Some hardstone from the mantle

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
A number of years ago, my wife asked me to clean up the "rocks" on the mantel. You may have read about this in the past. This request happened maybe 10 years back. So I removed all the relics, boxed them up, and put into a storage bin in the barn.
MVC-375F-2.jpg

Since that time, I have had the good fortune of filling the mantle back up with found hardstone.

But this is about those boxed relics.
So with the cold temps now set in, and having enough firewood seasoned for the next number of years I decided to dig into the storage and think about lightening my collection as I get up in years.

I am going to post images of a relic from the storage every few days. The majority of these I picked up in the 90s and early 2000's. Some I have not seen since boxed up.

This is the first. This 5-inch three quarter groove axe was picked up along with a very large square poll celt and a tube pipe part. There are a few plow strikes on the face of the axe, remember this was the time of deep moldboard plowing. This is a field Darrell and I hunted regularly, but this one time is the only time I found hardstone in the field.
20231230_100259.jpg

20231230_100302.jpg

20231230_100305.jpg

Upvote 16

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice one. I miss walking the plowed fields. I never found any like that though.

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice axe. I’d love to find just one axe or Celt. Bring on the others, I don’t know if I can comment on all of them but don’t mistake that for a lack of interest.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread