Some love for the tellers...

Virgil

Sep 25, 2012
Georgia (And that's as specific as it's gonna get!
Detector(s) used
Eyes and hands, mainly. Sometimes I whip out the ol' sniffer...
Primary Interest:
Other
I know there's a lot said on this board about how much tellers suck, and a great many of them certainly do (boy, do they), but I felt I should convey a recent story about one who made my whole CRH day. You see, I was on vacation with my girl a few weeks back, and as I am wont to do nowadays, I corralled her at the end of the trip for some local CRHing before we left. In the course of the calling phase, I came upon one bank that said they were out of halves, except for one coin that one of the tellers had in her drawer. Since it was on my way to another bank, and given some luck I'd had with the whole teller drawer situation in the past (I once got a pristine '65 from a teller drawer at a bank that refused to sell any from the vault - Ha!), I decided to stop by.

I get there, and see there's only two people at the front counter, the head teller and another teller backing her up. No customers inside, so we get a chance to talk, which is nice. I mention the half dollar, and the head teller grabs it from her backup teller and gives it to me. It's a 1934 Walker! I ask how they got it, and the backup teller tells me an old man came in and gave it to her to give to her children. Hearing that story, I tell her she should keep it and give it to them. She says it's all right, that I can have it. Since I try to be straight with folks (and also because I'm a bit of a self-sabotaging moron) I tell her she's got a $12 coin there, and she really should give it to her kids to save. She then tells me she can't, since she has 2 kids, and she knows they'd just fight over it. At this point, I'm feeling all nice and crap, so I offer to pay her above face value for it. The head teller quickly speak up and says that's not allowed. I ask the backup teller one last time if she's sure (again, I'm a moron), and she still insists, lol :p So... yeah, I walked out of there with a Walker and paid face value for it, even with my honesty :) Considering I only got one silver-clad out of all the other banks combined, this was awesome, and it's only my third Walker ever! They were great folks, and complete strangers to boot. I wish I'd had two silver-clads with me to give to her, for her kids - she deserved them!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
Good story. Sometimes it pays to be honest. Most bank tellers are not allowed to accept more than face for any coin that is property of the bank at that time. Congrats on the Walker!

jkng

Sep 14, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you for being honest with them, I do the same thing :)
Happy hunting, may your hunts be ever prosperous.
Wickaboag.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread