Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday I finally had a chance to go out swingin. We had 8 inches of snow and the temps have been in the 20’s so no melting. I decided to try going east to campus and found that the temps had been above freezing, the snow was not deep and there were actually some bare spots so I gave it a shot before the new snow hits and the zero temps arrive.

The temperature was in the mid 30’s so I started out in the snow and soon my coil was covered in snow and every time I dug my shovel and bucket lid would have snow clinging to them when I got back up. The snow clung to my gloves and melted making my hands colder. After about an hour my hands were numb and I was sure I would have to stop. I found a spot under some pines where the snow had been lighter and blown away in the high winds and since my hands were not constantly being cooled by melting snow they started to warm up. So after that I went from bare spot to bare spot and did a little in the snow as I went from one to the next.

I ended up detecting for 4 hours. Nothing super to report, but at least I got out and I did find a few interesting things and some gas money. Altogether 67 coins with a face value of $3.84, 2/3 of a hand forged horseshoe, an older style Cub Scout neckerchief slide mangled by a mower, a wheatie, a key and a cheapy skull earring.

CE821756-766E-4EC2-9576-4791BBF03F15.jpeg

The horseshoe has long heel and toe chalks that look like they were made for snow and ice.

2B54A301-BD87-4045-8930-2668842D2872.jpeg

I found a few copper and brass items along with the usual canslaw, tabs, foil and such. Half of a hinged brass ring, a utility pole cable tensioner, a connecter or joint, the inner frame of a clock, an unused copper rivet and a connector plate with threaded holes. All will be recycled so not a total loss.

5D810581-D0E4-40A9-887B-56B9B9CB7C64.jpeg

As I said nothing great, but a good time outdoors with money for gas. Maybe the next trip will be better. You’ve got to get out and dig and keep at it if you want to find the good stuff. Campus has been good to me and I am sure there are more goodies waiting to be found.

Thanks for looking and may your coil lead you to good things and may the ground thaw quickly where you live.

Upvote 16

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man when I was young I used to love going out in the snow. Now I want nothing to do with snow! And you're out swinging in it! lol. Nice finds! Congrats! :icon_thumleft:

JoeVal

Oct 28, 2018
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 & 800
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Bounty Hunter Tracker Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did the opposite today...worked the snow covered areas and avoided the bare spots because they were frozen solid from nights of sub freezing temps, and daytime temps barely at freezing with no sun. I’m pretty much frozen out at this point because we haven’t had enough snow to insulate the ground from freezing. Fortunately, we leave for Florida on 1/30 for 2-1/2 weeks in Cape Coral. Nothing but detecting, fishing and relaxing.

Racso

Apr 26, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the nice finds. Hope you can keep getting out there, HH.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I say you had a good hunt considering the conditions, congrats! :occasion14:

Brendan75

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2017
Pretoria
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800/ Garrett AT pro/ Minelab X- terra 305/ Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, nice finds. Congrats:icon_thumleft: i love the Cub Scout neckerchief slide.

Ozark Redneck

Oct 14, 2018
Dover Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds glad you could get out I say it's not the finds as much as the hunt Our ground is not frozen just mud and nasty

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did the opposite today...worked the snow covered areas and avoided the bare spots because they were frozen solid from nights of sub freezing temps, and daytime temps barely at freezing with no sun. I’m pretty much frozen out at this point because we haven’t had enough snow to insulate the ground from freezing. Fortunately, we leave for Florida on 1/30 for 2-1/2 weeks in Cape Coral. Nothing but detecting, fishing and relaxing.

If it had been below freezing I probably would have stayed in the snow as well, but the melting snow just seems to cool my hands faster and make it harder to warm them.

The next opportunity to hunt will be after the big freeze coming so I may not get out for a while. The wife is talking about visiting her brother in Cape Canaveral next month so maybe I will get a chance to hit the beach for some goodies. It doesn’t look good for local hunting for a while to come.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you got out a lot of the fun is what you might find. I detect in the winter also ground permitting Dress right and you wont even notice the cold. Good post

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread