocating more money to CRHing and start buying some boxes again - I hope this doesn't change my luck. But I've been doing this long enough now that I now I've had a really good week. But I tend to have pretty good weeks like this just using a small budget.

Silver @ face is definitely for me. HH.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
SilverFace

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Btw, sorry for the long post - I know it probably takes longer to read than it does to search half a box of halves. Just shows how much I love CRHing - because I hate typing.

OP
OP
SilverFace

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
I forgot to mention - I got all my scores today without searching a singlle roll - these days are sweat. That's CRHing on a low budget!

OP
OP
SilverFace

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
SilverFace said:
I forgot to mention - I got all my scores today without searching a singlle roll - these days are sweat. That's CRHing on a low budget!

sorry - I forgot I did search a few rolls of clad halves but not many compared to my scores.

HH

OP
OP
SilverFace

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
ramjet2187 said:
Great job, Dude. Way to persevere. You got about as much in a day as I did this month searching 1K bags of halves..............

thanks, my CRHing techniques seem to be somewhat different than others based on what I've been reading here. I've only ever bought one $500 bag of Brinks halves (my bank only gets them this way) and I got skunked so I've just been buying the half rolls and loose halves that banks already have available but I tend to find a fair amount that way where I am and I've had pretty good luck doing it this way the past couple of years -probably well over 100 40% halves and dozens of 90% halves (not bad I think for the low volume I do) including some Franklins like just today but still no WL yet. Yet. But that Franklin score today seems just a little sweeter knowing how quick I got it. The coin was probably in the bank for less than 5 minutes before I got it. I've never really had any luck at that bank before and I almost didn't stop there but maybe I was so hungry to score again I could just smell the coin driving down the street. No, I'm not that good - it was just pure lucky timing.

I love CRHing! HH

OP
OP
SilverFace

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
I managed to score pretty good again today. I decided to take a slightly different way home from work today so I could check a bank I haven't checked in a long while even though I've never had any luck there before - and I'm sure glad I did.. I went thru the commercial drive thru and asked the teller if she had any half dollars or big dollar coins I could buy. She said she would check then told me she had 7 dollar coins and $12 in halves. I bought those as well as $20 in nickels. A minute or so later I took a look at the dollars and halves and again not surprisingly all the dollars were clad Ike's but I really scored with the halves. Of the 24 coins I got (7) 40%er's - all 1968D's. It's been a really good week for me so far and I've had pretty good luck overall the past couple of years with my method of CRHing halves. I don't usually order them so I don't usually hunt in large volume but I suppose I do a rather large volume in terms of the number of different banks I check throughout the week which seems to give me pretty good scores without having to use a lot of money or searching through a lot of coins (halves anyway). Plus I don't really use in extra gas money stopping at these different banks because of the nature of my job which requires me to drive around different parts of town throughout the week so these banks are usually all just in my line of travel anyway. My job is great for CRHing.

And since today is payday and I've got cash again I decided to buy a box of dimes (I think this is my first), a box of cents and about $90 in mixed nickel rolls so I'll have some coins to search this weekend. If I have some nice scores I'll post my results.

HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread