WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
We went to visit my in-laws last weekend in western KY. I had plenty of photo opportunities as they Have a Butterfly bush in their rock garden.

bumblebee hummingbird1.JPG This is a bumble bee hummingbird. Boy, are they fast!

bumblebee hummingbird2.JPG They are about the size of your thumb and really do look like a bumble bee.

bumblebee hummingbird3.JPG I took hundreds (or tried:tongue3:) of pics and these three are the only half-way decent ones.

flower1.JPG I forget what kind of flower this was. I only took two pics of it. My father-in-law really liked this pic.

flower2.JPG Again, I don't know the flower. There is a bee in there.

kybutterfly1.JPG Eastern Tiger Swallowtail More pics below

kybutterfly2.JPG

kybutterfly3.JPG

kybutterfly4.JPG I believe this is a Spicebush Swallowtail

kybutterfly5.JPG Or maybe it is a Dk Female Eastern Tiger Swallowtail :icon_scratch: More pics below

kybutterfly6.JPG Tawny Emperor ???

kybutterfly7.JPG American Lady ???

kybutterfly8.JPG ???

kybutterfly9.JPG

kybutterfly10.JPG

kybutterfly11.JPG

kybutterfly12.JPG

kybutterfly13.JPG ???

kybutterfly14.JPG Eastern Tiger Swallowtail

kybutterfly15.JPG ???

kybutterfly16.JPG

kybutterfly17.JPG I went ahead and posted this one. After I cropped it, I noticed I had the other butterfly in the background and I thought it added to the photo.

treefrog4.JPG This tree frog had himself positioned on the barn right under the light. Supper time!

Thanks for looking!

~Sis

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Very pretty pictures Sis and so colorful :notworthy: In my youth ( :laughing7: ), I could have named off all the names of those butterflies and moth, but now :BangHead:

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some wonderful photos. Love those butterflies. The first critter is actually a hummingbird moth. Tree frogs are cool. The definition of just hangin' out.

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Kray is right, hummingbird moth. Bumblebee hummingbirds do exist, but mainly portions of lower Mexico. Still, EXCELLENT pictures. :notworthy: :notworthy:

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Then, last night, I took some pics. None of them turned out very good, but I wanted to share. Mr Wd had passed this dead raccoon on the road in front of our house. Another car was coming the other way, and, as it passed, he looked in the rearview mirror. To his surprise the raccoon stood up! Then, he noticed it was stumbling around like a drunken pirate. Well, he went about his business of yard work, while I was out digging up fence. I guess we were at it for a couple hours. My arms were shaky and I was beat, so I called it quits. MR WD came in the house and asked if I wanted to take pics of a raccoon. Well, YEAH! He told me what he had seen earlier and thinks it may have distemper or something. An impromptu photographer I am not. I couldn't get it figured out for anything.

racoon1.JPG

racoon2.JPG He/she was eating the minnows that the bass had knocked out of the water. I watched him fall down a couple times.

kildeer.JPG Then I heard this killdeer carrying on.

kildeer2.JPG Apparently she was calling her chick

kildeer and chicks.JPG Oh there were 2

kildeer3.JPG I watched and tried to get a pic. Those 2 chicks crawled up under her wings. As I was going through the pics, this was the only decent one that came out. As I was editing it, low and behold, I noticed a third chick!

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Some wonderful photos. Love those butterflies. The first critter is actually a hummingbird moth. Tree frogs are cool. The definition of just hangin' out.

Thanks, Kray. Some how I knew you would be one to help me ID and get it straight. :notworthy:

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Very pretty pictures Sis and so colorful :notworthy: In my youth ( :laughing7: ), I could have named off all the names of those butterflies and moth, but now :BangHead:

Not me. But my daughter sure can!

Kray is right, hummingbird moth. Bumblebee hummingbirds do exist, but mainly portions of lower Mexico. Still, EXCELLENT pictures. :notworthy: :notworthy:

Thank you, Simon. I will use that information when I clarify the ID to my father-in-law.

" Chic Magnet " :laughing7:

LOL!

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful photos, WD! Now you have to see my part of the state when it's springtime, and everything is blooming, and the turkeys come out in droves.

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Beautiful photos, WD! Now you have to see my part of the state when it's springtime, and everything is blooming, and the turkeys come out in droves.
=======
And the Copperheads and Water Moccasins........................???

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the pics! Looks like a great place to vacation!

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The butterflies have got to be in heaven by the looks of it!! Great pics :thumbsup:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those are some excellent pics. Nice to know you are good at something

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other

Thank you, Rusty. We did see a turkey, but I didn't have the camera. I don't think I have ever even driven through your neck of the woods.

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
=======
And the Copperheads and Water Moccasins........................???

There are four venomous snakes in Kenucky: Copperhead, Pigmy rattlesnake, Timber rattlesnake, and Western Cottonmouth. All four can be found in the region my in-laws live. :BangHead:

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
The butterflies have got to be in heaven by the looks of it!! Great pics :thumbsup:

Thank you civilman1. They really loved that butterfly bush. We used to have one, but it died after one year. I think I want to get a couple more and try again.

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Love the pics! Looks like a great place to vacation!

Sorry, SD, I missed your post. :tongue3: Thank you, I am glad you like them. We used to go down to Lake Malone which is sort of close. Big bass in that lake!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread