Some kind of military light?

akenney13

Feb 8, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Came across this item. It’s marked BEC 1942. Wondering if it’s militart possibly. I’ve not been able to find any info on it. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting item.

Is it a kerosene/oil lamp? Two wicks?

Can you give an idea of size?

If you think it is military, which military? Where are you located/where did you get the piece.

It looks to me like this part fit inside some larger housing.

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It looks to me like the lantern part of a "Magic Lantern" which is an early slide projector. If you google it and search images a lot of them turn up....

I thought the same thing - slide projector. But 1942 seems late for a kerosene lamp projector. I would expect all electric by then.

This one is 1897. You can see some similarities with the OP's item:

mcal_lecturer1.jpg

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1942 may not be a date but a patent number.

magiclantern patent.JPG

Pretty sure the OP item is the lantern device from a slide projector circa 1900.

Upvote 0

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not convinced it's magic lantern related yet. I agree with Matt about it looking like a piece of something larger. What do the knobs do? Anything besides turn? What about the big knob in the first pic, does it unscrew? Are there any electrical components in it? Do the "viewing holes" have glass in them? What size is this thing? Need more info. Interesting item.

Upvote 0

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what about a signal light of some sort?

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not convinced it's magic lantern related yet. I agree with Matt about it looking like a piece of something larger. What do the knobs do? Anything besides turn? What about the big knob in the first pic, does it unscrew? Are there any electrical components in it? Do the "viewing holes" have glass in them? What size is this thing? Need more info. Interesting item.

I watched a couple of YouTube vids (that makes me an expert now, right? :laughing7:) demonstrating magic lanterns. The small knobs are to adjust the 2 lantern wicks - missing from the OP's item - and the large knob moves the parabolic mirror to focus the light on the lens - that was, presumably, on the housing that is missing from the OP's item.

The large hole in the back is for viewing the flame. Not sure why that was needed, but they all seem to have some way to view the light source - even ones with electric or carbon arc light sources.

I'm convinced.

Upvote 0

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watched a couple of YouTube vids (that makes me an expert now, right? :laughing7:) demonstrating magic lanterns. The small knobs are to adjust the 2 lantern wicks - missing from the OP's item - and the large knob moves the parabolic mirror to focus the light on the lens - that was, presumably, on the housing that is missing from the OP's item.

The large hole in the back is for viewing the flame. Not sure why that was needed, but they all seem to have some way to view the light source - even ones with electric or carbon arc light sources.

I'm convinced.
The more I look at it the more I see how it "could" be a partial one or the light source for one. It definitely looks like a burner of some type. I think the large screw type knob is for filling it up. I think the long slotted holes are for wicks as you mentioned.

Upvote 0

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does it have a cord to plug in ? Are there any tubes inside ? How much does it weigh ? Are there any female holes to plug in male adapters ? Maybe the answer is in the Crystal Ball.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread